My 'Furnace Lords' warband is all about demon engines, obliterators, forging freaky stuff....basically everything Nemendghast is about is similar to the lore I wrote for the warband ages ago.

They started as a core of Terran Iron Warriors who have always hated Perturabo and the Emperor even more over the events of the Crusade, particularly the decimation incident. They barely avoided being culled because of their eagerness to kill loyalists but broke off from the Legion right after they got to the Eye of Terror because of their contempt for Primarchs in general. They found a planet to start manufacture of all manner of nightmares and made deals (but do not worship) a minor Chaos entity of Greed (basically Hashut IN SPACE).

They switched allegiance to the Black Legion very quickly after it formed, having great respect for Abaddon putting Primarchs in their place and the whole notion of shunning the past failures and moving on with the Long War. As such, they serve him out of actual respect and not fear. They take new recruits from anyone, now, caring nothing for origins. They pay homage to the Chaos powers only as it suits their needs, and regard Cult members of the warband who are actually pledged to a deity like Berserkers as useful but not equal.

I'm planning on starting a Word Bearers army with the Shadowspear box, Additional daemon Engines my Dark Vengeance cultists and if they update the miniatures, new posessed, then I'm planning a Black Legion force of Chosen, New Terminators and the Big Boss Abaddon.

Word Bearers first though, as I'm almost done a 2000 point Deathwatch project and need a break from painting Black!

My plan is a bit old school... i want to start Black legion (with Abby) core army of troops and deamon engines etc but take at least one unit of each of the other factions

- a Thousand sons unit ,a plague marine unit,a berzerker unit (when new models come out-Fingers crossed this year) and also unfortunately an emperors children:sick: unit (the worst Chapter/army/unit type ever made in the history of GW's 40k :yucky:

A core army of black and gold with splashes of green,red,blue and whatever stupidly pinkish colour i choose as well...:tongue.:

Mithril  

Currently I have Thousand Sons and Black Legion. 

Once Vigilus 2: Chaos boogaloo is out I plan on expanding my Black Legion and quite possibly incorporating an Iron Warriors company or maybe even making that into an army of its own. All new models and kits from the havocs as well as tons of chaos marines in both lists. 

It is a bit of a "holding pattern" myself beyond 2 copies of shadowspear. Once the Vigilus rules (and new models!) are out and we know exactly whats going on I plan to expand from there. 

I don know what the heck I’m doing.

I love my Thousand Sons and admit to being a bit gutted that none of this ports over to them. I find it hard to have an attachment to any chaos Legion like I do right now with TS.

That said if anything else would do it I think it’s Black Legion. As much as I love the models I think the only rules I really am impressed with is the MoP.

That said I started painting a Landraider, 2 Rhinos, Harkken , 5 raptors, and more Cultists in Black Legion

Abaddon is a character I’ve had a live , hate relationship with for 20 years. I think ABD finally won me over in Black Legion where I really didn’t buy into Abaddon previously.

I do know I’ve got a box coming and a 90% of my friends don’t play any marines so I’m on my own for boxes.(I do play Ultra so one box will definitely get used)

I’ve been the “chaos” guy in our area for so many years. This is the only Legion I really haven’t collected or played extensively in the last 15 years.

I’m hoping for inspiration to really dive into all those models I mentioned from the upcoming releases and Vigilus too. I’m really looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

I resisted the urge to buy the upcoming box, as I probably would have started a damn loyalist force if I did. However I ordered the greater possessed and two venomcrawlers on eBay. The plan I is definitely being turned into a Helwright on Dark Abeyant, probably the left overs will get smashed with Maggoth parts into a second Nurgle Maulerfiend. I’m most excited about Havocs at this point as I’ve got more bolter boys than I’ll likely ever need thanks to the Heresey sets. Speaking of which I’ve got unassembled Termies from both that are waiting to be kitbashed with whatever fantastic newness we get.

It’s shaping up to be an awesome and expensive year!

Genuinely shocked at the response of this post. Can tell people are just as excited as me! 

For anyone doing a hounds of Abaddon post i highly recommend checking out the following pic! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=hounds+of+abaddon+assault+marine&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=OW2rYGubAPz4aM%253A%252CuivH6LplVSWTgM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRl_RyHRt3Ty0SWPXsZ3eLp2uWuKA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjj1p3kk__gAhUkVBUIHaSEDtEQ9QEwAnoECAMQBg#imgrc=OW2rYGubAPz4aM:

These new models look so good I don't really care if rules change or not. Obviously there will be new rules in Vigilus II, so maybe some redemption will be had therein.

