GSC FAQ

TrawlingCleaner

The FAQ has gone up on the 25th for those not aware and not a lot has changed. They've clarified a lot of the stratagems such as not being able to use perfect ambush or the other redeploy strats out of a vehicle which I think is fine and honestly how it should be. Mind control was changed so that it still goes off even if you get equal to their leadership. Normal mining lasers are now D6, which imo is pretty damn big for us. Footslogging neophytes just became way more scary. Biggest surprise was that Mental Onslaught wasn't changed.

What are your thoughts? Any Changes you expected or didn't expect?

Not sure if you saw the draft for the FAQ that some people saw, found it interesting they were going to limit mental onslaught to 6 mortal wounds max and decided not to.

Mining lasers being d6 is fully how it should be and a fantastic boon to bladed cog neophytes.

Interesting that the perfect ambush had to be clarified and it says when they are setup or arrive as reinforcements, technically the unit inside the transport doesnt count as being on the board until they are out the vehicle and so seems pretty clear cut to me.

I feel there are tonnes more weird interactions that could do with clarifying also, but they come up so rarely i understand why they didnt.

Not sure if you saw the draft for the FAQ that some people saw, found it interesting they were going to limit mental onslaught to 6 mortal wounds max and decided not to.

Mining lasers being d6 is fully how it should be and a fantastic boon to bladed cog neophytes.

Interesting that the perfect ambush had to be clarified and it says when they are setup or arrive as reinforcements, technically the unit inside the transport doesnt count as being on the board until they are out the vehicle and so seems pretty clear cut to me.

I feel there are tonnes more weird interactions that could do with clarifying also, but they come up so rarely i understand why they didnt.

I find it bizarre that they didn't change it in all honesty, right now with the right characters and the right placement we have the potential to instant kill a knight with nothing that it can do about it, scary stuff

Thats true, but like all leadership bombs they rely on taking a multitude of characters / powers to get the leadership up (or down on the enemy). Clamavus, Locus, Patriarch with Mental Onslaught, perhaps a tyranid psyker for the horror etc. It wont be every game this happens, maybe 1 in 4 or 5. 

This is why I dont think it needs an adjustment. Also once you've done it once your opponent will never let it happen again

Thats true, but like all leadership bombs they rely on taking a multitude of characters / powers to get the leadership up (or down on the enemy). Clamavus, Locus, Patriarch with Mental Onslaught, perhaps a tyranid psyker for the horror etc. It wont be every game this happens, maybe 1 in 4 or 5. 

This is why I dont think it needs an adjustment. Also once you've done it once your opponent will never let it happen again

I second this. My last game I got my characters out of position and wasn't able to get it to work. I could basically buff leadership with a clamavus OR use it to get a charge off that I really needed.

I picked the charge, a lot has to go right for this power to be truly nasty.

A couple of mates flipped their :cuss about the Mental Onslaught trick, even after I explained that 1) most people wouldn't build an army around that and 2) it required a lot of planning, good placement, and some amount of luck to work. :facepalm:

Anyway, I agree that unless it's something starts ruining games on a frequent basis, it doesn't need to be nerfed. And overall, glad that they clarified a certain number of things. :tu:

There are a number of tricks like this for every codex. The harlequins have one that can do a mortal wound on a 2+ for every miss the enemy does in the fight phase and when coupled with powers strategems etc will make marines hit on 6's. When I told my brother about it and about the GSC mental onslaught he went bat s**t crazy. But it takes so much finesse and not a small amount of luck that, when you actually look into it, it's not overly powerful

With just a Clamavus, a Patriarch is leadership 11. Many tanks are only leadership 7. If using mental onslaught, that means there's a 11/12 chance to do a mortal wound before we even factor in a potential command point reroll. That means that when targeting, say, a Leman Russ, there is about a 50% chance of doing 8 mortal wounds and a 35% chance of doing the full 12. That certainly is fairly powerful with minimal support.

Oh yes, certainly, but not OVERLY powerful and for the most part I will almost always take it on the Patriarch.

People's surprise at it not being addressed in the FAQ is more to do with being able to just auto kill a knight by getting the LD up high enough.

You're totally right, I never really took into account how much resources you need to put in to do that. Tbh it's very fair as it currently is

Oh yes, certainly, but not OVERLY powerful and for the most part I will almost always take it on the Patriarch.

People's surprise at it not being addressed in the FAQ is more to do with being able to just auto kill a knight by getting the LD up high enough.

In fairness, it's the ability to kill a knight if you can get several models pretty close, then successfully cast several psychic powers. After that, it's death for the knight, but it's not automatic.

Since the discussion about Mental Onslaught went into quite a bit of detail but is worth keeping and potentially discussing further, I've split a number of the more in-detail posts from this thread and created a new thread with them. It'd be great if we could keep this thread for dealing with the FAQ/Errata in more general terms and not just focus on the lack of Mental Onslaught nerf. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Note to self: always check the english FAQ and the FAQ in <local language> for changes.

The <local language> version of the codex is missing the "selected to shoot" part from the extra explosives stratagem (amongst some other translation mistakes affecting game mechanics). *shakes fist at translation and proofreading teams*

At least now I know why everyone is/was so hyped about the atalans.

Archived