No Codex in between editions - what happened?

Valkyrion

Hi guys, 

I'm trying to remember what happened to players when an edition was released for which their army didn't get a codex, e.g what did Dark Angel players do in 5th edition, or Tyranid players in 7th?

I've a friend who started in 6th (Dark Angels) and wants to play a game in every edition, and we've fallen at the first hurdle!

The only time that a codex was invalidated is one of the following:

• release of 3rd ed
  • release of a newer codex
  • release of 8th ed

certain units/ subunites were updated via WD releases or campaing style books like the eye of terror campaing

Yeah if you don't get a new Codex in a new edition you simply keep using your old one. Usually a rather crappy situation for the players but better than not being able to play your army at all. ^^

Dark Angels were actually stuffed for the whole of 4th edition since their 3rd ed codex was a pamphlet ad on to the 3rd ed marine codex that got invalidated by the 4th ed marine codex. Blood Angels got a white dwarf article to make up for that but the DA only got a 4.5 codex just before 5th ed came out that was a legendary example of suffering from being saddled with a half baked prototype design philosophy.

Yeah dangles had 4++ stormshields and vanilla Marines had 12 capacity drop pods for a bit.

Unpopular opinion but I think most Marine chapters are basically the same and play basically the same with special units and in 8th, semi unique strategems.

If they followed a 30k style where you have the basic formations and then had the snowflake units and rules for flavor, it would probably be better.

Like seriously if they were to reboot Vanilla, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Chaos Marines with "start with legion rules and change elements" we would have better codexs.

Like Assault Marines are troops all assault Marines can take all special weapons, etc, being able to Pimp My Space Marines, if you want 10 tactical with plasma guns and powerswords you can do it you just got to pay the points for it.

Strategems and special rules would be locked to unit type, upgrading Tactical Marines would make them into veterans, devestators into Sternguard, asm into Vanguard. Terminators and dreads get deepstrike natively, drop pods allow you to bypass the deepstrike rules and count as having not moved for the bolter and heavy weapons rules.

Hi guys, 

I'm trying to remember what happened to players when an edition was released for which their army didn't get a codex, e.g what did Dark Angel players do in 5th edition, or Tyranid players in 7th?

I've a friend who started in 6th (Dark Angels) and wants to play a game in every edition, and we've fallen at the first hurdle!

You simply played with your latest codex, it wasnt uncommon for certain books to be released months before a new edition like the Demons or Ork books in 4th to 5th editions. It was dark times, I still remember paying 19pts per marine when everyone else was paying 14pts.

GW changed this in 6th because once 5th was over there were still half the armies with 4th ed books and that kind of update system just couldnt keep up.

Archived