Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WHQ Blackstone Fortress: Traitor Command & Escalation

Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,745 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate

Love the Ogryn, but the Commissar for whatever reason doesn't quite impress me in the same way. Not sure why.

For me it's the big goofy hand gripping the pistol, which is also a bit chunky for my taste.

The ogryn is totally badass, though.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

HandsWithLegs

HandsWithLegs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 289 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

I actually really like the commissar. Some of the details look a bit odd, sure, but the torso and legs look fantastic and the little oddities don't take away from that 

gallery_48988_15465_43209.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,730 posts

Beautiful models and even if GW stated they dont have traitor guard in the pipeline i hope they will do it one day or another

“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

N1SB

N1SB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,319 posts

This is great and I'm totally happy to pick this up.  Way back when Blackstone Fortress was just being previewed, we were discussing how this was an awesome platform for just experimental projects by the sculptors and this is a really cool example.

I've seen ADB say that normal 40k releases are driven by the model designers. They'll create something and the codex will be worked around that rather than vice versa.

Blackstone Fortress must be great as it'll let them work on individual models that couldn't really find a home anywhere else.Something about these guys says they are designed to look individually cool rather than being part of an army/unit I wonder if we'll see any kind of passion project models in BSF?

This is good insight, I didn't know about that.

Why we did notice, a friend and I that started with 1st ed, was even in the original Blackstone Fortress, the miniatures had some hallmarks that suggested each unit was taken on by a different person, as a passion project.  Like we were talking about the scale and I tried posting up some pictures from the Warhammer Store, and the Renegade Guardsmen looked a bit taller (they WERE a tiny bit taller side-by-side, but imho, it's also because they looked leaner), etc.  And the Rogue Trader explorer looked especially tall.

But it was the Eldar Ranger explorer in particular that caught our attention.  That looked so classic Jes Goodwin, from the pose, that we reckoned he did that one personally like a little passion project.  So this makes a lot of sense.

The Ogryn is cool. The commissar isn’t great, has a bit of a mid 90s era model look to it.

Unironically, you just sold me on this.  It DOES look very 2nd ed, like he's been stuck in the Warp for the past 6 editions.  It'll be like painting up a vintage model with a twist, that sounds like a lot of fun.

• Reclusiarch Krieg, grailkeeper and Nemerax like this

Posted Image

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,743 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé

I said it else where.... but I think* we might get something like this in CA2019 - Index Assassins & Codex: Traitor Guard  (ie like Index Renegade Knights & Beta Codex:sisters this year)

*completely baseless assumption on my part.... Its just the sort of thing I'd do 

Dyspraxic & Dyslexic  - So I might not write/explain what I think I have as clearly as intended to.... 

I'm confussed... what side of the fence am I on???

happy.png

Cyrox

Cyrox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,128 posts

Love the Ogryn, but the Commissar for whatever reason doesn't quite impress me in the same way. Not sure why.

For me it's the big goofy hand gripping the pistol, which is also a bit chunky for my taste.

He's got 'Valhalla Hands syndrome'

I'll be painting it as though he has a gloved hand :)

The Valhallan Ice Warriors have big goofy hands in their studio pics, painted in flesh tone by the 'Eavy Metal' team, at the time

Why would they have bare hands in such cold weather - all the artwork shows them with gloves

When the hands are painted to look like thick gloves it looks much better - i'll do the same with this commissar i think.

• Juggernut, N1SB and Petitioner's City like this

"I remember when Ragnar Blackmane had blond hair and this was aaaallll fields....."

gallery_60566_6038_4617.gif tn_gallery_60566_6038_42067.jpg gallery_60566_6038_1993.gif

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,794 posts

Watching the video again, I realize what my issue with the Traitor Commissar is:

His bald head made me realize, he's missing his Commissar cap. If he had one, I'm getting the feeling he'd look far, far better (in my opinion anyway).

• Exilyth likes this

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,777 posts

DSCF1047.jpg

4695164801_be106040bc_b.jpg

RenegadeEnforcers.JPG

If only these guys were still around!

