Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kill Team - Elites

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
218 replies to this topic

Master Commander Ajax

Master Commander Ajax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 677 posts
  • Faction: Black Castellans

Genestealers - Kill Team core game.

Ultra-close confines Killzone - Kill Team arena.

Terminators - Kill Team Elites.

Looks like we got a Kill Team: Space Hulk expansion after all!

• Noserenda, Reyner, Battybattybats and 2 others like this

They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines so that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Humanity. They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear.

RandyB

RandyB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 356 posts

Genestealers - Kill Team core game.

Ultra-close confines Killzone - Kill Team arena.

Terminators - Kill Team Elites.

Looks like we got a Kill Team: Space Hulk expansion after all!

Finally, yes!
  • Master Commander Ajax likes this

Put the toys on the table and throw the dice. Everything else is just noise.

...Unless you're just in this for the modeling. In which case, show your work. Yours likely looks better than mine, anyway.

Antarius

Antarius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 993 posts

I'm not sure how to feel about this tbh. On the one hand, it's nice to have options. OTOH, I'm kinda concerned about Kill Team morphing into a bloated mess of a game. Oh well, noone's forcing me to use all the options, but still...

• Tordeck likes this

"The Bolter is the truth. It is the gift given to us by the Emperor for our valour. With it we are whole. Without it we are diminished." - Book of Aphael, verse 42.

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,801 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Commanders and arena are self contained expansions with separate missions etc. I would be very surprised if elites was integrated into the core KT  game. 

• Antarius likes this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Disruptor_fe404

Disruptor_fe404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,597 posts
  • Faction: Sentinels
The playtesters have said that Elites is literally more options for Core (and for Commanders, but they also said they don't consider Commanders a completely balanced game mode).

The Sentinels
Chapter Command ([1]), Throne Company, Grail Company ([1], [2], [3]), Lance Company, Sword Company ([1], [2]), Dagger Company, Shield Company, Sigil Company, Tome Company, Storm Company, Shadow Company.

Current projects: Lance Company - Land Speeder TYPHOOOOOOON

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,801 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

The playtesters have said that Elites is literally more options for Core (and for Commanders, but they also said they don't consider Commanders a completely balanced game mode).

I see that "options" as just that options, self contained like arena and commanders. Would be a good idea to keep that line of development. 

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Disruptor_fe404

Disruptor_fe404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,597 posts
Pretty sure they're 'options' in the sense that Tacticals and Scouts are options for an Astartes kill team. Basically, expect to see the non-Commanders in Core games.

The Sentinels
Chapter Command ([1]), Throne Company, Grail Company ([1], [2], [3]), Lance Company, Sword Company ([1], [2]), Dagger Company, Shield Company, Sigil Company, Tome Company, Storm Company, Shadow Company.

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,955 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
So just set the limit as "playing a core Kill Team game only, no expansions" and roll dem bones...
  • Canadian_F_H likes this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Kinstryfe

Kinstryfe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,301 posts
  • Faction: So many Imperials...
Elites are going to be "optional" for kill team like Space Marine Vanguard are going to be "optional" for 40k because, after all, they're not part of the original Codex, right? Which is to say that unless you can get people in your area to all agree to not use those units, people are going to want to use them, and everyone will just have to decide for themselves whether they want to play the game or not...
  • Disruptor_fe404 likes this
gallery_26_4045_659.png

I am a filthy ETL oathbreaker. I acknowledge my failing and will be sure to correct it.

My Lamenters and Harlequins

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,955 posts
Why do y'all always say things like "you have to convince people in your area..." like the game takes place between more than you and the person you are setting it up with before you start playing?

Is there some bizarre rule where y'all play that the store owners or folks other than you and your opponent get to set up the details of y'all's games?
  • Slave to Darkness, Doctor Perils and El_Dicko like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Kinstryfe

Kinstryfe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,301 posts
  • Faction: So many Imperials...

Why do y'all always say things like "you have to convince people in your area..." like the game takes place between more than you and the person you are setting it up with before you start playing?
Is there some bizarre rule where y'all play that the store owners or folks other than you and your opponent get to set up the details of y'all's games?

