Hi Dudes and dudets

Just a silly wee topic here to get the creative juices flowing.

With the imminent release of all the new chaos goodies I've seen a lot of people declaring their allegiance for the warmaster and donning the black and gold.

So my question is what are you're plans? More specifically fluff and modelling wise? What is the background to your black legion warband and what conversions do you have ticking around in your twisted minds?

My own will not be donning the black and gold but rather the holy colours of the Sons of Horus. Devoted and fanatical in their worship of their fallen father they see abaddon as THE great betrayer even above the corpse emperor and hate him for taking away the miracle that was Horus reborn.

Deranged, dangerous and shunned by all they are an unpredictable force of nature content with butchering their way across the eye until the black legion lay broken at their boots.

I'm trying to work in somewhere that they have experimented with cloning to boost their low and falling numbers adding to their deranged nature. Perhaps even being in league with Fabius, the fall of the Monument and the cloning of Horus.

So that's my two cents. Lets here yours

Continue to be skeptical of any positive changes and stand with my policy of not having more than three of any given unit in a collection.

If possessed don't gain base 2 attacks plus random ones or get native purple prose deep strike I'm still not going to give a duck's webbed feet about them.

New terminators, if they are coming, if they don't have new weapons I don't care because terminators have always been kinda meh. Let me take them in 3 man teams again, why does chaos follow Guilliman's Guidelines?

Basically I'm in a holding pattern. I am developing my "grey loyalists Marines" where I am acquiring parts and weapons so that they can functionally play any marine faction, excepting Terminator variants because...terminators aren't good and it's hard to take them in numbers where their stats would offset their problems.

I'm waiting to see what comes out regarding Primaris, whether that's a codex or whatever, Primaris got a lot of problems. Lots of anti infantry, a reliance on plasma that's okay in this plasma safe edition but is susceptible to being screwed if the rules change (the lack of melta or flamer weapons for Hellblasters is unsettling) this may be by design, because GW wants us to buy new :cuss all the time, and as they have shown with the heldrakes and stormravens before, they are quick to "rebalance" things when it suits them.

Between all the new chaos goodness and plenty of ordered bits arriving, I'm planning to into full production with my Dreadreavers, a Black Legion warband that was founded around a Sons of Horus battle company. Their armor is gonna feature gang-runes, mirror coins, gilded skulls and wolf pelts for that cthonian vibe... oh, and topkots. Plenty of topknots.

While they do use stuff like Obliterators and Possessed, they refrain from using daemon engines due to their vastly erratic nature. The Venomcrawler looks pretty awesome though, and I've got some interest in models like the Decimator and the Maulerfiend, so I'll probaby end up building an allied detachment made up of another flavor of Heretic Astartes... the current top contenders are Iron Warriors, Red Corsairs, Crimson Slaughter and the Word Bearers.

Make a custom chapter

You should write for black library 

Continue to be skeptical of any positive changes and stand with my policy of not having more than three of any given unit in a collection.

If possessed don't gain base 2 attacks plus random ones or get native purple prose deep strike I'm still not going to give a duck's webbed feet about them.

New terminators, if they are coming, if they don't have new weapons I don't care because terminators have always been kinda meh. Let me take them in 3 man teams again, why does chaos follow Guilliman's Guidelines?

Basically I'm in a holding pattern. I am developing my "grey loyalists Marines" where I am acquiring parts and weapons so that they can functionally play any marine faction, excepting Terminator variants because...terminators aren't good and it's hard to take them in numbers where their stats would offset their problems.

I'm waiting to see what comes out regarding Primaris, whether that's a codex or whatever, Primaris got a lot of problems. Lots of anti infantry, a reliance on plasma that's okay in this plasma safe edition but is susceptible to being screwed if the rules change (the lack of melta or flamer weapons for Hellblasters is unsettling) this may be by design, because GW wants us to buy new :censored: all the time, and as they have shown with the heldrakes and stormravens before, they are quick to "rebalance" things when it suits them.

Sound like you're being very methodical and its cool to see someone more organised than me. I'm not much of a gamer or competitor. These come in a distant 4th or 5th behind collecting, modelling, painting. writing etc. 

I'm happy with the new models as i think they look awesome and cant wait to paint them and convert them up. I'm dying to see what they do with terminators. I'm ever hopeful we will get the same option as the loyalist counter parts with assault and support variants. 

Use all of the new model for my EC collection (except Abadon ofc). 

Sounds good. Still trying to work out how noise marines will fit thematically into my warband. Plague and zekers are easy. The zerkers would just be deranged mentally damaged clones who's minds haven't come through the process whole and the plague marines would be swollen with their bodies healing abilities going into overdrive, creating fresh muscle, skin and tissue even though its not damaged. 

I'm not sure what damage the clones could suffer that would require them to have the stimulus of noise marines. 

Between all the new chaos goodness and plenty of ordered bits arriving, I'm planning to into full production with my Dreadreavers, a Black Legion warband that was founded around a Sons of Horus battle company. Their armor is gonna feature gang-runes, mirror coins, gilded skulls and wolf pelts for that cthonian vibe... oh, and topkots. Plenty of topknots.

