Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Artis Opus Series M Kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,215 posts
  • Faction: Astral Claws, Mantis Warriors

Artis Opus have another Kickstarter up with a few days to run.

They make fantastic brushes and the Series S were REALLY popular, as the previous campaign went ahead and all shipped on time and this one is fully funded already there seems to be very little risk involved in this for the buyers.

The Kickstarter project is here: http://kck.st/2DOzgfP

The Artis Opus page is: https://www.artis-opus.com 

Check out the guys that have reviewed them:

Massive Voodoo: http://massivevoodoo...us-brushes.html

Tangible Day: https://tangibleday....n-depth-review/

Jimmi Waz Ere: https://jimmiwazere....s-opus-brushes/

Rik

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves, 
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

Aarik

Aarik

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 141 posts

How do they compare with Windsor and Newton series 7?

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,977 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

How do they compare with Windsor and Newton series 7?

And Escoda Reserva 1212, as well as Raphael 8404?

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,215 posts
I've had W&N Brushes and Broken Toad ones, also a fair few cheaper brushes. The Artis Opus ones are pretty comparable to the W&Ns although slightly "firmer" if that's the right word.

Never had any Raphaels so can't comment on those.

To give an idea though, James Otero who set up Siege Studios is also heavily involved in this business and uses them, and Angel Giraldez is happy endorsing them.

Rik

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves, 

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

This kickstarter is for the series M, they're Opus' version of the short bristle brushes; equivalent to a series 7 miniature, or a rosemary and co 323 spotter. The short length makes them stiffer than a 'regular' length brush, but the trade off is less body so they will need refilling more. The differences do narrow once you get down to the sub 0 sizes, standard 000 brushes are pretty short too! Some painters prefer that style, and they do have their uses for freehanding etc if your hands are rock steady! For most painters though, the existing series S is closer to what you're used to. Obvs not much in the way of reviews for the M series yet.

The existing range, the opus series S, is the one that's been reviewed a fair amount. General consensus is they're very nice brushes. I haven't bought any opus yet, but I am very tempted - I do have series 7, 8404, reserva 1212, plus various rosemary & co and a couple of broken toad cat's tongue brushes.

From reviews, the series S is similar in shape to a w&n series 7, but has a bit more snap than the series 7, so slightly stiffer bristles, and a tad longer. The handles are a little bit fatter than the series 7, so supposedly easier to grip, but not a massive difference. Holds the sharp point very well if cared for, as you'd expect from a quality kolinsky. Interestingly, the size 1 and 2 are very similar in length, but the 2 has a fuller body for more paint. The markings are higher up the body, so apparently don't rub off which is a nice touch. They also come in a quality box if you buy the set. Individually, they're around the price of a series 7. They were out of stock when I was last brush shopping, but I will be trying them myself in the near future.

Obviously, I'm no pro painter, but this has been my experience of the alternatives.

Obvs the raphael 8404 is a bit of a different style to either; the bristles are significantly longer and with more body at a given size, so I usually drop a size (e.g. use a raphael 8404 size 0 as equivalent to a series 7 size 1). The 8404 has less snap, ie a bit more floppy, but still holds its sharp point which is every bit as good as a series 7. I do like my 8404's a lot and use them as my primary brushes (they're also always glorious blending brushes) but for edge painting something a bit stiffer is arguably more useful. They are a bit cheaper than a series 7.

Personally speaking, I've not been wowed by the escoda reserva, though I only have a couple. They did seem to lose their point quicker than a good series 7 to which it seemed pretty similar, plus it's not that easy to find in the UK. They just didn't quite do it for me, but brushes can be such a personal thing depending upon your style of painting, and I know some painters love em to bits.

I do like rosemary & co series 33 a lot. The downside is the point does fade quicker than say an 8404 or series 7, and I have had one fishtail relatively early on in life. The main downside is the markings rub off them *really* quickly, so I end up having to label them myself so I can quickly tell em apart! They are however less than half the price of a series 7 or an 8404, so for that I can forgive a lot. If I was younger and more budget constrained, I'd happily stick to these alone. I do use their cheap series 401 sable blend a surprising amount, they're ideal where you don't need a spectacular point or body and don't want to risk your nicest brushes - individual area washes, stippling, lightly drybrushing small metallic gubbins, that sort of thing.

