My thousand son daemon engines feels so dated now.

Wyzariel

In light of the new reveals, damn does our daemon engines feel really bad and clunky now. And ours were previously one of the better legions to field them due to flickering flame and warpflame gargoyles shenanigans etc.

Now, we can only buff one to 4++, MoP has an aura spell.

We can only prescience one. Now CSM has a +1 to hit aura + prescience. They can have a defiler moving up the board hitting on 3's...

Then again, I always suspected something like this would happen since daemon engines isn't really suppose to be a Thousand Sons thing... So can we get the restriction of one spell type cast per psychic phase lifted now to match the obvious power creep? =D

Anyway, what should I do with my 2 x defilers and 2 x maulerfiends painted in thousand sons colours? Do you guys think it is okay to run them in a generic csm detachment?

Hahaha. I tend to play with people who cares more about fluff than crunch although we also only play matches games. Very strange I know.

Can someone try to help me justify fluff wise, why does a non thousand sons army have daemon engines bearing thousand sons colours and insignias?

My Night Lord's Warpsmith Hoth would think nothing of sneaking onto your warband's Battlebarge and stealthily stealing your Daemon Engines.

-Hoth to his new pets: "OK my pretties, now Let's quietly manuever past these Rubrics."

-Daemon Engines: "Clank! Clank! Thud!"

-Hoth: "D'oh."

:)

Hahaha. I tend to play with people who cares more about fluff than crunch although we also only play matches games. Very strange I know.

Can someone try to help me justify fluff wise, why does a non thousand sons army have daemon engines bearing thousand sons colours and insignias?

Fluff excuse; The army represents the forces of a Dark Mechanicum forge that is bound to the Thousand Sons through ancient pacts and oaths. Their Dark Magi, Skitarii and Warpforged automatons bear the colors of the Legion as a token of respect, allegiance, and the superstitious hope that the colors and symbols of the Sorcerer Lords will bring them luck and power.

There’s a lot of fluff reasons. I have read so often in the novels about a Sorc taking a victim of some description and binding h8m to a daemonic engine (usually a Helbrute) just for some petty lifelong forced servitude.

On another note.... could you imagine if Thousand Sons at least get the ability to use the Malefic tree? Hey I can dream.

There’s a lot of fluff reasons. I have read so often in the novels about a Sorc taking a victim of some description and binding h8m to a daemonic engine (usually a Helbrute) just for some petty lifelong forced servitude.

On another note.... could you imagine if Thousand Sons at least get the ability to use the Malefic tree? Hey I can dream.

I want to dream too but it's obvious GW wants to make this daemonkin thingamajig unique for C:CSM.

Which brings me to another point: I think in a couple of years time, after the inevitable WE and EC codexes come out, TS will be the least special and probably weakest among all CSM factions.

I mean the only that's really unique to TS are just 4 units: Magnus, Ahriman, Exalted Sorcs and Scrab Occult Termis. Everything else is shared, sometimes even across gaming systems (Tzaangors from AoS).

I feel sad. I hope we don't end up like GK...

In light of the new reveals, damn does our daemon engines feel really bad and clunky now. And ours were previously one of the better legions to field them due to flickering flame and warpflame gargoyles shenanigans etc.

Now, we can only buff one to 4++, MoP has an aura spell.

We can only prescience one. Now CSM has a +1 to hit aura + prescience. They can have a defiler moving up the board hitting on 3's...

Then again, I always suspected something like this would happen since daemon engines isn't really suppose to be a Thousand Sons thing... So can we get the restriction of one spell type cast per psychic phase lifted now to match the obvious power creep? =D

Anyway, what should I do with my 2 x defilers and 2 x maulerfiends painted in thousand sons colours? Do you guys think it is okay to run them in a generic csm detachment?

I'd say, if you liked using them in your TSons detachment before, just keep them as TSons. One doesn't need to always have the very best unless you plan to use them on tournaments. As long as a unit doesn't suck it's fine. ;)

I want to dream too but it's obvious GW wants to make this daemonkin thingamajig unique for C:CSM.

Which brings me to another point: I think in a couple of years time, after the inevitable WE and EC codexes come out, TS will be the least special and probably weakest among all CSM factions.

I mean the only that's really unique to TS are just 4 units: Magnus, Ahriman, Exalted Sorcs and Scrab Occult Termis. Everything else is shared, sometimes even across gaming systems (Tzaangors from AoS).

I feel sad. I hope we don't end up like GK...

