Homemade Lion El' Jonson rules (30k)

Guest Metaliptica

Guest Metaliptica

Hi All !
I've recently acquired Lion Knight from kabuki studio and want to play him as the primarch of the 1st while waiting for the official sculpt and rules. I came up with what seems (to me) like a solid representation of the primarch but all feedback is very welcome. Long story short, I took inspiration from Horus and Russ rulewise (made sence lorewise since both Horus and the Lion were racing to be warmaster, and that Russ and the Lion seems to be equals when it comes to HtH combat) Thanks by advance for your time to read and here it is :

Lion El Jonson                                                 470 points

The Knight Lord of Caliban, The First, Supreme Grand Master of the Order, Primarch of the Dark Angels.
Often referred to as the Lion, Lion El Jonson was renowned for his tactical acumen, as much as his prowess with a blade. During the Great Crusade, it was said that the race for the position of warmaster has always been a two-horse race between the Lion and Horus.
It is during the infamous Thramas crusade that the Lion’s skills were truly put to the test. A test that would change him for the rest of the Heresy.

WS      BS         S         T         W         I          A        Ld      Sv

Lion El Jonson                       9          5          6          6          6          7          5         10       2+

Unit Composition

• 1 (Unique)

Unit Type

• Infantry (Character)
Wargear
  • Squire
  • The Lion sword
  • Frag grenades
  • Aegis
Special Rules
  • Primarch (Independent Character, Eternal Warrior, Fear, Adamantium Will, Fleet, Fearless, It Will Not Die, Master of the Legion, Precision Shots, Precision Strikes)
  • Sire of the Dark Angels
  • Preternatural Tactitian
  • Grandmaster of the Order
  • The Tuchulcha Engine.
  • Bulky

Option 

Lion El Jonson may exchange his Lion Sword with Wolf Blade at no additionnal cost.

Lion El Jonson may be chosen as a Lord of War choice for Legion Astartes (Dark Angels) army list

The Tuchulcha Engine

Lion El Jonson and his command squad if he chose to have one (may it be power armored or terminators) are allowed to Deep strike, and do not scatter while doing so.

Grand Master of the Order

While fighting in a challenge, Lion El Jonson gains the preferred enemy special rule.
Veterans and terminators squads may also be taken as troop choices If Lion El’ Jonson is present in your Army.

Preternatural Tactician
He may redeploy 1d3 units after infiltrators have been set up
He may choose his warlord trait from the Strategic Traits of the Age of Darkness rulebook.

Lion El Jonson allows units with the legion astartes (dark angel) special rule to deep strike when equipped with any kind of terminator armor.

Sire of the Dark Angels

Lion El Jonson has the Blade Master and Monster Hunter special rules.
When leading a Dark angels army, all units with the Legion Astartes (dark angels) rules gain the rending special rule when using a sword type weapon and automatically pass Fear Tests.

Blade Master: While in close combat, The Lion will always hit his opponent on a 3+, regardless of any modifiers or his opponent’s WS.

The Squire

Weapon            Range      Str         AP           Type

Squire                   18"         5             3             Assault 2, Rending

The Lion Sword

Weapon            Range     Str           AP      Type

The Lion Sword Melee     8              2        Melee, Two Handed, Deflagrates, Slayer

Slayer: Wounds caused by this weapon cannot be saved or regenerated by the Feel no Pain or It Will not Die special rules.

Wolf Blade
Weapon            Range         Str        AP      Type

Wolf Blade         Melee         +2          2         Mele, Two Handed, Instant Death, Shred

Aegis: Confers Lion El Jonson a 2+ armor save, a 4+ invulnerable save, as well as providing immunity to both rending and shred special rules.

Guest Metaliptica

Thanks man. I've playtested them a bit and the interception rule was too powerfull against my opponents (I'm facing Horus, and Russ mainly). I've changed the profile and some rules accordingly. Feel free to comment if you got idea or feel like it's too powerfull.

Lion El Jonson                                                 470 points

WS      BS         S         T         W         I          A        Ld      Sv

Lion El Jonson                       9          5          6          6          6          7          5         10       2+

Unit Composition

• 1 (Unique)

Unit Type

• Infantry (Character)
Wargear
  • Squire
  • The Lion sword
  • Frag grenades
  • Aegis
Special Rules
  • Primarch (Independent Character, Eternal Warrior, Fear, Adamantium Will, Fleet, Fearless, It Will Not Die, Master of the Legion, Precision Shots, Precision Strikes)
  • Sire of the Dark Angels
  • Preternatural Tactitian
  • Grandmaster of the Order
  • Bulky

Option 
Lion El Jonson may exchange his Lion Sword with Wolf Blade at no additionnal cost.

Lion El Jonson may be chosen as a Lord of War choice for Legion Astartes (Dark Angels) army list

Grand Master of the Order

While fighting in a challenge, Lion El Jonson gains the preferred enemy special rule.
Veterans and terminators squads may also be taken as troop choices If Lion El’ Jonson is present in your Army.

Preternatural Tactician
He may redeploy 1d3 units after infiltrators have been set up
He may choose his warlord trait from the Strategic Traits of the Age of Darkness rulebook.

Lion El Jonson allows units with the legion astartes (dark angel) special rule to deep strike when equipped with any kind of terminator armor.

Sire of the Dark Angels

Lion El Jonson has the Blade Master and Monster Hunter special rules.
When leading a Dark angels army, all units with the Legion Astartes (dark angels) rules gain the rending special rule when using a sword type weapon and automatically pass Fear Tests.

Blade Master: While in close combat, The Lion will always hit his opponent on a 3+, regardless of any modifiers or his opponent’s WS.

The Squire

Weapon            Range      Str         AP           Type

Squire                   18"         5             3             Assault 2, Rending

The Lion Sword

Weapon            Range     Str           AP      Type

The Lion Sword Melee     8              2        Melee, Two Handed, Deflagrates, Slayer

Slayer: Wounds caused by this weapon cannot be saved or regenerated by the Feel no Pain or It Will not Die special rules.

Wolf Blade
Weapon            Range         Str        AP      Type

Wolf Blade         Melee         +2          2         Mele, Two Handed, Instant Death, Shred

Aegis: Confers Lion El Jonson a 2+ armor save, a 4+ invulnerable save, as well as providing immunity to both rending and shred special rules.

I think the deep strike rule should only count for Terminator units, or at most Terminator and Veterans units, similar to Perty, and apply to any rather than one. Though, I suppose I can see the appeal of having free deep strike to any infantry/dread unit with the catch being only the one.

Otherwise I think you've done well costing him and balancing out the duelist and the strategist aspects of the lion

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Metaliptica

Thanks for the feedback. After some playtesting, turns out that beeing abble to deep strike a dread and the Lion is too much indeed (in my defense, I forgot that dread also had the legion astartes rule ...)
Therefore, I removed the abilitie to DS the lion and one unit and replaced it with the abilitie to DS units equiped with Terminator armor. As a compensation, I also raised his WS to 9 after some talk with my opponents.
I quite like where he's at right now but feel free to give me feedback.

Archived