I figured, but it would be nice to see a Rhino that was more than a Loyalist Rhino with spikey bits on it. Peter/Subtle Discord over at The Dark Works is doing the dark lords work with some amazing trim kits, but they are constantly sold out :(

So, my plan with the new chaos stuff.

I'll still play alpha legion but pretty much going from the ground up.

I will have a warlord, either the lord discordant or a daemon prince, who thinks they are using chaos to fight the long war for the emperors true vision, they will lead the section of my army that will have a master of possession (or two), venom crawlers, obliterators, greater possessed. All the fun new stuff.

I'll also have a second in command, a basic chaos lord with blade of the hydra, he will lead some basic marines with autocannons and my havoc squads, on board with the use chaos to fight the long war for the emperors vision, but also they view those who meddle with daemons as foolish and are just waiting for them to die.

And, as is alpha legions want, I'll have teeming masses of cultists, operatives who are trained, but not to specialized that thier lives actually matter to the grand plan of the legion.

Going to be starting Black Legion. I want to have at least one full strength unit of each cult space marine squad (Hounds of Abaddon, Sons of the Cyclops, Bringers of Decay, and Children of Torment) and each daemon option available just for funsies. Also, anyone noticed that Mauler/Forgefiend, Chaos Rhino, Cultists, and Chaos Space Marines are all no longer available? I wonder if the Rhino has been redesigned.

I get the feeling the Forge/Maulerfiend is getting a new box, same with the Rhino.

Why would Forge-/Maulerfiends get a new box? I can't think of any plausible reason for that to happen. That being said they are still available in germany and the UK. I didn't check more locations though.

New instructions maybe?

The shooty parts will go toward my Black Legion.

The choppy parts will go toward my CC oriented Flawless Host.

I have this 20 strong Possessed unit I like to run, and they will get some great buffs from this box.  I know they aren't optimal, but I like them darn it.

The shooty parts will go toward my Black Legion.

The choppy parts will go toward my CC oriented Flawless Host.

I have this 20 strong Possessed unit I like to run, and they will get some great buffs from this box. I know they aren't optimal, but I like them darn it.

Good for you. I'm of the same mind. I don't care how they perform as long as I like the models.

These new models look so good I don't really care if rules change or not. Obviously there will be new rules in Vigilus II, so maybe some redemption will be had therein.

Otherwise, the ranks of the Word Bearers will swell. I've been anticipating (like many others) this release since the Dark Vengeance era chaos minis came out. Word Bearers are my favorite legion, and I don't really care that their legion rule/stratagem are pretty weak. I got some of the WB shoulder insignia from Pop Goes the Monkey, so I'm excited to finally use those on good-looking minis.

Everything chaos in the Shadowspear box will be painted and used as-is. In the past I've done many conversions and unique miniatures, but as time goes on and the quality of sculpts improves I'm less and less inclined to do so. Less free time, for one. 

My plan has been to create the forces of Erebus. There's little enough in the background describing his personal military forces, so I feel pretty free to mess around with that. Excited to see more of the new Dark Apostle, because it should serve as a good base for him. 

CSM, havocs, terminators, dark apostle, sorcerer... I plan on getting at least 1 box of each. 

Cool idea bud. Always wondered what the relation ship between the word bearers/logar and the black legion/Abaddon was like. 

However my only question to you is do we know Erebus survived the heresy? I'm behind on my lore but i didn't think there was anything to suggest he's rocking out on the 41st millennium.

Cant wait to see what you come up with as your World eaters are class.

Thank you, can't wait to get some crimson and silver on 'em!

As for Erebus, he survived the heresy and continues to lead the Word Bearers alongside Kor Phaeron (and maintaining a healthy backstabby rivalry), pulling the strings that dictate how the legion operates. He's been a character in a few novels and a short story or two, but they never really go into detail about how his personal forces are structured. I suppose the Word Bearers Omnibus is the most detailed account of what he's up to, but at this point it's a pretty old book. It would be cool if we knew what role (if any) he's playing in the 13th Black Crusade. The CSM codex says Lorgar may be done "meditating" and back in the flesh world, so I guess it's all up in the air.

Well, I did a thing today:

9atNxgs.jpg

A game store where I an working was selling GW for 32% off and I convinced myself to start 3 new armies. Deathguard from Dark Imperium, Word Bearers Daemonkin from the Shadowspear box and a Mantis Warriors army with all the loyalist minis.

The CSM from Shadowspear may go Black Legion, might go Word Bearers, I'm not sure yet, but as I'm just about finished a 2000 point Deathwatch project, they will be left untill last to see if I'm up for painting black again by then!

