Gederas' Dark Angels: Paint it Black

Gederas

awesome stuff! That justicare head is perfection!

Thank you!

Also, my First just got some reinforcements....

vJsbe7J.jpg

The Caestus is going to be fun to fix though....

T8jHvSN.jpg

I've already built 10 of the Mark II marines:

YsM3wtn.jpg

Got another 10 to go, and then there's the 20 Mark II Assault Marines.

Wow, but is that some kind of warpage on the Cestus. Careful application of a heat gun + 2 steel rulers + clamps could do the trick. Best of luck with it.

I've already started working on getting the warping out. Hairdryer did most of the work, some hot water from the Keurig did the rest.

Cleaning up the mould slippage... Now that I can see taking a while :lol:

That's why I don't like forgeworld.

The models can be awesome (some, not all imho) bit resin is just a pain in the backside...

I think you have to approach forgeworld kits knowing you're going to potentially be getting into something major modelling wise, anything less and you're possibly going to shelve it for a good while. It's sad as it's such a huge monetary investment that the models should not require so much intervention, but it's been like this for over a decade and I can't see it changing.

Most of the time, I've had the Forgeworld kits be quite alright, depending.

The old hand sculpted ones are the worst however. Things like MK IV assault marines, MK IV destroyers, etc. require quite a bit of cleanup. The molds are getting a bit ratty over the years, slippage can be bad, etc.

Newer vehicles like the Sabre tank were quite nice, and fit together really well. I really liked that kit. Newer infantry like the dreadwing interemptors are nice as well.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

That's why I don't like forgeworld.

The models can be awesome (some, not all imho) bit resin is just a pain in the backside...

I think you have to approach forgeworld kits knowing you're going to potentially be getting into something major modelling wise, anything less and you're possibly going to shelve it for a good while. It's sad as it's such a huge monetary investment that the models should not require so much intervention, but it's been like this for over a decade and I can't see it changing.

Most of the time, I've had the Forgeworld kits be quite alright, depending.

The old hand sculpted ones are the worst however. Things like MK IV assault marines, MK IV destroyers, etc. require quite a bit of cleanup. The molds are getting a bit ratty over the years, slippage can be bad, etc.

Newer vehicles like the Sabre tank were quite nice, and fit together really well. I really liked that kit. Newer infantry like the dreadwing interemptors are nice as well.

Pretty much :yes:

The Caestus took some effort, but as soon as I saw it in the bags I knew it was going to be warped simply because it's sides are long thin pieces. Resin, when heated to a certain temperature, gets malleable and can bend. Resin curing, produces said heat :lol:

But, I have done some work on the Caestus. And it's coming along faster than I thought. It's definitely going to be a long-term project though :lol:

lrOFtVD.jpg

ti3DYpN.jpg

YRS71ux.jpg

You can really see the wonky fitting on the right (first image's left) Crew Bay in the second two pictures. Thankfully though, I think some use of the dremel on the inside fittings and more heat applications should fix it.

[snipped]

These guys rock ! That is exactly the same idea i had for bladeguards!

Thanks! And yeah, that's really all that was needed to make the Bladeguard right and proper Dark Angels.

In other news, Caestus is ready for the final stretch! :D

YCoqkIK.jpg

e0uh2T0.jpg

3ubDFOo.jpg

hbZX145.jpg

Just need to use some milliput to fill in the gaps/clean up mould slips and then it's final assembly. Painting sometime in the next four months or so :lol:

Looking good! Working on cleaning up those guys right now myself. And I see you carved off and replaced the left shoulder pads. Good man! :thumbsup:

Sorry to see the Cestus is the usual  Forgeworld "Requires a full can of BONDO for patch work." quality. :rolleyes:

Looking good! Working on cleaning up those guys right now myself. And I see you carved off and replaced the left shoulder pads. Good man! :thumbsup:

Sorry to see the Cestus is the usual  Forgeworld "Requires a full can of BONDO for patch work." quality. :rolleyes:

Ehh.... The Caestus isn't as bad as it looks. The worst part is the nacelles need some milliput work of gap-filling.

In other news, My results of the month of August:

IW8pf3z.jpg

91zPEkn.jpg

0d5PPnp.jpg

TIaqjGL.jpg

6Ppy3xP.jpg

well done brother! Amazing productivity and really nice paint jobs. You nailed the colors of the justicar! Dark and grimdark :wub:

Thanks a lot!

No new painted models (working on the rest of Indomitus this month). Buuuuuuuuuuut.....

Something showed up on Sunday! :wub:

O58HrP3.jpg

(yes, that's two boxes of the Lion you see there)

So, I got to building him yesterday after I did the scrubbing. And I have to say, he's a tall'un:

TSBuYx9.jpg

I also magnetized not just Lion El'Jonson's weapons, but ALSO the scabbards for said weapons!

Lion Sword:

Sj2QlpD.jpg

cF7qjLB.jpg

PVE339i.jpg

Wolf Blade:

fZILcIi.jpg

XKvwcLq.jpg

QxJpphr.jpg

Edited by Gederas

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work mate , and kudos for drilling/converting such an expensive forgeworld model. Are you going to magnetise the bare head and helmet as well?

Nah, going with the helmeted head for the gaming model :yes:

In other news, finished the Indomitus Master:

Ft7HiO0.jpg

Seems you can get a lot of painting done in two days if you call out of work because you're not feeling well. Whoda thunk? :laugh.: As I managed to finished the Outriders and the Bladeguard this morning (as in, 1AM this morning before I went to bed):

TwqMOhV.jpg

AXrdbzY.jpg

Though, looking at them now, I realize there's still some cleanup required on them, but hey ho.

Bladeguard look great, they are probably my favorite model out of this new round, along with assault intercessors. I'm going to stick to the decals though for mine, I'm not the biggest fan of molded shoulderpads, but that's personal tastes. The beaky helmets on the bikers look good, I think I'm going to cut the helmet off the belt of the sergeant and do that as well.

Are you doing the Lieutenant from the box as deathwing as well? Nevermind - see he's already done above.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

• 4 months later...

Blowing the dust off the thread: I've finished 10 more Assault Intercessors (sans bases, I'll finish them some other time :lol:) for Lazarus' company (to make the 10 from Indomitus into two 10-man squads)

l0UNxax.jpg

I also finished Lion El'Jonson (gaming version, yes I bought two):
qxfC9el.jpg

mnGPoy2.jpg

Tb6xZDl.jpg

IyernMn.jpg

• 5 months later...

Soon......

xJYeNpT.jpg

For context: That's 79 Mark III and Mark IV Tactical Marines, 5 Mark III Plasma gunner, 5 Mark III Meltagunners, 5 Mark IV Missile Launchers, 1 Mark IV Flamer Sergeant (for an eventual Zone Mortalis 5-man flamer squad), the BaC Cataphractii Praetor, Mark II Banner-bearer, Mark II Praetor and a Contemptor-Mortis
Edited by Gederas