Shadowspear new units

Wolf Lord Loki

So from the leaked datasheets on BOLS do you think we in the most blessed of nurgles Astartes will share the love?

If those datasheets are real they have the <LEGION> key word which suggests we might get them unless it's FAQ-ED against us.

This we might be able to add (greater) obliterators, greater possessed and the like.

Assuming we can (until we are told we can't) use them any potential uses start springing to mind?

Greater Possessed + Poxbringer near some ‘spitter Drones for all of the high strength murder snot. Could also do the same with Morty, even if it is hilariously unnecessary.

Greater Possessed: Interestingly their buff will apply to [themselves,] Possessed and Daemon Engines, like Foetid Blat Drones, Myphitic Blight Haulers, Plagueburst Crawlers, Defilers and also Daemon Princes and Mortarion, but not any actual Daemon units like Plaguebearers or Nurglings. In terms of stats they're basically a 5 man Possessed unit condensed into 2 models, which buff their own and some other units' strength by 1, and do D3 damage per hit rather than 1. Not many other units synergise in terms of movement speed except other Possessed. They seem like they could make a reasonably good support unit for a footslogging Daemon Prince, being only 1" slower, but does anyone actually run any of those? The main problem I see here is that they're limited to 2 per unit, unlike Possessed, who can take up to 20 per unit. If you were otherwise going to be running 2 20-man units of Possessed anyway, then I'd say they're an auto-include for the synergy and the buff they hand out, especially as they can split up just like loyalist Lieutenants. 

They seem like the kind of thing you would really want in an assault focus list as part of a first or second wave, but I would struggle to justify these in an all-comers list, especially with the lack of DR. At a stretch, they could tag along with some Plague Spitter equipped PBCs to help them to keep kicking in spite of the stat decay as they take damage. 

Obliterators: They gained 1 wound and 2 shots, but otherwise we're looking at exactly the same rules they've had the rest of this edition. It would be nice to be able to take some of these for Deathguard, as their Fleshmetal Guns are potentially very powerful, and put out a lot of shots. We didn't get them in the codex, so I wonder if they'll be available to us, but assuming they are they make Nurglings an even better investment, since the little guys can carve out an area of the table during deployment to make sure your opponent can't easily block their arrival via Teleport Strike. 

They're a solid mid-field/area-denial unit, and they're in a slot which isn't competed for as strongly as Elites or Fast Attack. (I know I'll get the PBC spammers on my case for this :tongue.:, but c'mon guys, surely 2 is enough?)

EDIT: Nothing major, but I noticed that both models are Infantry and do not have any keywords that would exclude them from riding in a Rhino or Chaos Land Raider. Not a big deal for Obliterators, but if you needed a delivery system for some Possessed and their buff-buddies, the Greater Possessed should only take up 1 slot in a Transport. 

Obliterators: They gained 1 wound and 2 shots, but otherwise we're looking at exactly the same rules they've had the rest of this edition. It would be nice to be able to take some of these for Deathguard, as their Fleshmetal Guns are potentially very powerful, and put out a lot of shots. We didn't get them in the codex, so I wonder if they'll be available to us, but assuming they are they make Nurglings an even better investment, since the little guys can carve out an area of the table during deployment to make sure your opponent can't easily block their arrival via Teleport Strike.

Don't forget the additional toughness and better melee attacks lol

Unfortunately I do not see death guard having access to these units directly. 

Which isn't a major issue with the detachment system. A CSM detachment helps give us access to other stratagems / spells etc. 

You could always run a nurgle detachment otherwise. 

The greater possessed seem like the best unit in the box for around 70-80 point buff. 

Yes the oblitorators have got better but there points will determine if they are usable in big packs or not. but as you can use them in units of 1 that's nice to fill slots

I'm tempted to run a small possessed unit.  

How's that an issue with the detachment system? If GW wants to give DG access to it they can easily do that. They probably don't want to though. DG is a different Codex now, not just a CSM subfaction with additional units.

EDIT: nevermind I failed at reading. Read "is" instead of "isn't" :facepalm:

Detachment system would make it a major issue, no DG buff from the Greater Possessed and (presumably) Malefic powers. My perspective at least, but if the buffs don’t have a way of affecting us I’m far less interested.

Detachment system would make it a major issue, no DG buff from the Greater Possessed and (presumably) Malefic powers. My perspective at least, but if the buffs don’t have a way of affecting us I’m far less interested.

The Data sheet says <Chaos Mark> <legion> so either or so if it had a mark of nurgle you would be fine and it would buff other nurgle units

I don't think a FAQ is needed for that. I'd question everyones ability to understand basic language who tries to argue that it means either or (no offense, I don't know whether you're a native speaker or not).

I wouldn’t be shocked if we got greater possessed. But there should still be some synergy with a separate detatchment, especially if you’re already using one for daemon units we don’t get anymore like Maulerfiends and Warp Talons(I know they’re crap but I’m lovingly converting them). If they have the daemon keyword and can be given Nurgle we can put them in a detatchment with daemons right?

sv71kj5xywk21.jpg

We can use them they just can’t have the Death Guard Keyword. I mean it was pretty obvious we wouldn’t get anything ever since DG got separated from CSM. Just wish they would buff our possessed by giving them DR

I have been trying to wrap my head around the chaos lord of the deathguard not having the traits of said deathguard force! Who even put him in charge! When even the basic troops and snot balls of the nurglings have this rule how can the LORD of the deathguard not! I sense some tzeentch shenanigans

I think the conversation went something like this...

Designer A: shouldn't all Death Guard units have DR?

Designer B: why, not every Eldar unit is a psycher?

Designer C: why, not every Imperium army brings multiple knights?

Designer A: good point, we almost made them halfway competitive.

GW confirmed in a FB comment today we get nothing from

Shadowspear.

*incoherent swearing*

So basically this release, aside from lovely models, is another huge depressing sigh for Chaos? I'm not being negative, or salty, or whatever. I look at the Shadowspear rules and points costs and now the fact that they have no place in my DG army and I just think, 'why GW, why do you hate Chaos so much!?'

Lol anyway, saves me a ton of money I supopse! :)

GW confirmed in a FB comment today we get nothing from

Shadowspear.

*incoherent swearing*

So basically this release, aside from lovely models, is another huge depressing sigh for Chaos? I'm not being negative, or salty, or whatever. I look at the Shadowspear rules and points costs and now the fact that they have no place in my DG army and I just think, 'why GW, why do you hate Chaos so much!?'

Lol anyway, saves me a ton of money I supopse! :smile.:

Uhm no definitely not. It's a great release for Chaos. Just less so for DG and TSons.

Archived