Sooo .... after they update all the other rules, we'll have the oldest rules? Probably right.

could you imagine if Thousand Sons at least get the ability to use the Malefic tree? Hey I can dream.

Oh lawd haff mercy, Ahriman with Possession bopping people with a -3 staff finally. 

Nah, probably not. 

I expect maybe a new stratagem for bringing rubrics back or a spell that makes a sorcerer like an Apothecary from Vigilus.

My hope is that we will I'll get some more new stuff (or at least some FW stuff ported over) not long after standard Chaos gets their stuff. Even with the overlapping options we don't really feel like a distinct faction and when generic marines have better spellcasting shenanigans than we do (the perils aura on MoP, all the new warlord traits for them, the spells) they're going to have to realize TS need more.

Maybe Vigilus will have some detachments that help us out with new strats, warlord options, relics, or spells. That plus making the Osiron a valid option would make my day.

I’m not seeing the ‘Sons’ faction to have additional options until new models arrive.

As for the OP’s question You can:

- Continue to use

- Shelve for later

- Repaint to another faction

- Sell

Given my emotional attachment to my work, they’d be shelved.

Compared to death guard, our release was pretty small. And I wonder what emperors children and world eaters will get. If they get a sizable death guard size release, then at some point we actually might get a nice mini release along with a new codex. Which isnt unreasonable to imagine if chaos marines are possible getting a new book soon.

If only people would stop suggesting soup to people who obviously want to play with only one Codex. Wouldn't that be lovely?

That being said OP already mentioned to use a non-TSons detachment, so why such a comment?

I actually think that even if chaos undivided gets options to make daemon engines better, we can still have use of our daemon engines. I regulary use both a heldrake and a maulerfiend and my opponents fear them both. Together with a strong physic phase, good shooting and other options that we have, they can still do good. In a vacuum our daemon engines looks bad but put together outside of that vacuum and on the table, then I still think they can be usefull (even if not best).

Sooo .... after they update all the other rules, we'll have the oldest rules? Probably right.

That's a wee bit reductive, and also technically false even if you were suggesting an older=>simpler implication, considering the Death Guard's codex would still be older yet would have more toys than us. (Obviously if you count by new miniatures, we'd be oldest.)

I can definitely understand his point, considering our army has so much less than a new, fully-fledged army launch. In an era where Chaos is defined by shiny new 8th edition full-army releases, we're likely to be stuck with 7th edition supplementary kits wrapped up into a Codex with AoS filler. The 7E TS kits were great, mind you, but choosing between having 90% of my army come from three kits or having my army feel like I'm somehow playing mono-codex soup is suboptimal.

I feel the pain. It seems we were the test drive army in late 7th to gauge csm cult interest so they dabbled in it. Once they saw success they went full on with future releases though we ended not getting the full treatment. While I like Tzangoors and MVB I dont use the bows or spears in my lists.

If Chaos SM gets Havocs, as it is looking, I sure hope for a Rubric version at some point, though I expect it will need an Aspiring Sorcerer as well.

I expect the EC and WE are up next though maybe we will get lucky. I appreciate the TS support in Kill Team, hoping it picks up speed and nets more collectors hopefully leading to more TS units.

I would just say that a high level sorcerer or two didn’t agree with how magus handled what happened to the legion and also were not fans of Ahriman as well. They brook from the main legion and are in a search to correct these fatal mistakes made to their legion brothers. They spent thousands of years in search for dark secrets to undue the rubricon and un dust marines. Their search can wield the secret that binding a daemon to an engine is not that far from binding a soul to a suit of armor. As they experiment with these techniques they seek to test these creations and maybe even replenish their fading numbers.

Thank you all for the awesome replies. Especially the responses containing fluff justification.

To be clear, I have no qualms going soup. The only thing that may stop be from souping up are the additional monetary costs involved in starting up another faction.

Additionally, I'm also worried that it may not be socially acceptable to field daemon engines clearly painted as Thousand Sons as non Thousand Sons (ie: as Alpha Legion).

Like, will people stone me if I do that? Will tournament organizers ban me?

Additionally, I'm also worried that it may not be socially acceptable to field daemon engines clearly painted as Thousand Sons as non Thousand Sons (ie: as Alpha Legion).

You could get into troubles on tournaments for that, yeah. In friendly games it should be fine if you explain beforehand. Just make sure not to confuse things in the middle of the game.

You could get into troubles on tournaments for that, yeah. In friendly games it should be fine if you explain beforehand. Just make sure not to confuse things in the middle of the game.

Thanks for the heads up. I will just try my best to make daemon engines work in a TS detachment I guess!

Archived