Vigilus Falls, What next?(Here be spoilers)

Sete

isnt the startide nexus another route through the rift?

and mortarian is waging a succesfull campaign against the tau for it.

the tau losing ground day by day?

I could see this becoming another major warzone, with tau calling for anyones help potentially.

So it's another stalemate lol.

I dont think so.

It seems imperium was keeping the waagh, and gsc in check, and when chaos showed up and caused issues, calgar removed the imperium war effort away from those two fronts.

as a results the orks and gsc ballooned and are now potentially a bigger threat then they were. and now chaos is attempting to purge them.

I still think theres a possibility orks take the world just cause they like a good fight and the payment for travel through it is a good fight

Edited by Triszin

I fully expected some sort of a stalemate. That's just the nature of GW. Vigilus was never going to fall, but it was never going to fully survive this war anyways. I expected it, so I'm not mad about it.

What I'm mad about is the thrice-cursed plot armor that Calgar seems to have bubble-wrapped himself and his blue boys in seven times over! Oh hey, Abaddon and Calgar did get to have their duel! Oh joy... oh wait, Abaddon apparently just barely wins because of his wargear. Not the fact that he's been alive for 10,000 years, a superior warrior, blessed by the Dark Gods in power that allowed him to bring the Daemon Primarchs to heel. No, it was just by the skin of his teeth because of his wargear. And although Calgar gets his blue butt handed to him, he gets spared because Abaddon is pissed off his ancient and powerful flagship is nearly destroyed.

What should have happened is instead of Abaddon running off screaming "I'll get you next time!" he should have just brutally slaughtered Calgar out of sheer spite! Then leave the planet, Calgar's gauntlets and head mounted on those spikes of his as a trophy, then bombard the planet until it shatters. Chaos had completely DOMINATED the space above the planet. They made that perfectly clear with the fact they have the giant magnet superweapon nonsense, all their ships safe from it, and able to completely wreck the Imperial fleet. That alone should have guaranteed Chaos' victory here. 

Again, I expected the stalemate simply because it's GW we're talking about. But they handled it so poorly! 

I fully expected some sort of a stalemate. That's just the nature of GW. Vigilus was never going to fall, but it was never going to fully survive this war anyways. I expected it, so I'm not mad about it.

What I'm mad about is the thrice-cursed plot armor that Calgar seems to have bubble-wrapped himself and his blue boys in seven times over! Oh hey, Abaddon and Calgar did get to have their duel! Oh joy... oh wait, Abaddon apparently just barely wins because of his wargear. Not the fact that he's been alive for 10,000 years, a superior warrior, blessed by the Dark Gods in power that allowed him to bring the Daemon Primarchs to heel. No, it was just by the skin of his teeth because of his wargear. And although Calgar gets his blue butt handed to him, he gets spared because Abaddon is pissed off his ancient and powerful flagship is nearly destroyed.

What should have happened is instead of Abaddon running off screaming "I'll get you next time!" he should have just brutally slaughtered Calgar out of sheer spite! Then leave the planet, Calgar's gauntlets and head mounted on those spikes of his as a trophy, then bombard the planet until it shatters. Chaos had completely DOMINATED the space above the planet. They made that perfectly clear with the fact they have the giant magnet superweapon nonsense, all their ships safe from it, and able to completely wreck the Imperial fleet. That alone should have guaranteed Chaos' victory here. 

Again, I expected the stalemate simply because it's GW we're talking about. But they handled it so poorly! 

Don´t forget dem Eldars and their chaos hunting ways.

Chaos "won" and did not... It´s how GW keeps writing them to keep fans invested. Also Fallen.

Well obviously Calgar would not die, a couple of months after his new mini, but Vigilus could have fallen.

That could prompt the return of a new primarch, but oh well. Maybe new warzones need to be established in the current timeline before moving on again.

Hopefully GW will give other chapters a chance to shine.

Ultras already have Guilliman and Primaris Calgar. Shrike and Khan need an update, cause Shrike is the new RG CM and probably the Khan is aswell due to the disappearance of WS CM. But that might involve Tau or DE.

If Angron drops at Armaggedon, I have a theory.

Orks led by prime Ghazzy vs Helbrecth (after all the Eternal crusader is on a benny hill chase behind ghazzy) and Sallies.

Meanwhile Angron is summoned forth wreacking :cuss left and right, and obviously new GK join in the fight!

So we get stuff for orks, new IC minis for Bt and sallies, khorne berzereks update and new daemon primarch and new GK!

Everybody wins! 

Well obviously Calgar would not die, a couple of months after his new mini, but Vigilus could have fallen.