While they do use stuff like Obliterators and Possessed, they refrain from using daemon engines due to their vastly erratic nature. The Venomcrawler looks pretty awesome though, and I've got some interest in models like the Decimator and the Maulerfiend, so I'll probaby end up building an allied detachment made up of another flavor of Heretic Astartes... the current top contenders are Iron Warriors, Red Corsairs, Crimson Slaughter and the Word Bearers.

That sounds really cool. Was thinking of doing the same thing with the pelts and such. Cant wait to see what you do. 

I and my Space Marine Friend have bought a box each with us swapping the unwanted forces. so ill essentially have two Boxes on the Set  worth of chaos.

Im Hoping to the dark gods that there is gonna be some sort of Buff to CSM. Goodwin mentioned different tiers of marine,

I think it was renegades, Legionaries (i think if memory serves) and chosen.

I'm hoping that either coming in Vigilus Burns, or a future codex well see this sort of fix, Renegades being the CSM we have now Legionaries being Vets of the long war who should be able to go toe to toe with a Primaris Marine. (and in the process hopefully fix the problems with CSM id like to see more troops on tables and less cults) 

Planning these Troops being the Beginnings of My Black Legion Force. Thinking fluff wise something that ties in my Iron Warriors so i have an excuse why im proxying some Iron warrior Stuff hahaha

So provisionally thinking my Warband might Be the :

Obsidian Skulls. gives me some room to Convert and stuff too becoming more of a natural evolution than a new Warband.

Edits : Grammar etc

I and my Space Marine Friend have bought a box each with us swapping the unwanted forces. so ill essentially have two Boxes on the Set  worth of chaos.

Im Hoping to the dark gods that there is gonna be some sort of Buff to CSM. Goodwin mentioned different tiers of marine,

I think it was renegades, Legionaries (i think if memory serves) and chosen.

I'm hoping that either coming in Vigilus Burns, or a future codex well see this sort of fix, Renegades being the CSM we have now Legionaries being Vets of the long war who should be able to go toe to toe with a Primaris Marine. (and in the process hopefully fix the problems with CSM id like to see more troops on tables and less cults) 

Planning these Troops being the Beginnings of My Black Legion Force. Thinking fluff wise something that ties in my Iron Warriors so i have an excuse why im proxying some Iron warrior Stuff hahaha

So provisionally thinking my Warband might Be the :

Obsidian Skulls. gives me some room to Convert and stuff too becoming more of a natural evolution than a new Warband.

Edits : Grammar etc

Ooohh i like the idea of different tiers of marine. Could prove to be very interesting. Just need to wait and see. 

As for your warband why don't you make the leader of said warband an ex iron warrior or even warsmith? Would give you a reason to put plenty of daemon engines in your army and have an iron warrior detachment as you could say that your champion is an emissary between abaddon and the iron warriors. 

Maybe go as far to paint hazard stripes on your black legionnaires?   

I'm doing some hounds of Abaddon Daemonkin stuff with mine. I bought 4 sets of the new CSM, and one half of the shadowspear box. I plan to convert the csm into zerkers, and the autocannon and plasma boys as Havoks.

Black and gold with one red pauldron.

I've seen a good few people saying they plan on doing a hounds of abaddon force as it would give them a ready made army for the potential world eater release further down the line.  

Apart from the single red shoulder pad are you planning on adding any further iconography? I've seen people add red to their black legion before and not necessarily be hounds of abaddon. 

I'll be adding the Shadowspear stuff to my stalled Crimson Slaughter project and reworking it for Black Legion. I'll be working on this as a side project to my Death Guard

I'll probably only get one each of the new models. As I am disabled and unemployed, it'll be a slow project. I had to sell a lot to fund my Death Guard in 17/18, and I am all out of things to sell sadly... Will be a while before I can afford more

Just the red stripe down the front they are sometimes depicted as having, and plan to convert up a Threxos Hellbreed once the rest of the chaos boxes are dropped. I will also do a minor chaos cadre that serve under him, a splinter focused on KDK. My master of Possession will be a bloodpriest in my lore rather than a sorceror.

I'll be adding the Shadowspear stuff to my stalled Crimson Slaughter project and reworking it for Black Legion. I'll be working on this as a side project to my Death Guard

I'll probably only get one each of the new models. As I am disabled and unemployed, it'll be a slow project. I had to sell a lot to fund my Death Guard in 17/18, and I am all out of things to sell sadly... Will be a while before I can afford more

Sorry to hear this bud. If I had any death guard stuff lying about you would be the first to know. You might be able to pick up some of the conquest stuff relatively cheap. Even with a mark up your still saving. If you have a forbidden planet or anything like that near you give it a try.

If you get up and going with it let us know.

Just the red stripe down the front they are sometimes depicted as having, and plan to convert up a Threxos Hellbreed once the rest of the chaos boxes are dropped. I will also do a minor chaos cadre that serve under him, a splinter focused on KDK. My master of Possession will be a bloodpriest in my lore rather than a sorceror.

Sounds like a plan and I love the slaughter priest idea and thematically fits perfectly. You going to convert up a slaughter priest model? I was thinking of using the slaughter with axe as the bade for my warlord. The protruding spine an indication that whatever experiments being carried out isn't perfect or that something's gone wrong in the cloning process.

