On average, how long does it take you to assemble a box?

Axineton

So with Shadowspear out next week, I still have Forgebane, tooth and claw and wake the dead to unbox and assemble along with the last two kill team kill teams that were released. Just wondering how how long it takes people to assemble the minis from brand new and then get them on the table for gaming?

I’m pretty slow at this.

Edited by Fr33Dom

How long is a piece of string?

Even when Real-Life™ doesn't interfere, motivation ebbs and flows, other projects distract, etc etc. I've picked up several kilos of Vostroyans from the Made to Order last Christmas - the iron was hot and I couldn't wait for them to arrive and get started...

...and now they're still sitting in their boxes in the cupboard. :rolleyes:

-Ran

All depends really.

I assembled both Christmas primaris boxes in about a week. I have a Cadian Defense Force box sitting for over a few months now; only the chimera and weapon teams have been built and some bits cannibalized for other projects.

TBH tho, assembly is my favorite part of the hobby so I usually do that the quickest.

I tend to enjoy building more than any other part of the hobby, so I usually crank mine out quickly. I think right now is the longest I've had a box without building it, which is Blackstone Fortress, and that's just because I'm in the process of buying a house and it'll be easier to move it if I don't build them yet.

When the Knight codex dropped I got the Castellan and Valiant built within a day...

Entirely depends, especially if I am converting the models in the box. If I have free time, I can crank portions of a box out in no time (my armiger—>TStalker conversion too almost no time, hardest part was slicing off rivets) but I have had a Necron start collecting box that is still 70% unbuilt, and a DG Dark Imperium half Ive been looking to get rid of (not to mention the anicent that is still in two pieces for painting, and the inceptors that are still I attached to their base). So, I guess, a year and a half? I bought it mid July the year it came out, and it’s still not done.

I think familiarity with the kit helps. My first warlord titan (titanicus) was most of an afternoon, the second an hour or so. Similarly I made a squad of ten intercessors in a couple of hours the other night but if I'm converting or kit bashing it can take ages. The intercessors have to be painted by the end of the week as well otherwise my wife will ask me why I needed to buy the new vanguard marines!

I generally don't procrastinate much, but there's usually a few things I put aside and just kinda never get too thinking it's best reserved until a better time (2 ork Speek Kult boxes still intact). 

In general, if I get a box and I'm not waiting on third party pieces or what not: It'll be apart, cleaned, clipped, and glued inside 2 days (yeah, including things like Dark Imperium, Calth, etc) and painted in 1-2 weeks. 

I've put together ~20 guardmen in a few minutes, but I also have some half built kits like a Valkyrie (which I'm converting) and Taurox (no wheels yet) which I got ages ago and still have not finished to completion.

Just building, once I know what loadout I want, I probably need ~15-45 minutes for assembling a box of infantry and ~1-2 hours for a tank - without waiting for glue to dry and without conversions that is. I feel to be fair I must mention that I've taken much longer when I started out with 40k. I've also got some previous experience from building scale models.

The better you know a kit, the more subassemblies you can build simultaneously. And sometimes even take some shortcuts.

Conversions tend to take longer than building the kit as is.

On the other extreme, the converted infantry I'm building currently is going at a rate of ~2 models per day since I have to put a lot of thought into choice of parts and I need to testfit, cut and recombine many pieces. It's kind of like playing with LEGO - except I've got no instruction manual and some of the pieces have the wrong shape initially.

Don't ask me about painting though *looks at a bunch of models, most of which are grey*

I've still got a box of Deathwing Terminators from 2nd Edition that has never been fully assembled... also still haven't ever fully assembled everything that was in Dark Vengeance (and I'm not really sure where my 3rd Edition starter that still had all the Dark Eldar got to, none of those were assembled).

Sometimes i seem to vanish into warp and time there is, well... We all know chronometers don´t work that well.

I always thought that if I had that Room of Spirit and Time from Dragon Ball Z crossed with a Star Trek holodeck it would be an awesome way to turn two days off into a vacation every time.

I've been super procrastinating on putting together my three Repulsors. The instructions were like "damn...."

For the most part, I assemble straight away and the only things I have lying around are spares from kitbashing.

I'm much more of a procrastinator when it comes to painting, and it can take me years to get around to picking up brushes on stuff.

As I would be ashamed of playing with unpainted minis it takes me a while from opening the box till the models see the table. But sometimes it goes faster 50% of a Tooth and Claw box I picked up two weeks ago is done. But I have eldar walkers somewhere that has been there for years.

Cpt Danjou

Much like many others, I have several boxes in various states of completion. The nearest I could come up to your request is my Thousand Sons army based on the battle at Calth box and prospero boxes (50% from each really so counted as 1 box) which took me 1 year to complete.

So yeah, a while, don't feel guilty.

KillTeam took me a month for the scenery, and then another month for the 10 cultists.

I've been working of the Cult half of Tooth and Claw since new year, and have finished four genestealers and two aberrants so far.

It depends on the mini - if it can be fully assembled without interfering with my ability to paint it (Poxwalkers, Genestealers, most push-fit minis, etc.), I'm try to assemble it quickly so I can clear space on my shelves.

The empty space is then filled with unopened boxes that sit there for years.