Vigilus Falls, What next?(Here be spoilers)

Sete

Vigilus first showed up in the fluff for Kill Team I think. So let’s see what warzone the new Apocalypse background is set in. Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the next one for a campaign.

I know armageddon has been floating around for a while....is this just speculation or was there any type of legit rumor behind it at any point?

Speculation based on lore bits like Angron trying to be summoned back to realspace right on the planet and Ghaz buggering off for a while with the intention of coming back with a bigger WAAAGH. Combine Ghaz being in dire need of a new model, Angron being a given, the Guard also desperately needing an update, and you get the perfect storm for Armageddon-based speculations. Plus it gives people a pretty good scenario to add a loyalist Primarch to the wishlist mix so he can confront the red and green tides.

Angron, Apocalypse game, and Armageddon all fit well with each other.

However Fulgrim is active in universe, and we just got slaanesh daemons. Which gives Emperor's Children also a good chance, however no real place to do it.

However neither of these really seem to clearly open the possibility of a loyalist primarch, which is what I want to see. Give us some fresh air.

Armageddon could easily give us Vulkan (the bestest of boys) since lore wise that's the last place we heard of him if I remember correctly. Also, although not a primarch, it could also give us Helbrecht because of his tie-in with Ghaz.

I would sort of hope that imperial psykers get a vision of Ghaz returning to Armageddon so Helbrecht scurries over there to meet him. But as he makes planetfall he realises there are chaos cults there ressurecting Angron. So Helbrecht, alongside his BT and new armageddon steel legion try to fight him off. Just as it starts to look dire for Helbrecht, Ghaz actually arrives. Seeing Angron he obviously wants to fight that guy and ends up inadvertently saving Helbrecht. Then they all duke it out before someone loses or their attention is turned elsewhere. Helbrecht is left with conflicting thoughts, basically owing his life to the being he has sworn to kill.

Would this ever happen? Probably not, but I think it sounds fun. I would absolutely love Salamanders getting their day in the sun here, and Vulkan returning, (my favorite chapter and primarch) but it might end up being too many cooks. I guess you could substitute Grey Knights for Salamanders.

Book 1 would be: Steel legion & Black Templars vs. Angron and his madlads. Book 1 basically ends as Helbrecht sees Angron across the battlefield and moves towards him

Book 2: Grey Knights, Sisters & Orks join the fray

Actually there is a far easier way of GW doing this....

WarZones - each war zone is a book that covers terrain rules, foruna, npc animals etc, 12 missions (6 of each) & a faction update

eg - WarZone Catchan, gives you jungle deathworlds including man eating plants and grip vines etc.... rules for catachan exploding toads (remember them from 3rd ed WD)... with a guard & kroot update

Honestly Armaggedon would be perfect to launch so many things. Unfortunately I don't expect GW to deliver on half our wish list.

I still expect new Guard. There are a couple of bits on the rumour engine that could be for them. the satchel and the new vehicle door for example.

Angron will eventually come, that much is certain.

But now attention for BT and Salmanders? I require a big leap of faith to actually believe it will have a chance to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I would be ecstatic, but that requires the narrative to move from Ultras everywhere, and so far its been 2 years of ultras everywhere. 

And lets not forget that DA,BA,SW and GK have been largely ignored aswell.

Actually there is a far easier way of GW doing this....

WarZones - each war zone is a book that covers terrain rules, foruna, npc animals etc, 12 missions (6 of each) & a faction update

eg - WarZone Catchan, gives you jungle deathworlds including man eating plants and grip vines etc.... rules for catachan exploding toads (remember them from 3rd ed WD)... with a guard & kroot update

I think this is exactly what they intend for the post Vigilus scenario. A series of updated warzone books giving the status quo in the post rift Imperium, Fenris, Armageddon, Baal, Damocles, etc. The question is will they be just an overview or a detailed campaign.

I just got Vigilus Ablaze in my hands and read through most of the plot points. I didn't want to judge the whole climax between Abaddon and Calgar too harshly as most stories can sound pretty dumb summarized to a sentence or two. Having said that, the entire fight between them is barely a paragraph long. It's literally 4 strikes combined that are mentioned. 

I feel like they could've made this seem a lot more epic without breaking a sweat. Oh well, on to other worlds I guess.

