Do you feel 8th Edition is Soup Edition ?

GreyCrow

Eh that's not what I was saying. It's not like they didn't try soup list themselves. It's just that they often end up being way stronger and that there is a kind of stigma when playing a soup army just as there is when bringing a LoW or in 7th bringing flyers so everyone automatically went back to not playing soup armies. That doesn't meant there's no problem though. It means people are restricting themselves to avoid the problem which is not a great status quo.

If someone wants to play a mixed army he should be perfectly fine doing so without feeling like he's bringing a cheesy list to stomp his opponents just like someone who wants to play a mono army on tournaments should be fine doing so without feeling like he's gimping himself against soup armies.

Maybe my local group is just working well, but this whole soup, cheese, power issue has never cropped up as a point of contention.

We have a fairly good spread of regular tournament players as well as casuals and newbies. As long as you say beforehand what kind of game you're looking for I've not heard any complaints. I've played against all kinds in our local store and we always briefly talked about how hard or casual we want to go. In more casual games to the point where you'd sometimes tell the other person your list beforehand.

I never really had the experience of walking into a store and playing a random person though. We generally arrange matches in advance either in person or on facebook.

Maybe my local group is just working well, but this whole soup, cheese, power issue has never cropped up as a point of contention.

We have a fairly good spread of regular tournament players as well as casuals and newbies. As long as you say beforehand what kind of game you're looking for I've not heard any complaints. I've played against all kinds in our local store and we always briefly talked about how hard or casual we want to go. In more casual games to the point where you'd sometimes tell the other person your list beforehand.

I never really had the experience of walking into a store and playing a random person though. We generally arrange matches in advance either in person or on facebook.

Generally helps to do that to be fair.

I would personally call myself "Casually Competitive" because I don't have a large interest in going to tournaments (but would like to, just to see what it can be like) but I do have a fairly strong competitive drive in me that makes me want to build lists to their best possible level. Not talking "welp, now to find where I can slap in that castellan" but more of I am not against using the loyal 32 when it is clearly a beneficial addition for such a small commitment. Though I did make a list recently where I did actually have spare points and added some extra to the usual 32 (straken and 3 ogryns).

Not to mention, isn't this thread something like half a year old yet or does time just feel or warpy torpy because I feel like this thread was made when the ITC just wrapped up, all the lists were ether ynnari or imperial soup but now with some times and having seen other tournaments unfold we have managed to gather further information that may point to that the tournament format wasn't conductive of a healthy meta.

I mean, it was a nice discussion but hasn't this run the course now and we have all come to fairly solid conclusions or am I just delusional?

Generally helps to do that to be fair.

I would personally call myself "Casually Competitive" because I don't have a large interest in going to tournaments (but would like to, just to see what it can be like) but I do have a fairly strong competitive drive in me that makes me want to build lists to their best possible level. Not talking "welp, now to find where I can slap in that castellan" but more of I am not against using the loyal 32 when it is clearly a beneficial addition for such a small commitment. Though I did make a list recently where I did actually have spare points and added some extra to the usual 32 (straken and 3 ogryns).

Not to mention, isn't this thread something like half a year old yet or does time just feel or warpy torpy because I feel like this thread was made when the ITC just wrapped up, all the lists were ether ynnari or imperial soup but now with some times and having seen other tournaments unfold we have managed to gather further information that may point to that the tournament format wasn't conductive of a healthy meta.

I mean, it was a nice discussion but hasn't this run the course now and we have all come to fairly solid conclusions or am I just delusional?

The thread is a month old, but yeah I feel everything that could be said already got said by now. ^^

ironically the list most people have an issue with at the local IS a mondex list.... (guard artillery park, Emps Wrath Battery)... although the play has started added an assassin so the WD list

edit- how every there arent really an soups, most of us play mondex, as there are only 1 or 2 tournament players

Edited by Slasher956

Soup is actually good for the game, from a fluff perspective.

My favorite bit of lore (and campaign) is Damocles.

I appreciate the fact that I can use multiple codexes to replicate the Imperium's forces in that conflict.

Raven Guard and White Scars from Codex: Space Marines.

Catachan from the AM codex, including Straken.

And the Obsidian Knight, who is a Paladin with a rapid fire battle cannon and Reaper chainsword in the fluff.

Currently I can represent that mix in a 100% legal and battleforged army, and I don't want to see that go away.

Currently I can represent that mix in a 100% legal and battleforged army, and I don't want to see that go away.

I agree, I on't want to see restrictions placed on what we can run together.

But.......

At the moment, playing a Soup army is just too good. Those Catachans offer you cheap bodies, indirect fire and plenty of CPs for few points. The Marines give you tough infantry with -1 to Hit and deployment tricks. The Knight gives you durability, firepower and melee potential while making good use of those CPs from the Catachans.

Soup allows players to take the best elements of each army with no penalty. In fact it is normally better than monodex because individual codices are often balanced by what they do not include as much as what they do.