That could prompt the return of a new primarch, but oh well. Maybe new warzones need to be established in the current timeline before moving on again.

Hopefully GW will give other chapters a chance to shine.

Ultras already have Guilliman and Primaris Calgar. Shrike and Khan need an update, cause Shrike is the new RG CM and probably the Khan is aswell due to the disappearance of WS CM. But that might involve Tau or DE.

If Angron drops at Armaggedon, I have a theory.

Orks led by prime Ghazzy vs Helbrecth (after all the Eternal crusader is on a benny hill chase behind ghazzy) and Sallies.

Meanwhile Angron is summoned forth wreacking :censored: left and right, and obviously new GK join in the fight!

So we get stuff for orks, new IC minis for Bt and sallies, khorne berzereks update and new daemon primarch and new GK!

Everybody wins! 

Updated Orks and some love shown for Salamanders would bankrupt me. 

Is th eternal crusader still after ghaz at this point? He's bending space/time and exists in multiple points at once now, how could you possibly chase that? I just assume everyone gave that up.

I hope the writers start coming around to the idea they can do more destructive and final stories in the new timeline, but the issue is they'd have to move away from named characters, which they dont want to do because of marketing/financial reasons. Vigilus could've been a good opportunity to move in the direction of finalized victories, and I'm disappointed they didn't seize it. 

@pinacolada:

Yeah according to the last SM codex Helbrecth was on a single minded pursuit of  Ghazzy when the rift hit. They changed the timeline a bit (I think) because after armaggedon helbrecth fough the necron stormlord twice and I tought that had happened before Armaggedon. I could be wrong or its a retcon.

Edited by Sete

@pinacolada:

Yeah according to the last SM codex Helbrecth was on a single minded pursuit of  Ghazzy when the rift hit. They changed the timeline a bit (I think) because after armaggedon helbrecth fough the necron stormlord twice and I tought that had happened before Armaggedon. I could be wrong or its a retcon.

The way I read it is that Helbrecht lost him and is simply on a high alert lookout for him now. Which, considering the entire universe is really small if GW so pleases, probably means he'll run into him again. I'll post the pursuit as written in the Ork codex below.

A Deadly Pursuit

Ghazghkull’s departure does not go unmarked. Deep space auger-stations identify Kill Wrecka moving out of the Armageddon System. High Command are notifed, and both Commissar Yarrick and High Marshal Helbrecht of the Black Templars elect to give chase. These heroes of the Imperium depart Armageddon some days later, leading every warship that can be spared. The Imperium allowed Ghazghkull to escape once and it cost them dearly. Yarrick vows the same mistake will not be made again.

The Beast at Bay

Despite a sizeable head start, Ghazghkull is tracked unerringly by his pursuers. The faster, more efficient Imperial Navy warships catch the Ork fleet several weeks after leaving Armageddon. In a dead region of space known as the Haunted Gulf, Ghazghkull’s ships turn at bay for a last, desperate charge into the teeth of the Imperial Navy’s guns. The void comes alight with lance beams and blazing broadsides as the Ork ships thunder into the midst of their foes, yet they stand little chance. Though they cripple several Imperial cruisers, the greenskin vessels are torn apart one by one. Yarrick and Helbrecht prepare to board Kill Wrecka and ensure Ghazghkull’s demise once and for all. Yet even as they ready their assault, the ship is engulfed in a blaze of green energy and disappears without a trace.

Ghazghkull’s Great Task

Even as his fleet is torn apart, Ghazghkull stomps around his bridge bellowing orders. The Grand Warlord is incandescent with fury, possessed of a vision so powerful that green lightning arcs around him. Their brains overwhelmed by this sudden surge of energy, his entourage of Warpheads convulse as one and begin to howl and gibber madly. As the crackling energy that haloes Ghazghkull’s skull lashes out to strike the Ork psykers, they are engulfed in green flames, their eyes bursting and skin sizzling. With ectoplasmic power gushing from their maws, the Warpheads speak as one, their combined voice the mighty roar of Gork and Mork that Ghazghkull has heard all these months. Every Ork within earshot falls to their knees in awe as the gods tell Ghazghkull that this is not his time to die. They tell him that the whole galaxy must echo to the battle cry of the Ork. They charge Ghazghkull with gathering a Waaagh! like no other, the Waaagh! of Gork and Mork themselves. To do this, he must defeat every other Warlord, bring every last greenskin under his sway, and unite them all in a crusade that will drown the stars in war. Ghazghkull must bring about this Great Waaagh!, and in so doing call forth Gork and Mork to lead the Boyz in a glorious battle that will last forever. Their message delivered, the Weirdboyz explode in ripe showers of wet viscera, and a tide of green energy rolls outwards from them, frying every system on Ghazghkull’s ship and crippling his pursuers. Kill Wrecka is immediately hurled into warp space, emerging somewhere (and somewhen) else entirely. Left in Ghazghkull’s wake is a rapidly expanding spatial anomaly from which his pursuers are forced to flee in desperate haste. Within days it swells into a raging warp storm, which in turn joins with other cascading anomalies as the Great Rift tears its way across the galaxy.