Brothers, after 15 years I will be returning to my first army.... the Black Legion.

Abaddon was my first, and only, character I had bought at the time along with a plethora of chaos space marine boxes. I bought what I thought looked cool and had no idea how to play the game.

I just acquired the Shadowspear box, and man, do these models kick ass.

I intend on bolstering my now diminished legion and bringing death to the false emperor.

I had a very tough game against Dark Eldar with the new stuff, but I have confidence.

I’m a little surprised I went this far but I ended up picking up my preorder with the data cards (which are admittedly quite nice. I hope you guys got some ).

Upon pick up I bought another box and was fortunate enough to trade the Imperium side away to net me three Chaos sets.

It did cross my mind to reap the benefits of Alpha Legion however I love the Black Legion, and have grown to really like Abaddon, especially from ADBs second effort in Black Legion.... I think he really added dimension to someone I always thought of as a one dimensional villain.

Now I feel the urge to continue expanding my Black Legion...and so it will be.

These new models look so good I don't really care if rules change or not. Obviously there will be new rules in Vigilus II, so maybe some redemption will be had therein.

Otherwise, the ranks of the Word Bearers will swell. I've been anticipating (like many others) this release since the Dark Vengeance era chaos minis came out. Word Bearers are my favorite legion, and I don't really care that their legion rule/stratagem are pretty weak. I got some of the WB shoulder insignia from Pop Goes the Monkey, so I'm excited to finally use those on good-looking minis.

Everything chaos in the Shadowspear box will be painted and used as-is. In the past I've done many conversions and unique miniatures, but as time goes on and the quality of sculpts improves I'm less and less inclined to do so. Less free time, for one.

My plan has been to create the forces of Erebus. There's little enough in the background describing his personal military forces, so I feel pretty free to mess around with that. Excited to see more of the new Dark Apostle, because it should serve as a good base for him.

CSM, havocs, terminators, dark apostle, sorcerer... I plan on getting at least 1 box of each.

Cool idea bud. Always wondered what the relation ship between the word bearers/logar and the black legion/Abaddon was like.

However my only question to you is do we know Erebus survived the heresy? I'm behind on my lore but i didn't think there was anything to suggest he's rocking out on the 41st millennium.

Cant wait to see what you come up with as your World eaters are class.

Thank you, can't wait to get some crimson and silver on 'em!

As for Erebus, he survived the heresy and continues to lead the Word Bearers alongside Kor Phaeron (and maintaining a healthy backstabby rivalry), pulling the strings that dictate how the legion operates. He's been a character in a few novels and a short story or two, but they never really go into detail about how his personal forces are structured. I suppose the Word Bearers Omnibus is the most detailed account of what he's up to, but at this point it's a pretty old book. It would be cool if we knew what role (if any) he's playing in the 13th Black Crusade. The CSM codex says Lorgar may be done "meditating" and back in the flesh world, so I guess it's all up in the air.

Nice one. Thanks for the lore update. I did have the word bearers omnibus at one point but I think after the first book I sat it down as a bit meh.

Cool erebus manages to survive the heresy and continues to be a tool in the 40k universe. I don't know why I love to hate erebus so much when I just love kor.

Maybe there will be a reckoning with Khârn yet.

I'm extremely jealous of anyone that has the new stuff already as I know it will be ages before I get my hands on one.

Hopefully give me time to decide what I want to do with them as I change my mind hour by hour. I think I wont know till I have them.

Well. Struck a deal with a buddy. Looks like I'm getting the chaos half of Shadows Pear.

100% letting go of the oblits tho. I have my own plans to build some and the new ones just aren't what I'm looking for.

On the fence about the possessed and the big spider thing...

I continue to be blown away. Every time something from the new range is shown i have to pick my jaw up off the floor. 
I hate that it will be months before i can pick anything up but hey ho. 

I think I've decided to go straight up BL and not :cuss foot around. 
Something along the lines of a force set up specifically to target holy sites and places of worship. Tearing down the ecclesiarchy or even better corrupting it. 

I picked up shadow spear for the venom crawler and the greater possessed. Plus the slight chance I will add in the Priamris to my BT or sell them to a friend.  

I have zero plans to buy the new CSM troops kit and Terminators as of right now they are just a visual update.  To me at least the visual update is much greater on the CSM kits but the old troop kits are not bad but just boring.  Without new game play options I plan on not wasting my money on kits I own and have painted.