• N1SB, Parweke, Ammonius and 1 other like this
Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Slan Drakkos

Slan Drakkos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 371 posts
  • Faction: III and XVIII Legions

It DOES look very 2nd ed, like he's been stuck in the Warp for the past 6 editions. 

look at how far he's fallen.
commissar.jpg
  • RolandTHTG, Cyrox, N1SB and 7 others like this

Orpheus108

Orpheus108

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 331 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard,
Im liking this expasion over the ambull expansion, the Chaos Ogryn is very cool, as for the comminsar is a little 50/50 to me, but still looking foward to painting both of them and adding them to the game.

But it does a wee but smell of a test ground for Lost and the Damned since FW isnt making them anymore, just glad i got my hands on some to add to my Death Guard army. But if they do, ill be lining up for them alk the way.
  • Ammonius likes this
15.jpg

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,745 posts

Curious if they'll get 40k rules, and for what faction. It would be nice to have some real character support for Renegades & Heretics.

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,065 posts

They're certainly get 40k rules, but like the existing BSF traitor guard they'll only be fieldable in a very narrow context. GW has made it abundantly clear that they're not using these rules to build a new faction.

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_02.jpg

N1SB

N1SB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,319 posts

It DOES look very 2nd ed, like he's been stuck in the Warp for the past 6 editions. 

look at how far he's fallen.
commissar.jpg

Brother, you just wrote the best backstory of all time.

Posted Image

Brother-serpent Tylydox

Brother-serpent Tylydox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 931 posts

They are around, if you know where to look for.

Sign my petition about Collaboration between Games Workshop and Hasbro to create My Little Pony in WH40K Universe

: https://www.ipetitio...p-and-hasbro-to

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,745 posts

They're certainly get 40k rules, but like the existing BSF traitor guard they'll only be fieldable in a very narrow context. GW has made it abundantly clear that they're not using these rules to build a new faction.

It would be for an existing faction, with Renegades & Heretics in mind. Traitor Guardsmen, on the other hand, is something new with Blackstone Fortress.

balordazul

balordazul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 769 posts

It would be for an existing faction, with Renegades & Heretics in mind. Traitor Guardsmen, on the other hand, is something new with Blackstone Fortress.

I still believe this is a step away from rebooting not a FW line but a GW one of Lost and the Damned as a blend of CSM, traitors, daemons and mutants.  They would most likely like the FW line independent as the normally done.

Lost and the Damned was super popular in my area when it was still legal to play but it could easily be on the higher scale of competitive if I remember correctly.

Exilyth

Exilyth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 478 posts
  • Faction: AM, SM, GSC

Watching the video again, I realize what my issue with the Traitor Commissar is:

His bald head made me realize, he's missing his Commissar cap. If he had one, I'm getting the feeling he'd look far, far better (in my opinion anyway).

Indeed. Here's hoping there'll be an alternative head with a big silly cap with a big silly eight pointed star in the box.

• Doctor Perils likes this

WH40k: Astra Militarum: ~2500 Pts, Space Marines: ~2500 Pts, GSC: ~1000 Pts

"Reduce, recycle, reuse - don't waste your sprues!"

OttoVonAwesome

OttoVonAwesome

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 297 posts

There so totally is a renegade list coming. Soup is pure profit.

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,006 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)

Indeed. Here's hoping there'll be an alternative head with a big silly cap with a big silly eight pointed star in the box.
That sounds somehow... unironically awesome :D
sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,778 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
Lost and the Damned getting their own Codex at the end of BSF releases would be the best news ever

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

That would be seriously awesome but I still doubt it. They already said these games allow the design team to work on models they otherwise couldn't do for main 40k and I fear the traitor guard stuff is exactly that. ermm.gif

Edited by sfPanzer, 17 March 2019 - 11:39 AM.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Plasmablasts

Plasmablasts

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 937 posts
There’s still the possibility that GW keeps an eye on the reception for these models, pondering upon whether a full release would be worth developing.

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 6,678 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

DSCF1047.jpg

4695164801_be106040bc_b.jpg

RenegadeEnforcers.JPG

They'll live forever in our hearts! wub.gif

gallery_61265_14955_68681.jpg

• DuskRaider, Vesper and Lord Marshal like this
"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,667 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
And in my bits box.
  • RedFox likes this

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

RedFox

RedFox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 811 posts
And in Chinatown.
  • totgeboren likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users