Kill Team: Elites - initial reactions/thoughts?

Tordeck

• 4 weeks later...

I’m extremely excited to find out what Mechanicus will get, and the prospect of Space Hulk conflicts via kill team is also exciting.

I'm thinking AdMech will most likely just get the Electro-Priests and the Kataphrons (granted, those are troops but they're high-level troops compared to the Skitarii).

Between the two flavors of Electro-Priests and two types of Kataphrons, that would double the non-command options for the AdMech and mirror the current options of Ranger/Vanguard Skitarii and Ruststalker/Infiltrator Sicarians.

Down the road at least, we should get rules for the Tech-Priest and Servitor from the Combat Arena game but who knows how effective those will be...

I'm hoping that one will be able to build a KT purely from the new Vanguard options - I've taken a punt and picked up a handful of Infiltrators and Eliminators for just that purpose. 

-Ran

Considering that reivers can be part of a vanguard force too you have 3 units and 3 commanders to build your Killteam with

The only problem is the limited wargear options these forces will have

I think it's to try and tide the KT community over until it releases, there is an odd doomsday mentality going on with some KT communities at the moment where they think the game is losing traction is and that GW is withdrawing their hand from it. I don't believe that at all myself.

I think it's to try and tide the KT community over until it releases, there is an odd doomsday mentality going on with some KT communities at the moment where they think the game is losing traction is and that GW is withdrawing their hand from it. I don't believe that at all myself.

Yes weird that the elites-release is so drawn-out. In my town atleast it is Kill team that players play the most out of all the GW games. I hope that it is something GW will continue invest in.

GWs management of the Kill Team product line is indecipherable. IMO, Elites should have been the next major release after the initial wave, followed by Commanders. Arena should have preceded Rogue Trader, and the latter should have been combined with Inquisitors as a Commanders' special supplement, not the "preview of Commanders and Arena" that we got.

I think their hand was forced on a couple of those due to earlier leaks, which is why the changed the release schedule. 

That's the rumor. I do not know if that rumor has been confirmed.

If they reacted to a leak by changing their product schedule (and the products themselves; IMO, Rogue Trader feels "thrown together"), then I disagree with their response. Better to leave the leaks unaddressed until the intended release dates for the relevant product.

I think it would have been better to ignore the leaks too, the hype would build itself anyway and it would still sell well. It would make players even more eager even. I think the KT community got used to thick and fast releases for various reasons and now there is a lull. At one point we were getting faction boxes, kill zones, commander boxes, rogue trader and things like this left right and centre. Now it's calmed down a bit into more spaced out releases.

I honestly believe some releases have been held back because of future plans to model lines, great example is the Heretic Astartes having no faction box or commander box. I'm absolutely convinced we're getting a new Chaos Sorceror in a KT commander box based on the rumour engine backpack picture that hasn't been solved yet even with the massive CSM release. I believe the same may be for other factions too that are boxless.

Can I share the leaked image of the ToC?

Well it's not a leak, it's officially revealed via Warhammer Community. :D

Though for the future, leaks are perfectly fine on the Bolter&Chainsword. Might want to post it in the News&Rumours section of the forum though. ;)

Edited by sfPanzer

yes, it is being released soon. i am interested in seeing how they execute the elities in kill team. maybe you can just have a kill team with just all elities?

I think you Will be able to make a KT of Just elite units

Well the GSC already can cause they already have all their elites since the base game :P

However i guess that introducing élites Will raise the points level to 200 cause in 100 points you Can fit Just 2 terminators :D

I hope the default game mode will be 100 pts, but with Elites included.
Some of the core lists have elites included, some don't. CSM for instance have rules based on an old box of CSM that isn't even in production, neither are their Cultist weapon options other than autogun or pistol. 

I mean, if Nids can field Lictors, I have a hard time imagining CSM getting access to say Possessed would ruin the game.
Eldar getting Scorps (which makes perfect sense as a KT unit) is also one of those things that should have been included from the start.

So I hope the rules are written with the intent that this is the default. Kinda like Codexes for 40k back when we only had the index lists.
Sure, you can play with the index, that's fine, but it makes little sense to refuse a game against someone who wants to use their codex.

According to a playtester out there on the interweb, Elites isn't a new mode of play like Arena or Commanders but simply an expansion on the rules and units available. They specifically said that the intent was for these units to be balanced for 100pt matched play games. In effect they're units that conceivably could or should have been in the main book and are intended to be used as such. (Though they did say that they don't personally consider Commanders to be a balanced mode of play, so results may vary there.) I think a big limiting factor as a result will end up being the point limit, and Custodes are the only faction I can see this being really weird for. So you'll be able to take a single crisis suit and a couple supporting models, or an Astartes team with 3 terminators, but you'll be at a serious tactical disadvantage in some ways. Even 200pts for Commander games may not help when some lv1 Commanders clock in at over 100pts solo.

I also think it'll be good to look at it as just a unit expansion and not put too much stock in what's a "core" unit and an "elite" unit. There's already no sense to the fact that a Lictor is in the core list but a Howling Banshee is elite, so I think in the end it's all still just regular units and Commander units.

I actually got high hopes for Elites. Adding Terminators was requested from the get-go and I am quite happy to have Custodes added in. But I admit, I was quite shocked, to not only see Custodes guardians on that list, but Allarus, too. Those seem quite nasty, way too expensive and like a final boss from a video game for the scope of Kill Team.

I also think it'll be good to look at it as just a unit expansion and not put too much stock in what's a "core" unit and an "elite" unit. There's already no sense to the fact that a Lictor is in the core list but a Howling Banshee is elite, so I think in the end it's all still just regular units and Commander units.

Wait, you are telling me that Kroot Carnivores aren't the elites and Stealth Suits just the basic guys in my T'au killteam? :teehee:

i am seeing more tactics being jammed into kill team per faction. it seems that it would start to bog down the game for those who do not play it often.

Great for tournament players as it adds something new.

i hope the elites are priced in points properly either that or limit model count to 3 max per roster.