Otherwise, the ranks of the Word Bearers will swell. I've been anticipating (like many others) this release since the Dark Vengeance era chaos minis came out. Word Bearers are my favorite legion, and I don't really care that their legion rule/stratagem are pretty weak. I got some of the WB shoulder insignia from Pop Goes the Monkey, so I'm excited to finally use those on good-looking minis.

Everything chaos in the Shadowspear box will be painted and used as-is. In the past I've done many conversions and unique miniatures, but as time goes on and the quality of sculpts improves I'm less and less inclined to do so. Less free time, for one. 

My plan has been to create the forces of Erebus. There's little enough in the background describing his personal military forces, so I feel pretty free to mess around with that. Excited to see more of the new Dark Apostle, because it should serve as a good base for him. 

CSM, havocs, terminators, dark apostle, sorcerer... I plan on getting at least 1 box of each. 

Cool idea bud. Always wondered what the relation ship between the word bearers/logar and the black legion/Abaddon was like. 

However my only question to you is do we know Erebus survived the heresy? I'm behind on my lore but i didn't think there was anything to suggest he's rocking out on the 41st millennium.

Cant wait to see what you come up with as your World eaters are class.

I was originally going to add everything to my existing World Eaters army, which is made up primarily of the old berzerkers (some of them are even metal!). I've been slowly replacing these guys using forgeworld upgrades, deathwatch, and MKIII parts in order to make a World Eaters force as it might have looked at the Battle of Skalathrax. However, these newer guys look slightly too mutated/chaosy for my army, which looks more like a battered legion. Therefore I am going to build a Hounds of Abaddon warband so I can maintain my devotion to khorne while also being able to use that awesome new chaos space marines and the Abaddon model. Plus, I can easily justify my World Eaters working alongside the Hounds of Abaddon by claiming that Khârn convinced them to follow him, just like he did in The Red Path.

I'll be incorporating berzerker helmets from the old box and forgeworld. I'll probably hold off on converting more berzerkers outside of my World Eaters army until a new berzerker kit comes out.

Nice one bud. Genuinely curious as to how many people are doing hounds of abaddon because of potential future releases if World eaters and how many just love the warband. There seems to be a good number going down this path.

I face a similar dilemma regarding the ornateness of the new models against the battered, worn look i was going for. 

I'll be adding the Shadowspear stuff to my stalled Crimson Slaughter project and reworking it for Black Legion. I'll be working on this as a side project to my Death Guard

I'll probably only get one each of the new models. As I am disabled and unemployed, it'll be a slow project. I had to sell a lot to fund my Death Guard in 17/18, and I am all out of things to sell sadly... Will be a while before I can afford more

Sorry to hear this bud. If I had any death guard stuff lying about you would be the first to know. You might be able to pick up some of the conquest stuff relatively cheap. Even with a mark up your still saving. If you have a forbidden planet or anything like that near you give it a try.

If you get up and going with it let us know.

I'm on the side of the Pond that doesnt have Conquest sadly...

Gutted. You might still get a deal searching for the stuff on Ebay. 

@the emperor is Scottish that's a great idea hazards on the weapons might be a great nod, really looking forward to getting these guys painted !

*Much excitement*

Glad to help. Cant wait to see your stuff. Think i'm going for black and white checks on mine for no other reason than i think it would look cool lol 

I'm actually still waiting to pull the trigger. Not because I don't like the content, but because I'm not sure what will be available in a future EC Codex. I have too many models to paint for ending up with a half assembled box I couldn't use in my chosen Legion once the Codex arrives. ^^

Ah a notable dilemma. Could you not do what a few of the other guys are planning on doing with their hounds of abandon? Paint and model them in a certain way that apon future releases could transition into a new force?

You could maybe do your take on the screaming masque from ADB's black legion book.

Not really. It's about the models, not the paint scheme. No matter how I paint Greater Possessed, Obliterators or the Venomcrawler I would have a hard time selling those as a different unit if it so happens that EC can't use them in their Codex. ^^

Ah that makes sense. Would love to see them releasing faction specific Emperors children Oblits with sonic blasters and the likes. Overly stretched mouths in grotesque screams, tanks full of sloshing narcotic stimulants grafted onto their mutated flesh. 

