Sanguinius Full Rules for 30k

Charlo

Sloppy.

Couple typos.

Doesn't clarify when to use the first / second profile before / after the slash for the Spear of Telesto in melee (I mean, we know how to apply them, apparently, but it's sloppy non the less).

Doesn't mention a thing about him unlocking Dawnbreakers as troops.

One would've thought they'd put more effort into his data sheet here, which they're bestowing upon us since the book is still MIA obviously ...

JesusFranklin Christ - One use Inferno pistol... and without melta rule. He throws that pistol at enemy? golly gee?

Well, nothing actually new except that lame One use Infernus pistol.

One use Telesto spear.

One use deep strike

One use Primarch, best before Horus.

And it seems - he is not a psyker even a bit.

Yea, the writers at the Weekenders said that they wanted to imply psychic abilities beyond "simple" game mechanics of ML 1, 2, 3, etc...

Aka why is the Khan able to choose what side of the board he can come in from? Why do Curze's Widowmakers ignore armor/invuln saves? Why is Sanguinius able to get up to I9* in a challenge?

...because it is implied "passive" psychic abilities.

...not defending the move, just reiterating what I was told 1:1 with the writers.

*Sanguinius = I7 base, +1I in first round of combat +1I from Moonsilver Blade's Duelist Edge = I9 in a challenge.

I wish Sanguinius could Zoom as a flyer. Honestly he doesn't feel like a dude with wings considering he just is just jumping around like Corax and Curze who both have jump packs.

Ran

Edit:And if I recall Deamon Prince with wings could zoom too.

Edited by Ranwulf

Well first of all, princes were fmcs while primarchs are ics.

Second, Curze doesn't have a pack. He just leaps.

Third, corax does have wings; they may be mechanical, but they're archeotech wings all the same.

Fourth, swooping was incredibly useless for melee fmcs, while jink during glide was incredibly overpowered.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

1. Absolutely changes nothing on the reason he should fly.

2. That is stupid.

3. His wings are not giving him flight, the huge rockets in it are.

4. Doesn't really matter. Its not that hard giving Sanguinius a special rule to make it better for him

All in all, Sanguinius should be able to fly like other creatures that have wings.

Ran

But are there any flying monstrous creatures in 30K currently, that have been written under Alan Bligh & his team, or the current team? I don't think so. Yes, there are the daemons in the 7th edition codex, but they are soon to be replaced by Malevolence's list - and how flying monstrous creatures operate in it may be different from 7th's FMCs.

1.From a rules perspective, it certainly does.

2.That's, like your opinion man

3. They're more like turbines and also smaller than any jump pack equivalent. Fluff wise he can soar and do all sorts of things sanguinius can also do as result of the archeotech wings and pack. Game play they're also the same, except sang has stronger HoW (...somehow) and better deepstrike.

4. Explain Ic interaction while swooping; access to squad wide cover off of jink, charging/targetting, etc... Makes a lot of sense.

And....there are no Swooping units that have wings in a 30k publication. Any wings are jump packs; the only FMC is the vulturax...which has turbines. Guess Corax should get it after all.

Leaping Curze is no more stupid than Mortarion's Shadow of the Reaper. This is his super power after all.

I'm kind of tired of this - "Sanguinius should get more!". What you've got is a melee blener primarch that has :cuss ton of high quality attacks, demolisher HoW, and is super fast, not mentioning his ability to reroll invs when he charges. For your information people Sanguinius was NEVER portrayed as a great general, "just" a formidable fighter - and that's what he is.

In a turn he can dump 1 str6ap2, 10 str8ap1 (more if you roll 6s to wound in melee), and a str10ap2 into a unit before they have a chance to strike back. He has massive movement, and gives the same to other jump packers in the army. Edited by Brother Styphus

In a turn he can dump 1 str6ap2, 10 str8ap1 (more if you roll 6s to wound in melee), and a str10ap2 into a unit before they have a chance to strike back. He has massive movement, and gives the same to other jump packers in the army.

Where did this 10 S8AP1 attacks came from?

Also reading into Sky Strike - this rule should be toned down or removed. auto D3 S6 AP2 with no cover vs ZOOMING FLYER? It's ridiculous. Like Sanguinius can literally punch a Xiphon that zips at G force speed at very high attitude? :wallbash:

In game terms he needs 2x 5+ to wreck Xiphon/Lightning just by moving "over it" (:facepalm: yeah, right...).

This. Is. Stupid.

Edited by rendingon1+

*S9 AP1 on the charge w/ Spear

and it's:

Spear = 8A on the charge (6 base +1 from Sire +1 from Charge)

Encarmine blade = up to 11A on the charge (6 base +1 from Sire +3* from Rampage +1 from Charge).

I wouldn't call him "perfect" by any means...I think there's questions around how he has been translated onto the tabletop, and--like his model--he is such a popular and iconic figure that any representation was bound to have some misgivings/questions.

I think it's fair to criticize him in the same way that Angron, Lorgar, [insert other unit here] etc.. etc... can all be rightfully questioned as well.

Is he bad on the table? Absolutely not.

But does the soup need a pinch of salt or a peck of pepper? You bet.

Edited by Indefragable

In a turn he can dump 1 str6ap2, 10 str8ap1 (more if you roll 6s to wound in melee), and a str10ap2 into a unit before they have a chance to strike back. He has massive movement, and gives the same to other jump packers in the army.

Where did this 10 S8AP1 attacks came from?

Whoops, the spear is str9, not 8. The other two come from his shooting attack.

A 'peck of pepper' is a good way to put it, at present he does seem a little like a generic 'This Is What A Powerful Flying Primarch Looks Like'. A malus associated with the death of a certain proportion of BA units - 50%? - that raises A at the cost of a significant chunk of WS and/or T might be fitting for such an empathetic being.

I'd say he's great honestly, I do feel he would have benefited from having a slightly better movement speed than jump infantry because one of the defining things about his wings is that he absolutely rules the skies when he is flying about.

But I like him, he's cool and fits well with his portrayal for the most part. What he absolutely doesn't need is any more combat ability beyond making the silly pistol just be a pistol, both his ranged options being 1-use is a bit sad.

I'd say he's great honestly, I do feel he would have benefited from having a slightly better movement speed than jump infantry because one of the defining things about his wings is that he absolutely rules the skies when he is flying about.

But I like him, he's cool and fits well with his portrayal for the most part. What he absolutely doesn't need is any more combat ability beyond making the silly pistol just be a pistol, both his ranged options being 1-use is a bit sad.

Make the current pistol the ranged attack for the spear and lose the one use, to represent the energy blasts.

Corax also has "sky strike"; it hasn't broken the game since book 3 came out, it isn't breaking it now.

And honestly, I haven't seen a xiphon since they did the army list back two years ago and made the fire raptor clearly superior. Realistically, you need an average of three turns of movement to kill a xiphon with corax or sang and idk, it seems like a waste to chase the plane down to kill it with your movement.