After reading Ablaze

I expect one of the next warzones to be the other side of the Nachmund gauntlet, considering they foreshadow Abaddon having sent the Planet killer there at book end

So on Sangua Terra? Curious little system, that one. On Vigilus Defiant, the entire Nachmund Gauntlet, including Sangua Terra, is defined as "War Zone Vigilus", even if the majority of the action happens within the Vigilus system. Meanwhile, according to the map, Sangua Terra is in a galactic triangle formed by what's left of Cadia, Fenris, and Armageddon, so one would think that end of the Gauntlet would have better access to defenders and reinforcements, even if just for the homeless Cadians looking for a new place to defend from the forces of Chaos.

wKDRMnu.jpg

Two separate mentions that the main bulk of Night Lords are off fighting Eldar elsewhere, and casual mention that a planet (at least) was ceded to the Necrons by Imperials so they could fight at Vigilus. Both could be campaigns unto themselves so long as the Ultramarines get involved*.

*This is a joke. We all know Ultramarines could still get credit for the win by sending the saviors to the system.

After reading through the Vigilus 2 plot, the only thing I could think was that GW are a bunch of cowards. That's the word that stuck with me, Coward. It put a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Ah well, though. I guess expecting something outside the norm was too much. Shame on me for hoping we'd actually get a satisfying conclusion to the story they've hyped for the passed 4 months.

The more of the Age of Sigmar lore I read the less hope I have for 40k. You can very clearly see direct parallels between the ways they make the narratives. Every faction will always play some role. No one will clearly win or move the ball. The Macguffin they create for the purpose of the story will have no relevance after the series ends. The forces in the story are molded by what you could actually put on the table instead of realistic amounts of forces needed to secure a victory. The stories feel so small, in spite of the sheer volume of characters present. By leaving no one out they make it all irrelevant.

Would be a start if they actually kill of some named characters. Or actually shake things up and have some people fighting for different factions like they hinted at before 8th dropped, its always 'close fight but Chaos Lord Steves mother called and he had to go home so no one wins' kinda crap. For gods sake GW its a war game, kill off some people and make room for *vomits* primaris characters, and I dont mean giving them the Calgar treatment.

One of the biggest disappointments for me personally was them moving the timeline forward ~200 years and have almost no new characters while retaining the same ones. Yes, SM live a long time, but they have also been participating in a galaxy wide crusade for most of that time. Never mind the losses during the creation of the Rift and its immediate after effects.

One of the biggest disappointments for me personally was them moving the timeline forward ~200 years and have almost no new characters while retaining the same ones. Yes, SM live a long time, but they have also been participating in a galaxy wide crusade for most of that time. Never mind the losses during the creation of the Rift and its immediate after effects.

Not to mention non-Astartes characters who are long-living by our standards due bionics and rejuvenation procedures but still not anywhere near the 'normal' lifespan of an Astartes ... especially when fighting wars all the time.

To be fair they (the writers) have never written any fluff that's remotely believable or realistic.. so why should we start to worry now?  The closest has been FWs campaign books and even they are... problematic shall we say....

eg a 'large' army of several million men taking over a world...

To be fair they (the writers) have never written any fluff that's remotely believable or realistic.. so why should we start to worry now? The closest has been FWs campaign books and even they are... problematic shall we say....

Who needs several million men when a single marine chapter (or company) is ‚enough’ to pacify a planet? Marines are just that good.^^

Though to be fair, a lot of planets in 40k are surprisingly sparsely populated. ‚Taking over a planet‘ seems to often mean ‚taking over the one fortified city where everyone lives‘. I mean Vraks for example had only about 8 million inhabitants. Even Hive worlds often seem to concentrate their large populations on a very small, easily controllable area.

To be fair they (the writers) have never written any fluff that's remotely believable or realistic.. so why should we start to worry now? The closest has been FWs campaign books and even they are... problematic shall we say....

Forge World hasn’t had the an issue with numbers since Vraks at least if not Taros.

@finkmilkana

& that is my point... a chapter in its entirety hasn't enough bodies to take a moderate sized nation....

@marshal rohr

numbers is only part of the problem though... not going into any more detail due to forum rules about bringing real world in to the forum... (I've had posts deleted for using Real World examples )

Story is fine guys. This isn't game of thrones.

They might kill characters off AFTER they stop supporting them with models.

Cadia has fallen. Earth was attacked by Daemons, Primarchs roam the stars. Plenty has happened.

Thank you for providing three examples to illustrate the point that the studio creates MacGuffins and does nothing with them. Cadia breaks open, but Chaos doesn’t conquer any new territory in the Segmentum Solar, instead relying on a great rift that’s only purpose is to hinder communication and provide a time Skip. Terra is attacked by Daemons, repels them, goes back to normal. Mortarion and Magnus return to realspace, and make no discernible progress towards defeating the Imperium.

Archived