You thought about converting up a DE talos? i'm sure with the right parts it would make a suitable venom crawler and failing to make its entry into the EC codex you could use it as a hellbrute or DP. Seen some pretty cool conversions of this model for Emperors children use  

I shall be basking in the ambience of knowing I was right to take the Black and knowing that the Warmasters banner now swells with new recruits to burn the galaxy.

I’m all seriousness, I am not totally sure in what reinforcements my Black Harbingers will be getting 100% though I am getting the Shadowspear Marines and the Warmaster. For the rest it will be wait and see what comes out and takes my fancy B)

My Hands of Fate are followers of Tzeentch ( as well as a Daemon Prince with a name that may be familiar from a certain cheesy old movie). They're basically a mixed rabble of renegade loyalists that roam the galaxies following their master's insane schemes and visions.

They're getting a reboot with the model line. I'm getting Shadowspear and once we see multipart kits I'm going to try to rebuild some of my favorite units and characters. I also have some kit bashed chosen to finish that I think will still look good next to the new models. I'm also working on some cultists to give me something to paint while preparing for the next ETL.

I think I may have change my plans after seeing the release of the new special character.

I was toying round with an idea years ago about a fallen warband who were all descendants/son's of the knight's of lupus from caliban.

Determined to save the galaxy from order they set out to return it to a more natural and primordial state.

Lots of daemon engines, possessed and spawn in particular with these guys.

I already played Black Legion, and my personal warband, the Crimson Eyes, have fluff centered around a cult that purportedly worships Abaddon as a nascent god of chaos undivided, but is in truth a front for a cabal of rebel daemons, banished from the warp in ages past who plan to use Abaddon to strike against their former patrons.  The lord of the Crimson Eyes in particular is tasked with ingratiating himself to Abaddon and working his way into the warmaster's inner circle, fighting at his side wherever possible.  So a new model for Abaddon is an obvious grab for me.

Beyond that, the Crimson Eyes fluff already included a sorcerer of this cabal specialized in summoning and binding daemonic spirits against their will, in particular shredding them apart and recombining multiple daemons of opposed alignments into powerful but insane and unstable monstrosities, and a warpsmith on loan from the dark mechanicus ostensibly there to ensure contract tithes are sent back to the daemonforges in exchange for material support, but mostly there because the sorcerer's rituals provide him with ample raw materials for his own daemonotech experiments.  As such, a new, daemonology-specialized sorcerer model, new oblits and daemon engines, and a new lord level warpsmith alternative, are all also right up my warband's alley.

Beyond that, the new basic chaos marines look like how I've always wanted chaos marines to look, so I'll likely replace many of my old models, albeit slowly over time.

Hobby/purchase-wise, I'll probably split a box of shadowspear, assuming I can find a loyalist player looking to do so, and pick up both the new abaddon and the new lord discordant.  For the lord Discordant....  the character in my warband that he would represent already has a model representation in my warpsmith, complete with greenstuff head.  I'll either need to duplicate that head, or separate the head from the current warpsmith to use on the new model, or maybe magnetize/pin to alternate between them.

Or maybe I'll convert the lord discordant's mount to have a sort of howda situation that my current warpsmith conversion can just stand on?  Not sure.

Beyond that, I'll eventually slowly replace my existing CSMs and havocs, but I'm not in any particular rush to do so, as I don't play 40k all that much these days, finding AoS to be just the more enjoyable game experience of late (much to my own shock, believe me).

Otherwise, even more than the amazing new CSM stuff, I'm excited by the possibility of a new GW LatD/R&H/traitor guard type line, which seems likely in the not too distant future, given recent rogue trader and blackstone fortress releases, along with the discontinuation of much of the forgeworld R&H line.  If that happens, I'd be very interested in starting a small side army of that, both because, again, such already features heavily in my personal warband's existing backstory, and because I've always felt that the default chaos forces in 40k should look like the Lost and the Damned, large forces of mutants, feral warriors, and traitor guard, with some summoned daemonic allies and an elite core of chaos marines as the leaders in the shadows pushing them forwards.  IMO there just shouldn't be enough chaos marines in the 41st millenium for them to be the front line troops.  That's a difference I've had with GW's portrayal of chaos marines since forever, and I've come to terms with the fact that that's just not how the official fluff will play out, but at the same time it would be cool if GW put out a traitor guard faction that I could use to represent my vision of chaos in 40k regardless.

Big Thousand Sons guy myself.

When I first started building my force I initially gravitated towards maulerfiends but I backed off, that 4+ to hit just made them too unreliable for me. With the new Lord Discordant and the excellent buffing power of my sorcerers I think I'll be picking a few up for a BL detachment based around them. 

