Quick Gnarlmaw question!

Trollbeard

Hey guys, I have a quick question about the Feculent Gnarlmaw, it gives a 2+ bonus to cover for nurgle demons within 7”, does this also stack with regular board terrain granting cover?

Basically I’m wanting to get the new obliterator models and the master of possession to ally to my Nurgle demons. And have them all sit within the trees aura.

If it does stack, then obliterators would get a full 2+ save against Lascannons in cover, making a very difficult target.

Am I right on this? Or does the tree supersede the base cover?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I have a quick question about the Feculent Gnarlmaw, it gives a 2+ bonus to cover for nurgle demons within 7”, does this also stack with regular board terrain granting cover?

Basically I’m wanting to get the new obliterator models and the master of possession to ally to my Nurgle demons. And have them all sit within the trees aura.

If it does stack, then obliterators would get a full 2+ save against Lascannons in cover, making a very difficult target.

Thanks!

Alright, lets check the wording. Shroud of Flies says "[...] receive the benefit of cover, but you add 2 to their saving throws instead of 1 [...]". The important part here is the little word "instead". So you simply add +2 to armour saves instead of the usual +1 and that's it. A Nurgle Daemon unit with a 6+ save will have a 4+ save (unless the opponent ignores cover) and so on.

Obliterators which are completely within 7" of the Gnarlmaw will have a 0+ armour save so against the AP-3 of a Lascannon you'll have to roll a 3+. Still extremely strong. The difficulty will be to fit them completely within 7" of a Gnarlmaw considering how big their new bases are.

Ah thanks for that, couldn’t check myself as

I’m at work, but still very strong! I was planning in running 3x 1 obliterator units, so it shouldn’t be a

Big problem having them within range of the tree.

My idea is to have a spearhead or oblits and the MoP, and a spearhead Outrider of a DG DP and 3x foetid bloat drones to accompany my main force of demons. And I think the new models look awesome lol.

I think a GUO with bell might not be needed, if you keep them parked by the tree they wil have really decent saves and staying power. They will either draw a ton of fire, allowing the rest of my force to advance, or they get ignored for a bit.

I will test it out once the rules officially drop!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alas, it does not. It does, however, have the ability to Deepstrike using the Daemon stratagem, but you shouldn't bother -- place it on the edge of your deployment, as you can only use the charge/fall back shenanigans if you begin the turn within 7'' of the tree.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I've done this tactic and it's legit, basically tabled Astra Militarum by turn 3. the Gnarlmaw has a huge footprint, you can easily fit 6 Oblits (new ones) around it - 7" actually gives you a surprisinly big area. Bring a Nurgle Daemons battalion so you can deep strike the tree for 1CP into the middle of the board but behind your Plaguebearers/Nurglings and ensure your Oblits are positioned centrally to reach most of the board that matters. You'll want to place objectives as close to each other in or close to the centre of the board too so your Oblits guns can cover them. If your opponent has lots of high AP then throw Miasma on a unit so they have a harder time hitting too.

Edited by Dallas Drake