500 points Death Guard (trying to start a local 40k scene)

Crovan

Greetings, pestilent ones.  I live about an hour and a half from the FLGS here in Alaska.  There are some local folks who have either played 40k before or are interested in trying.  As a result, I'm trying to put together 500 point lists for my Black Templars, Death Guard, and AdMech so we can get some games in.  I want each list to highlight what the army does, but I want them to be fun to play against each other as well.

For models available, I'm limited to the Dark Imperium set at the moment, though I am open to getting more as we start to expand game sizes.  I'd like to get the Foetid Bloat Drone in, but it would mean dropping the Noxious Blightbringer and one of the HQs.  I kinda want one of the three armies to have a psyker, and I don't know if losing the Lord of Contagion would hurt too much vs the vehicles in the AdMech list.  

Black Templars 500 pts

AdMech 500 pts

++ Patrol Detachment (Chaos - Death Guard) [30 PL, 500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Lord of Contagion [7 PL, 115pts]: 1. Revoltingly Resilient, Plaguereaper, The Suppurating Plate, Warlord

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: 1. Miasma of Pestilence, 4. Blades of Putrefaction

+ Troops +

Plague Marines [7 PL, 100pts]
. Plague Champion
. . Codex: Boltgun, Plague knife, Power fist
. 3x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Poxwalker

+ Elites +

Noxious Blightbringer [4 PL, 55pts]: Plasma pistol

++ Total: [30 PL, 500pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I think you have too many points in HQs. You could run the LoC as counts as Typhus that way you get the best of both worlds plus he makes the Poxbringers pretty scary by casting Putrescent Vitality and Blades of Putrefaction.

Interesting idea, thanks! That would cover the bases of having both a hitty HQ and a psyker.

Hmm this is far and away the weakest of the 3 lists, this has almost no way to deal with vehicles from the admech list, and will struggle vs the BT list due to dakka.  If what you have to work with is just the DI set then I would try to find a way to get the bloat drone in there,  Alternatively you mentioned in the BT post you had a bunch of marine stuff, you could loan a rhino over to the DG to help out a little bit but not sure that will be good enough.  Honestly DG is one of those armies that needs 750-1000 points to function properly, or they need to fight VERY weak lists.   This list just doesn't have any OOMPH to it.  The bts got some plasmas, a missile launcher, assaults, and emp's champ so they have some fun toys.  The admech have quite a few special weapons, the auto cannon and an onager so lots of toys there too, this 1 has.... hard to kill zombies, and a few OK characters.  Worry with this is whoever plays it will just sorta feel like a target practice army.  If you can't get this 1 to work since you have the DI set why not just run a 2nd Imp army of primaris?  BT normal arines and a primaris based codex chapter should be different enough.

Hmm this is far and away the weakest of the 3 lists, this has almost no way to deal with vehicles from the admech list, and will struggle vs the BT list due to dakka.  If what you have to work with is just the DI set then I would try to find a way to get the bloat drone in there,  Alternatively you mentioned in the BT post you had a bunch of marine stuff, you could loan a rhino over to the DG to help out a little bit but not sure that will be good enough.  Honestly DG is one of those armies that needs 750-1000 points to function properly, or they need to fight VERY weak lists.   This list just doesn't have any OOMPH to it.  The bts got some plasmas, a missile launcher, assaults, and emp's champ so they have some fun toys.  The admech have quite a few special weapons, the auto cannon and an onager so lots of toys there too, this 1 has.... hard to kill zombies, and a few OK characters.  Worry with this is whoever plays it will just sorta feel like a target practice army.  If you can't get this 1 to work since you have the DI set why not just run a 2nd Imp army of primaris?  BT normal arines and a primaris based codex chapter should be different enough.

I agree.  I think if I stick to the Lord of Contagion and drop the Noxius Blightbringer then I can bring the drone.  If I drop a couple Poxwalkers then I can also bring the Plague Marines up to 7.  But yeah, it just feels a bit Meh.  After I buy whatever the last Unit is to bring AdMech up to 500, I may get a Plagueburst Crawler for these guys.  That should give them a lot more punch.

I don't actually have the full DI set.  I do have some Primaris stuff, and have the Primaris half of Shadowspear coming, so that's an option in the future.

Here is take-two.  I feel like it's a little more interesting with the Bloat-Drone in there.

++ Patrol Detachment (Chaos - Death Guard) [31 PL, 499pts] ++

+ HQ +

Lord of Contagion [7 PL, 112pts]: 2. Living Plague, Manreaper, The Suppurating Plate, Warlord

+ Troops +

Plague Marines [10 PL, 133pts]
. Plague Champion
. . Codex: Boltgun, Plaguesword, Power fist
. 5x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 96pts]: 16x Poxwalker

+ Fast Attack +

Foetid Bloat-drone [8 PL, 158pts]: 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

++ Total: [31 PL, 499pts] ++

I would use this:

++ Patrol Detachment (Chaos - Death Guard) [30 PL, 3CP, 497pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour [6 PL, 103pts]: Balesword, Combi-bolter, Plaguebringer, Warlord

+ Troops +

Plague Marines [10 PL, 134pts]
. Plague Champion
. . INDEX: Combi-bolter, Plague knife
. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 102pts]: 17x Poxwalker

+ Fast Attack +

++ Total: [30 PL, 3CP, 497pts] ++

I would use this:

++ Patrol Detachment (Chaos - Death Guard) [30 PL, 3CP, 497pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour [6 PL, 103pts]: Balesword, Combi-bolter, Plaguebringer, Warlord

+ Troops +

Plague Marines [10 PL, 134pts]
. Plague Champion
. . INDEX: Combi-bolter, Plague knife
. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 102pts]: 17x Poxwalker

+ Fast Attack +

++ Total: [30 PL, 3CP, 497pts] ++

Thanks for the input!  The goal at the moment is to buy as few models beyond DI as possible, since these will be used mostly for intro games against the other two armies.  That said, I may have an old terminator lord lying around.  I've also considered a Myphitic Blight Hauler for a bit of extra anti-tank at 750+.

Thanks for the input!  The goal at the moment is to buy as few models beyond DI as possible, since these will be used mostly for intro games against the other two armies.  That said, I may have an old terminator lord lying around.  I've also considered a Myphitic Blight Hauler for a bit of extra anti-tank at 750+.

The Lord of Contagion could still be used as a counts as so no extra models needed. Maybe some conversion work to make the weapons WYSIWYG.

While I haven't played with one yet I do like the idea of the trikes.

• 2 weeks later...
I start learning games at 750 points versus 500. I find they take roughly 45 minutes to complete with teaching involved. I also like 750, because it gives you a better all around view of 40k. It allows a unit with higher toughness such as a single tank, monster, or dreadnought. I usually dont add the psychic phase until 1000, 1250 escalated games once I feel like the new people have a grasp of the game. Plus 750 points takes about as long to paint as 500.

Thanks! I've been leaning more towards 750 of late since that would let me bring both a blight-hauler and a drone. That way I can do fun things like mechanized BT and AdMech vehicles while keeping it more fair.

Thanks! I've been leaning more towards 750 of late since that would let me bring both a blight-hauler and a drone. That way I can do fun things like mechanized BT and AdMech vehicles while keeping it more fair.

750 is also better for a patrol detachment learning game than 500 is. So you dont have to worry about cramming 3 troops and 2 HQs into a comp and having no room for anything else.

Plus Dark Imperium is the best way to get started for new players and is right at 700ish points with all upgrades on both sides. I do think the start collecting boxes vary between 500ish points which gives you a good foundation to build upon without letting purchases etc. Get out of hand.

Archived