Any zerks I have I was planing on painting their hands and forearms red. As If they've been dipped in blood or something.

Edit: sorry double post

I'm actually still waiting to pull the trigger. Not because I don't like the content, but because I'm not sure what will be available in a future EC Codex. I have too many models to paint for ending up with a half assembled box I couldn't use in my chosen Legion once the Codex arrives. ^^

These new models look so good I don't really care if rules change or not. Obviously there will be new rules in Vigilus II, so maybe some redemption will be had therein.

Otherwise, the ranks of the Word Bearers will swell. I've been anticipating (like many others) this release since the Dark Vengeance era chaos minis came out. Word Bearers are my favorite legion, and I don't really care that their legion rule/stratagem are pretty weak. I got some of the WB shoulder insignia from Pop Goes the Monkey, so I'm excited to finally use those on good-looking minis.

Everything chaos in the Shadowspear box will be painted and used as-is. In the past I've done many conversions and unique miniatures, but as time goes on and the quality of sculpts improves I'm less and less inclined to do so. Less free time, for one. 

My plan has been to create the forces of Erebus. There's little enough in the background describing his personal military forces, so I feel pretty free to mess around with that. Excited to see more of the new Dark Apostle, because it should serve as a good base for him. 

CSM, havocs, terminators, dark apostle, sorcerer... I plan on getting at least 1 box of each. 

Well let's see. My plan is still to build both a word bearer and an Iron warrior force. And I'll definitly get abaddon. So I just need to figure out HOW I'll do it all up. All marines will be upscaled one way or another...

= IRON WARRIORS =

I want to make my IW look less like the current and new CSM line. As much mark 3 stuff as I can cram in. Their terminators will be cataphractii based as well. My IW oblits will be based on enslaved abominable intelligences and thus I'll start with the "ambot" chassis and work from there. Instead of cultists or renegade guard in going with abhuman auxiliaries via beastmen models etc.

= WORD BEARERS =

new CSM will fit in here nicely. IDK if I want to go the GW possession route or come up with my own idea. Lots of cultists, since i have about 25 old necromunda guys who look like cultists plus the plastic DV cultists. So good there.

= BLACK LEGION =

Well. Current plan is to keep it at just Abaddon and a 10 terminator body guard plus a Spartan assault vehicle. But I have no idea if that fits any of 8th edition's detatchments.

I'm actually still waiting to pull the trigger. Not because I don't like the content, but because I'm not sure what will be available in a future EC Codex. I have too many models to paint for ending up with a half assembled box I couldn't use in my chosen Legion once the Codex arrives. ^^

Ah a notable dilemma. Could you not do what a few of the other guys are planning on doing with their hounds of abandon? Paint and model them in a certain way that apon future releases could transition into a new force?

You could maybe do your take on the screaming masque from ADB's black legion book.

Ah a notable dilemma. Could you not do what a few of the other guys are planning on doing with their hounds of abandon? Paint and model them in a certain way that apon future releases could transition into a new force?

You could maybe do your take on the screaming masque from ADB's black legion book.

Not really. It's about the models, not the paint scheme. No matter how I paint Greater Possessed, Obliterators or the Venomcrawler I would have a hard time selling those as a different unit if it so happens that EC can't use them in their Codex. ^^

As of right now (so may change in like an hour or so :D) I'm going full Black Legion just like I did back in 1996 when I started playing.

"From shame and shadow recast.  In black and gold reborn."

My plan is to pick up the chaos half of shadowspear via eBay (as I have no use for the rest) and add them to my word bearers I also want to pick up the Blackstone fortress hostiles to convert and up-to-Date leader for my warband and may merge the Lord with the master of posesion model for that purpose. Other than that i'm waiting for the havocs kit and will be working on a unit of raptor that I've been planning and gathering parts for for a while. Between that, necromunda and house renovations that should keep me busy for a while.

Sorry to hear this bud. If I had any death guard stuff lying about you would be the first to know. You might be able to pick up some of the conquest stuff relatively cheap. Even with a mark up your still saving. If you have a forbidden planet or anything like that near you give it a try.

If you get up and going with it let us know.

I'm on the side of the Pond that doesnt have Conquest sadly...

I was originally going to add everything to my existing World Eaters army, which is made up primarily of the old berzerkers (some of them are even metal!). I've been slowly replacing these guys using forgeworld upgrades, deathwatch, and MKIII parts in order to make a World Eaters force as it might have looked at the Battle of Skalathrax. However, these newer guys look slightly too mutated/chaosy for my army, which looks more like a battered legion. Therefore I am going to build a Hounds of Abaddon warband so I can maintain my devotion to khorne while also being able to use that awesome new chaos space marines and the Abaddon model. Plus, I can easily justify my World Eaters working alongside the Hounds of Abaddon by claiming that Khârn convinced them to follow him, just like he did in The Red Path.

I'll be incorporating berzerker helmets from the old box and forgeworld. I'll probably hold off on converting more berzerkers outside of my World Eaters army until a new berzerker kit comes out.

Archived