Kill Team: Elites - initial reactions/thoughts?

Tordeck

That didn't take long:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/11/breaking-news-from-gama/?utm_source=GamesWorkshop.com&utm_campaign=03cf37631d-GW_11th_March_Gama_Announcements_ENG&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c6e14e39d2-03cf37631d-113083737

Glad they aren't dragging on the rules release for these models.  Plus, a host of other awesome additions for KT!  Terminators, Crisis suits, Bullgryns...feels weird to see GW doing the obvious and good thing pretty consistently lately.

I absolutely would not call adding Terminators, Criss suits and fracking 3 wound 2+ save AC to Kill Team to be good.

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka
Edited title.

That's a fair point and I agree that it makes things more equal from that point of view. I'm just worried about the addition of T'au Commander suits (seen in the video) and the like.

Fan service? I'm feeling a little salty reading the comments here.  Kill Team is my main game and the more options for ways to play, the better.  Vanilla core KT isn't going away, and is conveniently in a completely different book from this expansion.  Not sure why people are wishing out loud that the game's options as a whole remains limited in its scope for everyone just because of their personal preferences.  

It's my main game, too. We just have different visions about where we want it to go which is normal.

To explain my view a little further: the main reason I'm worried about this expansion is because, given GWs history, it is unlikely it will address some of the core balance issues. I fear that it may even exacerbate some of the imbalances that I, along with others, feel are present in the game. I'd be happy to be proven wrong and I'm in no way against more options. I'd just like them to bring more options in that are fun for everyone, regardless of whether you have a more laid-back or competitive approach.

I honestly think it's not too much for us to ask from GW.

Dos I get your point, and don't expect you to play the game the way I do, naturally.  This expansion is obviously a positive development outside of competitive play because it opens up a lot more options in a casual environment, and who knows, it might even be balanced well for competitive too.  I got annoyed because your and Tordec's comments sound like you'd rather no one have those options if they're not balanced to your satisfaction.  If Elites isn't balanced for competitive play, you can always choose to bypass it just as many did with the Commanders expansion.  I certainly don't endorse complaining about Arena as a casual player.

That's a fair point: my earlier post was a bit exclusive and apologise for that as it wasn't my intention to give the impression that I feel other modes of play don't have their place in Kill Team (they do). I'll most likely bypass this expansion when playing in a pick-up game/competitive environment (which I do with Commanders) and find a more relaxed group to try out the options Elites gives us. :tu:

Well I think it's a great addition. Something like Custodes is incredibly durable but also have a very limited damage output (good damage but not exactly horde clearing) so they struggle against a mass of cheap bodies and they also cost a ton of points.

If I recall correctly a basic Custodes costs something like 50p in 40k? Assuming they cost around the same amount of points it means these rules are for non-standard games as the minimum team size is 3 models and at 150-200p you could field a TON of regular models. 10 Firewarriors and 4 Stealth Suits or something along those lines should be possible against a team of 3 Custodes and I honestly don't see how Custodes are going to win against those in an objective based match without having a hard time.

I'm actually more concerned about the Crisis Suit. Depending on the weapon options it'll cost a ton and with only BS4+ it struggles to hit targets hugging ruins, however if you can give it 3 Missile Pods that would be 6 S7 AP-1 D1d3 shots at 36" range so most of the time it at least wouldn't suffer from the long range penalty. Or a "cheap" one with tripple flamer maybe (45p in 40k)? Add some Drones for protection so it actually reaches the opponent and just drown the enemy in wounds. With M8 T5 W3 Sv3+ and FLY that would be a scary opponent to face.

Yeah, I'm worried that the Crisis Suit might ruin things a bit for non-T'au players as it appears to be (potentially) very powerful. Hopefully they implement it correctly!

I remember playing against my friend (a much more experienced player at that) back in 6th edition KT and he used some crisis suits and...they were rough.  Although they looked like a lot of fun on his end...:rolleyes:

Personally, the unit I hope is in the book Sisters of Silence.  I have a squad painted up that have never hit the table and I feel like they would be fun to run in a skirmish setting.  Maybe the Custodes faction are actually "Talons of the Emperor"?