The writing is so so lazy, they could have had Abaddon simply beat down calgar which would prompt him to needing to go primaris and thus taking him out of the fight. Then instead of The Vengeful Spirit being hit, have the Shadowspear "daemonic factories" been hit resulting in Abaddon reinforcements being cut off. Thus putting a heavy logistics pressure on Abaddon, he could kill calgar or risk losing the war due to no reinforcements.

Calgar (non-primaris) showing he is weaker than Abaddon, but maybe primaris might make him stronger. Then Abaddon doesn't look like he is risking killing a commander for a ship (which I am not sure what Abaddon could do to fix a ship by himself), but rather that he needs to go oversee the daemonic factories or end up losing the war.

Issue is ... the next warzone release .. will it be centered (imperial side) around the new hotness, the Sisters of Battle Codex?

After all this warzone release centered on GSC & Orks book one then Chaos book 2.  So it makes sense that the next warzone starts off centered on the Sisters / Church /eccalarsy fighting cults (chaos & GSC) then book two is a big bad threat... now it wont be orks or chaos as they've recently been revamped /updated.  So that leaves book two being either Necrons, Tau or Eldar....

Now I can see it being Aeldari because then they can release redone aspects and look at the Ynnari faction, with any Drukhari units that need a quick spruce up....

Issue is ... the next warzone release .. will it be centered (imperial side) around the new hotness, the Sisters of Battle Codex?

After all this warzone release centered on GSC & Orks book one then Chaos book 2.  So it makes sense that the next warzone starts off centered on the Sisters / Church /eccalarsy fighting cults (chaos & GSC) then book two is a big bad threat... now it wont be orks or chaos as they've recently been revamped /updated.  So that leaves book two being either Necrons, Tau or Eldar....

Now I can see it being Aeldari because then they can release redone aspects and look at the Ynnari faction, with any Drukhari units that need a quick spruce up....

Could also be enemies first with sisters saving the day for book 2. Or a brand new army (imperial or otherwise).

nah... sisters will be released October / November* time so they wont want any other 40k models released at the same time

*my guess from last year... and its still on track!

Why not? It wouldn't be the first time. Primaris&Death Guard and Vanguard&newCSM are just two recent examples.

But arent they a release of a faction + a two player box that has an opposing force in?

Where as as if you was to do a sisters faction release & then a faction release to go with a book you have 2 factions competing for sales

I could be wrong.....it is a guess :p

Yeah, as Tyriks said, they could very well have a battlebox with two new opposing sides, with one of the factions released as multipart almost immediately and the other several months down the line (this happened to dark Imperium and will probably happen for Shadowspear)

However, I'd be extremely surprised if there isn't anything between then and now: the two vigilus books were released essentially 2 and a half months apart - if there is a similar release schedule (which looks entirely plausible atm) we could be in for a book June/july then one September/October. And frankly, there are other armies that also need updates - perhaps not quite as badly as sisters, but we essentially know sisters are arriving Q4. That leaves two whole quarters in which we could see:

World Eaters, Emperor's Children, New Guard, Gazhkull, Eldar infantry... the list goes on.

Except guys this is an AoS year....well last year was a 40K one.... so the main summer release will be Sigmar not 40K

Is this a thing they've said themselves or just something you/peope in general have deduced? How is that even defined, didn't AoS 2.0 drop last year?

I just think that GW has kept up an insane pace in general so far. GSC & Chaos on the 40k side and Gloomspite Gitz on the AoS side. That's 3 army revamps and we're just in the end of March. We know that SoB will come this year and that will surely bring something like a campaign or new setting with it, seeing as how hyped that release is. But that'll probably be by the end of the year so the question sort of loops back to the beginning, is this "AoS year" a real thing? Because then 40k might be on a hiatus until October/November, otherwise I think GW will squeeze in a summer campaign for 40k. Perhaps especially so if that campaign is a two-parter where the SoB can come in at part 2 and save the day.

I'm pretty sure they said it was an AoS year last year and this year was 40k - we've already had three 40k factions released (or rereleased) this year, last year had a lot of AoS factions *and* AoS 2nd ed

So yeah, let the others have there wishlisting time since we know sisters are coming :P