Relics of the Armoury Painting Event

WarriorFish

So here's the Marauder in it's current form.

There's one cockpit piece missing, I'm hoping FW will still replace it despite me having bought the model a whike ago already. Tempestor Prime in image is for scale. :)

I should be able to start work after the weekend, after a local tournament that I very much failed to get all my stuff painted for. :p

gallery_114403_15335_548350.jpg

gallery_114403_15335_587203.jpg

Edited by sairence

This challenge has had a useful secondary objective for me.

Like all Scion users have noted, the Plasma Gun pose is not bad as a one off but looks ridiculous when you have a dozen dudes pointing. Some minor changes can move a finger and add a grenade to that pointing hand to look like the dude is lobbing, but again, en masse it looks silly.

I've tackled this two ways in my army and in this batch. First, and like many others, I had a few Plasma Guns from other sets (Cathachan Comd, etc) that I cut the handle off, added it to a Hot Shot Lasgun hand and used the Grenade Launcher / Flamer handle arm. That isn't bad but for supposedly elite troops, it is an odd look as its more a spray and pray style.

While not as pretty, I've also heavily modified the one-hand carry gun. If you look at the gun, the one side is covered by the arm and the strap. The other side, however, is a plain old plasma gun. Normally this faces towards the model as it is carried in the right hand. What I've done with varying levels of aesthetic success as I'm only a novice converter, is to cut-off the arm, shave down all the remaining arm/strap/butt, and essentially start as a bare piece of plastic but with the remainder intact.

By doing the above, you have essentially a perfectly normal left side of the gun and a right side with the front half being normal and the back half being flat. By using any number of arms from the Scion box, you can at least pose the gun properly. By adding a Hot Shot Lasgun butt, it adds some overall structure to it and then you can either leave it unadorned or add something to the flat plastic side to flesh it out.

If you look in my above picture, you can see the two troops on the far right are done up this way. Guy in front is already put together, guy in back is just getting his arms as the body is complete. The melta guns arms work quite well as its a tight carry.

Thoughts?

@Ubique - If you check my Plog (Excuse the shameless plug) I've just posted some of my Scions. I've been making my own Plasma guns by combining Plasma Pistols with Hotshot lasguns. They're smaller than the standard one, but I personally prefer it as it looks more practical for a rapid insertion unit rather than hulking the big things around. Using these in combination with the proper Scion Plasma gun doesn't make their size stand out either, It's only really noticeable compared to them on other units.