I'm likely going to get at least one new havoc kit as of right now. I have a lot of havoc units from my 4th & 5th ed purchases.  Depending on how useful that new weapon is will determine if I get more then one kit.  This is not looking for a gaming edge but best maximization of money so I can spend my hobby budget wisely.  

I love the Lord Discordant and I can see this working well with daemon engines in both ranged and melee builds.  With the Lord Discordant and the CA 2018 point reductions I finally feel the Forgefiend has a good place in my IW.  Daemon engines for me have never been a reliable shooting platform for the points but maybe there will be some interesting new armies with this character.  I might be getting two Lord Discordants depending on rules, points and new codex updates if you can create multiple rolls for him on the table.  

I have zero plans to buy the new CSM troops kit and Terminators as of right now they are just a visual update. To me at least the visual update is much greater on the CSM kits but the old troop kits are not bad but just boring. Without new game play options I plan on not wasting my money on kits I own and have painted.

I echo this to a degree but it's a smidge early to be so certain that's a visual update only. Who knows what's actually in those kits never mind Vigilus Ablaze I foresee a Vetrans of the adomitus crusade like detachment that will hopefully buff the CSM.

My worry GW repeatedly show chaos as being a more CC Oriented faction and give CC only buffs which isn't bad per say but it's a shooting edition, while Adeptus Astartes get rerolls aglore. But CSM are currently rubbish in cc.

Chaos Space Marines got Majorly Nerfed this editon when they no longer can take chainswords & bolters essentially meaning now that's a 10 man squad with bolters could get out done in CC by a 5 man Primaris squad. I think personally if they took away that option to have both CSM should have been compensated with an extra attack.

But as I said above it's hard to be so definitve about what's coming. All I really know for sure is that if an intercessor is 17 points for 4 points ( compared to a Chaos Space Marine) Has access to better bolters higher ap, extra attacks, more wounds so in my mind as they are now CSMs are ridiculously over costed.

Making them cheaper would fix this as an easy fix but would rather see an actual buff in the form of ability of special rules. But that's enough of my moaning about CSMs they now just look so cool I want to be able to use them hehe

Glued together my first box from Shadowspear decided to keep my forces separate. So for the time being 1 MASTER OF POSSESSION and my OBLITERATORS will be added to my Grand company. as they would both fit in with my current army with no hassle what so ever. Just means I'll probably proxy the odd model when playing Black legion still will be the Obsidian Skulls do I can at least justify it lol got the box base coated will start painting the stuff properly tonight.

I plan on getting the CSM box to net me a couple of 5 man squads to complete my battalion along with DV cultists (I sold off my old marine sculpts for a good price when I knew new sculpts were coming). That covers my troops choices and then I've got a dozen DV marines already that are all converted with weapon swaps to act as chosen. I'll probably get the havocs too when they come out as I need more heavy fire support with my Night Lords. I've never been a big fan of the Indomitus style terminator armour and have Tartaros termies at the moment which serve me well. I may also get a proper sorcerer model if they bring one out instead of using the DV Chaos Lord.

Chaos Space Marines got Majorly Nerfed this editon when they no longer can take chainswords & bolters essentially meaning now that's a 10 man squad with bolters could get out done in CC by a 5 man Primaris squad. I think personally if they took away that option to have both CSM should have been compensated with an extra attack.

But as I said above it's hard to be so definitve about what's coming. All I really know for sure is that if an intercessor is 17 points for 4 points ( compared to a Chaos Space Marine) Has access to better bolters higher ap, extra attacks, more wounds so in my mind as they are now CSMs are ridiculously over costed.

Making them cheaper would fix this as an easy fix but would rather see an actual buff in the form of ability of special rules. But that's enough of my moaning about CSMs they now just look so cool I want to be able to use them hehe

If the chainsword vs bolter thing is an issue just run chosen, 1pt more for +1 attack, +1 leadership and chainsword, bolt pistol and bolter all in one. 5 chosen with power weapons are a similar cost to 5 intercessors and would cut through them in short order if your factor in DTTFE too.

But that's enough of my moaning about CSMs they now just look so cool I want to be able to use them hehe

No offense friend but that's the attitude GW knows many chaos players have which is why they probably spent more effort on the miniatures than updating the rules. Like I said elsewhere, I think this entire rules supplement is an insult to all you Chaos Space Marine players. They are aware that the range needed an update and they might just be hoping to appease people with that. Their Facebook page is defending the focus already, encouraging Open Play and Soup to fill gaps.

Of course, I could be surprised and proven wrong and there might be more meaty content that they are going to share but if the Iron Warriors focus today is any indication then it looks like the depth is pretty lackluster so far.

