my start into craftworlds

alanbezley

i played eldar back in 3rd edition

my friend got out of craftworlds and into tau (why i have no idea)

here is my list of minuatures so far and 95% are new

3. farseers

7. warlocks

2. spiritseerers

1. avatar of khaine

1 fuegan

1. maugan ra

3. guardian squads (1 platform with brightlance, and 2 platforms with shuriken cannons)

1. ranger squad

2 wraithguard squads with wraithcannons

3 vipers with shuriken cannon

3 warwalkers with twin brightlances each

1 wraithlord with ghostglaive and two starcannons

3 support platforms with d-cannons

2 5 man dark reaper squads

2 wave serpents (1 with twin brightlances, 1 with twin shuriken cannons)

1 hemlock wraith-fighter

1 wraith knight (magnitised for all weapon varients)

1 wraith knight with sun cannon

now i know that this is a NEWBish question but i am wondering what units i should look at next... i am going with the beil tan craftworld because i like the color scheme. i am a veteran player so i realize that what works well for other people might not work well for me, but i dont have allot of money to experiment with different troop types (have 8 kids) so any suggestions would be appreciated

I don’t see any dire avengers. Consider 1-2 units, the rest of your troops may be more rangers. I find one squad of rangers isn’t enough, and while I love the concept of dire avengers, they aren’t what they used to be.

I’m not a great player so take what I say appropriately. I find the psychic relic and extra health trait to be pretty good. I try to maximize my shuriken rerolls, so like infantry with those weapons. I’ve had mixed results using banshees to clear chaff and screens for other units to break through.

I suspect the best units of what you have will be reapers, farseers, and shining Spears. You probably have enough for 1,500 point friendly games that aren’t handicapped. After that, I think you should pick up what works best for you.

Edit: welcome to the site!

thanks for the advice, i'll have my son pick up a 10 man unit of dire avengers. I am also toying with the idea of a 10 man unit of howling banshees in a wave serpent. Another friend of mine is giving me around 18 harlequins so i might try them in the army for some close combat support

That's a very decent start Alanbezley! I'd recommend playing with lists made from what you have and get a feel for the army. Then you'll have  a better idea what you will need to fit your own playstyle. 

i added up the points of the above list and with WYSIWYG, there is  3898 pts. And this weekend i will get the Harlequins, and that will increase the points greatly. i have come to the conclusion that after i get some aspect warrior units, i might as well make a Apocalypse army.

I received the harlequins from my friend to boost the craftworld

3. troopmaster

2. shadowseerers

7. 6 man troupes

2. deathjester 

2. solitaire one custom model

6. skyweavers

3. starweavers

1. gate portal

whats cool is that WYSIWYG everything comes out to about 1700 points so that will be a boost the army. Another friend is hooking me up with a three figure box set with some aldari figures that he hasn't built yet. he gave up on the craftworlds and is rolling tyrinids

Nice, that is a big force.  The sky weavers are considered quite competitive these days. 

For your list I would start with a battalion of a farseer and spirit seer , 20 Guardians with 2 shuriken platforms, 5 rangers and 5-10 Dire Avengers. The Guardians deep striking via the web way stratagem are very good. 

From there everything else you have can be pretty good. So you are just rounding out your force and adding some killing power.  

• 3 weeks later...

well i just got some additions to my craftworld (yanari) force

these are dark eldar

1 archon

1 succubus

3 kabalite warrior squads

12 reavers(6 newly added to army)

25 hellions (15 newly added to army)

3 raiders

3 ravagers (new addition)

i ordered 3 ravagers and a venom from my local game store. i plan on having the archon and his retinue (court of the archon) in the venom, the warriors in the raiders.

i plan on getting at least one ten man unit of incubi in a raider also.

all of this is going to be apart on one massive yanari force for Apocalypse.

i started with craftworlds and got a little carried away

my wife doesnt know it yet but i now plan on a couple of titans ans at least one super heavy tank also, and maybe even the forge world avatar model. i figured that if the model is going to be 220 pts that it should be at least a imposing looking figure

we had a 1k pt tournament with random teammates and i played with a guy who had 2 of them and it was crazy. i kept hearing people say on taking two of them was the way to go, but i figured it was just hear-say. i am also going to get another dire avenger sqd. the 9 man unit i used was a game changer. i play Beil-Tan and had a blast. every other craftworld player was playing  Alaitoc for the cheeseness

i believe my next purchase should be 2 fireprisms any thoughts?

An excellent choice. Between its special rules and the "linked fire" stratagem, a pair of Fire Prisms will provide some serious fire support. I have been running a pair since the codex dropped and have never regretted taking them.

One useful technique is to keep one out of LOS from the enemy but with LOS to its partner. If the visible Prism draws fire, use "Lightning Fast Reflexes" to help keep it alive and shooting. That way it will make it harder for your opponent to cut down their firepower by taking out one of the pair.

Also keep in mind that you can Fire and Fade with a Fire Prism, so pop one out of cover Linked fire, and then fire and fade back behind cover.

My issue with Fire Prisms is that they want to remain stationary or they suffer the -1 to hit, and besides the problem with this in game it just feels wrong to me, that an eldar tank does not want to move.  

My issue with Fire Prisms is that they want to remain stationary or they suffer the -1 to hit, and besides the problem with this in game it just feels wrong to me, that an eldar tank does not want to move.  

Between crystal targetting matrix and 2 shots from pulsed laser discharge, this shouldn't be too much of a problem, no?

Between crystal targetting matrix and 2 shots from pulsed laser discharge, this shouldn't be too much of a problem, no?

CTM is only useful when firing at the nearest target. Given the Prism's range and firpower, I find I often want to target something dangerous further back so CTM doesn't come into play that often.

I do agree that between firing twice and the rerolls provided by "Linked Fire", the -1 to Hit is normally tolerable on a BS3+ platform.

It's tolerable, but you certainly want to avoid if if you can. You certainly don't want to move over 8" or your fire power is cut in half.

Moving under 8" is definitely necessary. However reaming stationary means being exposed to return fire. Sometimes it is better to deploy your Prisms out of LOS, move one out to fire and the use "Fire and Fade" to move it back behind cover. This is particularly true when facing shooty opponents. Imperial Knights for instance can easily vapourise a Fire Prism in a single firing phase. A Castellan can kill one with just its Volcano Lance, never mind secondary weapons.

Archived