Vigilus Falls, What next?(Here be spoilers)

Sete

Some of the suggestions here are pure awesome.  I love the idea of the Black Legion actually conquering and establishing strongholds in Imperium Nihilus rather than just pop out of the Warp to raid and then leave again.  I love the idea of Nihilus becoming more religious and Imperium Sanctus becoming closer to the Imperial Truth.

I just don't think GW has it in them to do that.  They seem to want to hype up the fact that the Primaris are the saviors of the Imperium against all odds.

Blood Angels - There seems to be quite a lot of Blood Angels Vs Black Legion art around recently. Some more just posted on the community Instagram. May not be brand new, and obviously the colours just work better than Wolves or Dangels, but it still makes me think the angels are coming...

the hottest summer on armegeddon ever recorded!

Hell is literally here!

but wait whats that giant Green moon that suddenly appeared in the sky.

NExt time on Armegeddon: imperium broken, scattered, da boss and the world eater have a fight that hasnt been seen since the emperor killed the beast on ullanor

New Vigilus fluff here, courtesy of @Dragonglave on the News thread.  

Vigilus doesn't fall, but the Imperium doesn't win either.  Calgar is sent to the ER by Abaddon but the Eldar manage to cripple the Vengeful Spirit and force it to run away.

I think the new fluff sounds OK, but I can't help but (admittedly with hindsight) wish that GW had switched their release schedule around a bit.  I appreciate these things are determined years in advance, but it seems (to me) that it would have made more sense to have the CSM range refresh with Fall of Cadia.  That way, Chaos and Abaddon's big triumph (cutting the Imperium in half) would come with their new models.  Vigilus could then have introduced the resurrected Guilliman and been the Imperium's big counterattack, halting (but not defeating) the post-Rift Chaos rampage and establishing the new status quo.  

As it is, whilst I think objectively Chaos has been well-served by the new post-Rift fluff ("We have already won" etc), I feel a bit unsatisfied in that what should be Chaos's big triumph feels like another "do-nothing" story.  

I also really don't like this bit:-

Just as Abaddon is about to finish him, Haarken gets word that the Vengeful Spirit is in trouble, and Abaddon falls back, which really pisses off his very thirsty sword.

This was lazy when Tolkien did it and its lazy now.  Also pretty sure that

killing Calgar is worth more than saving the Spirit, since the Black Legion also have another Gloriana, hundreds of other battleships, and Planet Killer.  He also has a gun to Just Shoot Him.

It is however nice to see the Eldar doing something other than attempting to warn the Imperium of impending doom, failing, and being killed.  

Edited by Walter Payton

Yet another one, and there goes another few pieces of Calgar spread in yet another scenario.

On serious tone: did anyone expected another outcome? It's GeeDubs that we're talking about

While I am a bit disappointed by the stalemate at the end, some of the details sound cool. I'd talk more about my thoughts in detail, but I don't know how to do the spoiler thing on here so I won't. That being said, I'd like to point out what Isinfier said over on the CSM refresh thread:

Just been told that Vigilus is, in fact, not a two-part series; it's three.

Third part to drop in November, focusing on Sisters leading some sort of crusade to counter Chaos and the Necrons arriving in force to protect the blackstone on the planet.

The Necrons part would fit with my theory that the chaos plan is to use something (possibly Haarken Worldclaimer's spear thing) to re-attune the blackstone on the planet to amplify chaos and possibly pull the planet into the warp, permanently closing the gap in the rift. The Necron's ancient attempts to close off realspace from the warp would give them good incentive to stop this, and could be another range refresh on the way

Yet another one, and there goes another few pieces of Calgar spread in yet another scenario.

On serious tone: did anyone expected another outcome? It's GeeDubs that we're talking about

I was expecting someone else to die to save the blue boy.

Like i said in other thread moving on to better warzones now.

Like Armageddon, with a new prime Ghaz, primaris BT, Angry Ron and new berzerkers

Edited by Sete

Like Armageddon, with a new prime Ghaz, primaris BT, Angry Ron and new berzerkers

Erase the primaris BT and I'm in

Someone was sacrificed to save lil' boy blue, which was just what I expected, but it was the Vengeful Spirit which, I'll admit, I didn't see coming. The Spirit might as well be a living character at this point. It wasn't a deathblow but close enough to achieve the required outcome. A more inventive way of using the plot device but unfortunately it's a weak/overused device, to begin with, so that doesn't help much.

"I JUST GOT THOSE NEW ARMS AND LEGS ABBY...SERIOUSLY" - Calgar, after being dismembered by abbadon, who just remember he hadn't paid for 3 books worth of parking for the spirit and needed to get back before it gets clamped by eldar traffic police, Spirit Bone Clamps are a pain!

Serious though. One thing to mention...so does Vigilus not fall and Harken's boast immediately made impotent? Not exactly thrilled. Would of been good to have him be right and then in the future have him do it again but now with impetus that it did come to happen in the past with big stakes at hand.

Also...why was Harken the one telling Abby his ride was about to get clamped? Thought he was supposed to be planet side do raptor things.

I'm also not sure why, if the Imperial fleet is all but shredded, and likely took even more damage to what remained in order to pull off the kamikaze run, why the Black Legion fleet had to retreat en mass to cover the Vengeful Spirit. How can the fleet be so large and imposing (even without the Spirit) and with a decisive victory behind it, and yet a blockade flotilla can't remain?

While I am a bit disappointed by the stalemate at the end, some of the details sound cool. I'd talk more about my thoughts in detail, but I don't know how to do the spoiler thing on here so I won't. That being said, I'd like to point out what Isinfier said over on the CSM refresh thread:

Just been told that Vigilus is, in fact, not a two-part series; it's three.

Third part to drop in November, focusing on Sisters leading some sort of crusade to counter Chaos and the Necrons arriving in force to protect the blackstone on the planet.

The Necrons part would fit with my theory that the chaos plan is to use something (possibly Haarken Worldclaimer's spear thing) to re-attune the blackstone on the planet to amplify chaos and possibly pull the planet into the warp, permanently closing the gap in the rift. The Necron's ancient attempts to close off realspace from the warp would give them good incentive to stop this, and could be another range refresh on the way

Is this even real? Like I thought we were told it was only 2 books...

Krash

I suspect that it might be a case that it is two books for this chapter in the story of Vigilus, then they'll move to other warzones for other releases, and at some point, they'll return to conclude the story. Not expressly a part three but a new story arc that picks the story back up.

Have to say I'd be pretty keen for the Sisters and the Eldar to team up to smash the Black Legion and reclaim Vigilus in Book III.  I feel that after Sanctuary 101, the Grey Knight incident, being eaten by the Sons of Malice, a whole convent-world being defeated by a Helbrute, Orar's Sepulchre, Iyanden, endless Avatar deaths...they really are due a big win.