Personally, the unit I hope is in the book Sisters of Silence.  I have a squad painted up that have never hit the table and I feel like they would be fun to run in a skirmish setting.  Maybe the Custodes faction are actually "Talons of the Emperor"?

It'd be great if Sisters of Silence were included as they fit the "kill team" theme. I do doubt they are included though as they have (until now) only a single unit in 40k whereas all the other factions (Custodes included) have multiple kits, Codecies, etc.

It could be something to suggest to the Kill Team rules team via e-mail though. Perhaps they could release a free PDF with rules for SoS?

From nothing more than firsthand assumptions based on the Warhammer Community post, this looks like it has the potential to be great fun for narrative/friendly gaming. I doubt it will be baseline for competitive (re: Arena) play, and, as with the Commander expansion, I would expect that both players would have to agree to the use of Elite units. Otherwise, regular pick up games should be status quo. So those that don't want to face Elites shouldn't have to (unless you're playing in a campaign/league/tournament where they are allowed - but that should be announced on the front end).

I can imagine rules for Space Hulk [game] style playing, where the Elite team faces a never-ending horde of "standard" Kill Team guys. I don't know that we'll get that, exactly, but I can see a number of balancing mechanisms that might be employed to keep things as fair as possible for both sides. I don't see a need to get too worked up (for good or for bad) over it until we know more about it.

I wouldn't expect any new factions (e.g., Sisters of Silence) that aren't represented in standard Warhammer 40,000 8th edition. Not yet, anyways. Those seem to be coming via "campaign" style expansions (e.g., Rogue Trader, Blackstone Fortress) and rules in White Dwarf magazine. If/when the Sisters of Silence get 8th edition WH40K rules, we might expect Kill Team rules for them.

It looks like the servant of the abyss will get those new Blackstone Fortress models, probably.

Would be nice to have Commander options that arn't overcosted like Mallex.

My comments on AC are because they are either going to cost too much to be an effective team (so why even bother) or they, being 3 wound models and how wounds work in KT, will be too good and ruin the meta. Same goes for Termies and Crisis suits.

Im loving the idea of this. Terminators will be expensive so not many will hit the table, and when your opponent fields them youll be pouring firepower on them and the crisis suit aswell.

Be interesting for the other factions will be exciting to see what they can field that they havent hinted at.

Striking Scorpions will be fun to field and ill start an Aeldari list to use them. And as for Death Watch, maybe theyll get Death Watch Terminators aswell?

Grey Knights, no idea there, ive got a 10man squad half painted to have a try at them and now elites comes out soon, maybe Terminators for them or Purifier or Purgation GK

Im just loving the fact that GW is adding more and more into Kill Team

Terminators will be expensive so not many will hit the table,

The new box art and game pic have a team of 5 Scarab Occult Terminators.

5 is not many when you compare it to other teams. Especially when we assume that this supplement as well will exceed the 100p limit for a team. ^^

So the points for including Elites maybe 200 - 300 and play like commanders in some way.

But for a 100pt game, you may see 1 Terminator and maybe 3 marines, since a Death Watch squad your getting a 5 man squad.

I'm super excited for this release. More options for all kill teams and new kill teams along with presumably new mission types just seems like more fun, plain and simple. 

Side note, I wonder how they're going to handle deep striking for terminators, and weather they're getting any extra rules like space marines in general got

Side note, I wonder how they're going to handle deep striking for terminators, and weather they're getting any extra rules like space marines in general got

There probably won't be any deep striking at all just as there is no infiltration etc.

There probably won't be any deep striking at all just as there is no infiltration etc.

Good point

I wonder if there's the possibility of terminators going back to the 3+ save on two dice. I remember seeing people talking about that old rule with how flimsy terminators are this edition. With the smaller teams and smaller numbers of shots I could see it working really well to make terminators durable and not slow the game down too much in the process