The brokentoad speartip aka cat's tongue are nice enough, but I believe they've stopped making brushes now; they're going to be selling raphael 8404's in future according to facebook.

Lastly the famous series 7. They are great, great brushes and deservedly the benchmark by which others are judged. A good quality series 7 will last ages. And that's the rub for me - I had a couple of bad series 7's a few years ago, so switched to raphael 8404's and found the softer bristle suited my style nicely. I did need something stiffer after struggling through edge highlighting somewhat, and picked up a small discounted series 7 set for xmas from ken bromley to give it another go (deeply rural area, so online only for me). The size 1 has already started to split on me, and I've barely used it a half dozen times. They all start great, which is why it's so frustrating, they pass initial use just fine. I've yet to have a bad 8404 and they last literally years, and even my one iffy rosemary & co lasted for months. I look after my brushes carefully, and I'm definitely not the only one that's had issues with variable quality from series 7. The ones that are still holding together are brilliant, but it's too much of a lottery for me personally at the price. If the reviews are accurate, I think the Opus S will be my drop-in replacement for a series 7.

Edited by Arkhanist, 09 March 2019 - 12:03 AM.

gallery_53969_15812_3395.gif gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg gallery_48988_15465_4294.png gallery_48988_15094_4883.png

Khalan

Khalan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 173 posts

I use W+N and have 2 sets of the Series S from Artis Opus, I also have a mix of GW and other brands. THe Series S out of the box were not great, out of the 10 brushes I have about 50% were basically unusable form the get go due to fraying tips and forked tips. They did not hold a point whatsoever and the hairs would split when the brush was holding paint. I have gone back to my W/N.

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,215 posts

I use W+N and have 2 sets of the Series S from Artis Opus, I also have a mix of GW and other brands. THe Series S out of the box were not great, out of the 10 brushes I have about 50% were basically unusable form the get go due to fraying tips and forked tips. They did not hold a point whatsoever and the hairs would split when the brush was holding paint. I have gone back to my W/N.

Depending how long you've had them you should definitely consider getting in touch with them for replacements.

This kind of brush will always be handmade and using natural hairs so there's bound to be a variance in quality but you can still demand a minimum standard.

Rik

Jarl Caldersson

Jarl Caldersson

++ OCCISOR CANUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,946 posts
  • Faction: Allfathers Einherjar, DG

Are these worth the money? I need some new brushes after i messed up my W&N 7's. 

sml_gallery_69091_12729_6611.jpggallery_4664_11830_1029.jpeg
If you want your army paint scheme made in Impcat just send me a message.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,445 posts
Well I decided to buy a set from their kickstarter. I’m on the fence about it. I’ve gone through a ton of brushes over the decades. Those of you that know me through the BnC already know I paint a ton of volume of 40k stuff. I don’t really do commissions as much but I still put a lot of hours in.

Over the years I’ve bought a lot of brush sets that have claimed to be top shelf and some are just lip service. These aren’t cheap brushes and I’m hoping for the best.

I won’t get my set until late summer but I will do a review on my blog.

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

Bung

Bung

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 794 posts
I ordered after their Kickstarter from their website. Got a 3 month delivery time so not that happy with that company. I ordered more Brokentoad brushes when they sold their last batch cause way better customer service.

Xwingt65

Xwingt65

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,396 posts
  • Faction: HH Hobby Bee.

I have had the same experience with the series S. 2 of the 5 brushes are basically not useable.
13.jpg

The 40k fluff explained to an outsider:

Some space elves got really into drugs and sex and a big scary monster got born that ate them.
A space wizard got beaten up by a guy who said he was his friend but wasn't and now he's on a life support machine and people worship him because he was super awesome.
Now there are giant men with rocket launcher machine guns and 4 hearts and are really super awesome who beat up everything.
Also there's a bunch of aliens but they don't really do anything and aren't as cool as the rocket machine gun super men, so who cares?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users