I have zero plans to buy the new CSM troops kit and Terminators as of right now they are just a visual update.  To me at least the visual update is much greater on the CSM kits but the old troop kits are not bad but just boring.  Without new game play options I plan on not wasting my money on kits I own and have painted.

I guess we are two different types of players then. I'll be buying them because they look MUCH better than the old models and how well they are on the table is only a secondary consideration. ^^

But that's enough of my moaning about CSMs they now just look so cool I want to be able to use them hehe

No offense friend but that's the attitude GW knows many chaos players have which is why they probably spent more effort on the miniatures than updating the rules. Like I said elsewhere, I think this entire rules supplement is an insult to all you Chaos Space Marine players. They are aware that the range needed an update and they might just be hoping to appease people with that. Their Facebook page is defending the focus already, encouraging Open Play and Soup to fill gaps.

Of course, I could be surprised and proven wrong and there might be more meaty content that they are going to share but if the Iron Warriors focus today is any indication then it looks like the depth is pretty lackluster so far.

AMEN.  About time someone had the balls to say this.  They dropped the ball IMHO by not doing an actual update and instead just putting the FAQs and new sheets into a book, changing nothing else, slapping "II" on the cover and calling it a day.

The stuff is cool, but garbage rules are still garbage rules.  It seems way too many people are more than willing to play and lose with good models than want to have good rules...

I'll be using the ETL this year to finally get round to getting a fully painted black legion army. I've only been collecting chaos since the second ed codex.

Job one is to finish stripping these possessed so they can get an update with some blood warrior bits.

med_gallery_88567_11401_701694.png

Then I'm going to try and get my 1st vow as 8 hounds of Abbadon possessed with a master of possessed and a land raider.

After that I'll have to look towards Shadowspear models and the new Abbadon and some Termies.

The stuff is cool, but garbage rules are still garbage rules.  It seems way too many people are more than willing to play and lose with good models than want to have good rules...

Or rather we don't set our expectations too high and focus on enjoying what we get instead of raving on some internet forum about things we can't change that way. There are places to give feedback to GW. This forum isn't one of them (not saying you can't have an opinion though!). Just because we enjoy the models it doesn't mean we don't also want good rules. We know they suck. Doesn't make the models worse though.

I guess we are two different types of players then. I'll be buying them because they look MUCH better than the old models and how well they are on the table is only a secondary consideration. ^^

This is why I think of this release as a missed opportunity as you only hits part of the market.  More power to anyone that wants to replace their models on visuals alone and that is all up to you and your hobby budget.  If I was still in my mid to early 20s and not married with two kids I might have chosen to replace models just on something as simple as a visual change.  But without a game play reason to replace redundant kits I personally would take my hobby money and put in into other kits.

I played DG from 4th with the 3.5 codex and by half way through 5th I had a very large fully painted GD army with more plague marine units then I could use. The new 8th ed Plague Marine kit did something brilliant with adding new weapons to both melee and ranged. This incentivized people like myself that already own that kit to now replace them as they hold new game play aspects.  Visually I really dislike the current plague marine look of the Fat vs diseased and the cartoon mouth armor vs corruption but the game play options sold me on doing a major collection update.

As I'm part of the target market and not the only person that feels this way I was expressing my opinion why this was a ok release but a missed opportunity to capitalize on a release that happens once every 10 years or so.  

This is why I think of this release as a missed opportunity as you only hits part of the market.  More power to anyone that wants to replace their models on visuals alone and that is all up to you and your hobby budget.  If I was still in my mid to early 20s and not married with two kids I might have chosen to replace models just on something as simple as a visual change.  But without a game play reason to replace redundant kits I personally would take my hobby money and put in into other kits.

I played DG from 4th with the 3.5 codex and by half way through 5th I had a very large fully painted GD army with more plague marine units then I could use. The new 8th ed Plague Marine kit did something brilliant with adding new weapons to both melee and ranged. This incentivized people like myself that already own that kit to now replace them as they hold new game play aspects.  Visually I really dislike the current plague marine look of the Fat vs diseased and the cartoon mouth armor vs corruption but the game play options sold me on doing a major collection update.

As I'm part of the target market and not the only person that feels this way I was expressing my opinion why this was a ok release but a missed opportunity to capitalize on a release that happens once every 10 years or so.  

Yeah that's perfectly fine. Both ways are valid ways to enjoy the hobby and I guess people like you are one of the reasons why GW went with Primaris the way they are instead of just re-doing loyalists the same way as they do with chaos Marines right now. Some people just need more than better looking models to be convinced to give away their money. ^^

Archived