I guess it's because I speak from my experience, which is a group of players rather than just myself and one other, and with any game (not just kill team) a "meta" tends to evolve including it's own etiquette, styles of play, and so on. In my kill team group at least if one player were to say "I'm only interested in playing with the core book. No kill zones, no arena, no commanders, no elites, no tactics from the boxed kill teams, etc" they may be able to arrange some games one on one but they'd stand no chance in any of the league play or even pickup games that I've seen happen here. Campaign play, incidentally something which Kill Team was designed for from the first book, being the epitome of someone else (the organizer) dictating how you'll play. At least in the area I'm in it appears that the overwhelming majority of KT play is either happening in conjunction with a league or isn't happening on site at the stores. If you play at home or have a group of like-minded opponents to play against then obviously this isn't any sort of problem and you can pick and choose exactly what rules to acknowledge. If you're relying on open venues then it's always a very real possibility that there's an expectation to conform to the accepted norms of play.

It's really no different that saying you won't play against any 40k army that includes a super heavy, or won't play Pokemon against anyone who uses characters past the original games, or any number of other exclusionary preferences. Or for that matter it's not really any different than saying "I hate space elves and refuse to play against any Aeldari armies". It's a person's own hobby time and effort and I would certainly never tell someone that they have to play something they won't enjoy but at the same time in my experience with gaming circles the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease; it gets replaced.
gallery_26_4045_659.png

I am a filthy ETL oathbreaker. I acknowledge my failing and will be sure to correct it.

My Lamenters and Harlequins

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,955 posts
Yes, if you are playing in a league or a store/GM run campaign, then the expectation would be to use those rules decided by the league runner (store owner/employee, usually, unless it's a club run league) just like if you were to play in a tournament - and then yes, you choose to play or not - maybe find another opponent?

Pick-up games (I'm guessing that's what was really meant by "open venues - I've played pre-arranged games at open venues plenty) - well, I already detest them, they aren't anything I walk into a FLGS looking to play - you are at the whim of whatever someone else wants to play if you don't arrange beforehand.

"expectation to conform" - words I never thought I'd see in any kind of seriousness with this less-than-conforming-to-norms hobby... I guess even amongst misfits, there have to be misfits.

That doesn't mean you have to let your hobby be ruled automatically by others (unless you do like the direction taken in the 'meta'), you can help build a hobby environment you actually like. Options are options, so make it clear what you want to play and actually talk to your opponents - you may find you actually get more enjoyable games for you both that way.
  • RipOffProductions likes this

Disruptor_fe404

Disruptor_fe404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,597 posts

Yeah, I think it would be reasonable to expect the options added by Elites to show up for pick-up games once they have been released.

As mentioned, not playing against those rosters is a perfectly reasonable position to take, but I imagine that would be a position that restricts one's potential number of games/opponents at the FLGS (which, while not my venue of choice, is absolutely the venue of choice for a lot of people).

The Sentinels

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,702 posts

NZ Pre-orders are up! A few things I note:

Elites is just a softcover, no cards.

They somehow snuck a new Kill Zone in when I wasn't looking: https://www.games-wo...nctoris-EN-2019

The new Faction starters are all "Available only while stocks last."

The Death Guard one comes with "1 Environment Tactic card for using virulent infestations in your games."

• Interrogator Stobz and Slave to Darkness like this

Maschinenpriester

Maschinenpriester

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 392 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

What do you guys think of the value of the new kill zone with the statues?

I am not 100% sold on it but maybe we got too spoiled with the amazing values of  the kill zones in the past.

HandsWithLegs

HandsWithLegs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 289 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

I am not 100% sold on it but maybe we got too spoiled with the amazing values of  the kill zones in the past.

It may not be as great value as some of the earlier ones, but a lot of the cool parts are only available in larger much more expensive kits so I could see it being worth it. I'll probably get it just for that, and because I missed out on all the other killzones

gallery_48988_15465_43209.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

Maschinenpriester

Maschinenpriester

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 392 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

It may not be as great value as some of the earlier ones, but a lot of the cool parts are only available in larger much more expensive kits so I could see it being worth it. I'll probably get it just for that, and because I missed out on all the other killzones

That is right. I am thinking of getting this one maybe for the additional two statues. I like them a lot. Some more LOS blocking terrain would have been nice though in my opinion.

HandsWithLegs

HandsWithLegs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 289 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

Took a look at some of the pages shown in the Glacial Geek's review on YouTube, and I have to say I'm a little disappointed with some of the options for Dark Angels. The WHC article made me think that dark angels terminators would get access to things that deathwing knights have and possibly even the deathwing champion's halberd, but its just the plasma cannon, while the space wolves get a ton of cool wargear for their terminators. I get why Dark Angels and Space Wolves can only take normal veterans, but the limits on what they can take really kinda suck

gallery_48988_15465_43209.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,588 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion
Kill Team: Elites is now available for purchase, so this topic is closed. There is an extant topic in the Kill Team forum for those wishing to discuss the product.
  • Interrogator Stobz likes this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users