I'm thinking a 1k Sons Battalion w/Arhiman, DP, and Exalted Sorcerer on disc.

Run some rubrics and a blob of goats with shaman. 

Then another battalion of BL with Abbadon, Lord Discordant (or two!), maybe the new summoner HQ.

3 Fiends and a metric ton of cultists.

Probably two Arimigers for pew pew as well. We'll see how it all works out once points are released.

Thats my plan anyway!

Big Thousand Sons guy myself.

When I first started building my force I initially gravitated towards maulerfiends but I backed off, that 4+ to hit just made them too unreliable for me. With the new Lord Discordant and the excellent buffing power of my sorcerers I think I'll be picking a few up for a BL detachment based around them. 

I'm thinking a 1k Sons Battalion w/Arhiman, DP, and Exalted Sorcerer on disc.

Run some rubrics and a blob of goats with shaman. 

Then another battalion of BL with Abbadon, Lord Discordant (or two!), maybe the new summoner HQ.

3 Fiends and a metric ton of cultists.

Probably two Arimigers for pew pew as well. We'll see how it all works out once points are released.

Thats my plan anyway!

That is a nice plan indeed :thumbsup:  i like the dust bunnies so this looks good coupled with the BL :cool.:

Mithril

I am picking up the Chaos half of Shadowspear next week and I am still unsure what Legion/Warband I am going to paint them in. Still a toss up between Night Lords (got some Raptors to build somewhere too), Word Bearers (got the old Dark Vengeance chaos dudes in a box) and just straight up Black Legion but I'm rubbish at highlighting so the black armour could look pretty crappy. I used to collect Chaos Iron Warriors but I don't like the newer aesthetic for Iron Warriors - spiky MK3 armour works just fine for them though. 

I am also tempted by a Slaaneshi Black Legion Warband and go full Hellraiser :devil:  - I actually really like this idea with the body horror mutations and stuff. Quick someone help me find a pinhead head for my lord! 

Like these guys: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Children_of_Torment We'll tear your souls apart!

Definitely starting a Black Legion army. I said to myself that I wouldn't order the box until the end of the month, that promise lasted until the end of the week and I ordered the box.

My idea is similar to the fluff that we've been shown on the Master of Possession so far. He has his own warband and scheming behind Abaddon's back to further his own gains, except Abaddon sends in a trusted lieutenant to make sure that he keeps his word and secures a planet and creates daemon engines for him.

It'll be based around daemon engines and marines and will have a Khorne lord with Bezerkers as Abaddon's watchful eyes. My friends and I have regular narrative campaigns so I'm hoping to have them not want to help each other and leave each other to die in certain situations.

I have had a Black legion army for the last 13 years and my plan is simple, buy the new stuff and paint it back and gold :D

I do want to try out a daemon engine/ lord discordant spearhead detachment, with some Greater Posessed tagging along for aura buffs. Going to start with 1 each of Venomcrawler/ Defiler/ Maulerfiend before seeing what works best.

I might have to shelve my black legion plans in light of this new development.My Grand Battalion would relish the additions that are incoming.lord discordant, Newblitz, Havoks. So much to buy so little money haha!

Going to be starting Black Legion. I want to have at least one full strength unit of each cult space marine squad (Hounds of Abaddon, Sons of the Cyclops, Bringers of Decay, and Children of Torment) and each daemon option available just for funsies. Also, anyone noticed that Mauler/Forgefiend, Chaos Rhino, Cultists, and Chaos Space Marines are all no longer available? I wonder if the Rhino has been redesigned.

Going to be starting Black Legion. I want to have at least one full strength unit of each cult space marine squad (Hounds of Abaddon, Sons of the Cyclops, Bringers of Decay, and Children of Torment) and each daemon option available just for funsies. Also, anyone noticed that Mauler/Forgefiend, Chaos Rhino, Cultists, and Chaos Space Marines are all no longer available? I wonder if the Rhino has been redesigned.

I get the feeling the Forge/Maulerfiend is getting a new box, same with the Rhino.

I get the feeling the Forge/Maulerfiend is getting a new box, same with the Rhino.

Why would Forge-/Maulerfiends get a new box? I can't think of any plausible reason for that to happen. That being said they are still available in germany and the UK. I didn't check more locations though.

Why would Forge-/Maulerfiends get a new box? I can't think of any plausible reason for that to happen. That being said they are still available in germany and the UK. I didn't check more locations though.

Because they're still using the old box design that changed with 8th edition.

Archived