Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

War Zone Vigilus: Abaddon vs Calgar

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

Triszin

Triszin

++ MODERATI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,478 posts

https://www.warhamme...omepage-post-2/

Posted 14/03/2019

War Zone Vigilus: Abaddon vs Calgar

40kCalgarAbaddon-Mar14-Header4hed.jpg

With Vigilus Ablaze on the near horizon and the events in the escalating conflict coming to a head, we’re taking a look at the main antagonist and protagonist of the story’s climactic final chapter. What circumstances drew both Abaddon the Despoiler and Marneus Calgar – two of the 41st Millennium’s mightiest commanders – to Vigilus, and who will emerge triumphant should they meet in battle?

Abaddon the Despoiler

Warmaster of Chaos, Lord of the Black Legion

There are few more infamous beings in the galaxy than Abaddon the Despoiler. From his earliest days as First Captain of the Luna Wolves, he was renowned for his skill and ferocity in battle. Now he stands as the undisputed master of the Traitor Legions, having won the favour of the Daemon Primarchs and Chaos Gods alike. His authority is absolute and his deeds are steeped in dark legend.

40kCalgarAbaddon-Mar14-Abaddon3jc.jpg

12 times the Warmaster has led Black Crusades against the Imperium, each campaign taking a terrible toll on the systems around the Eye of Terror. The 13th Black Crusade – now known as the Fall of Cadia, after the indomitable bastion world was finally overcome – marked the Despoiler’s greatest triumph and the culmination of all of his previous efforts.

GrimDarkCornersVengrefulSpirit-Mar3-Cadi

Yet the destruction of Cadia was merely a catalyst for Abaddon’s true goal. A vast rift in reality was torn across the length of the galaxy as an intricate network of ancient pylons designed to hold the warp in check finally came undone. So was born the Cicatrix Maledictum, and half the Imperium was isolated from the guiding light of the Astronomican. Having cruelly preyed upon the vulnerable worlds of what became known as the Imperium Nihulus, Abaddon has now turned his sights on Vigilus, which stands sentinel over one of the few stable routes through the Great Rift – the Nachmund Gauntlet.

In over ten millennia of war, hundreds of worlds have fallen before the Warmaster. Why should Vigilus be any different?

Marneus Augustus Calgar

Lord Macragge, Chapter Master of the Ultramarines

For more than 300 years, Marneus Calgar has led the Ultramarines in the defence of the Imperium. During that time, he has cast down fell Daemons, slain traitors beyond count and even hurled back a Tyranid Hive Fleet from his home world – his tally of victories is quite remarkable. Though his strategic brilliance is legendary across the Imperium, he is also a warrior of great renown, having triumphed over one of Khorne’s Exalted Bloodthirsters and an Avatar of Khaine in personal combat, and even held his own against the Swarmlord at the Battle of Cold Steel Ridge.

40kCalgarAbaddon-Mar14-TerminatorCalgar1

It seems fitting that such a storied hero as Marneus Calgar was the first Space Marine to cross the Rubicon Primaris. Marneus Calgar is now stronger than ever and clad in a masterwork suit of Mk X Gravis plate known as the Armour of Heraclus. If ever there were a mortal champion that could defeat the Warmaster, it would be Marneus Calgar.

VigilusStorySoFar-Mar6-Calgar3tcs.jpg

Marneus Calgar is leading the defence of Vigilus, and marshaling its embattled forces to stand against the approaching Warmaster. Roboute Guilliman himself has declared that the sentinel world must not fall, and Marneus Calgar has sworn a mighty oath not to fail his Primarch.

Who Will Win?

Now that we’ve introduced the two rivals, let’s take a closer look at what may well give them the edge in the next chapter of the fighting on Vigilus…

Strategic Mastery

Having engineered an ingenious plan that reached fruition over ten millennia, Abaddon is the undisputed master of the long game. By contrast, Marneus Calgar is well versed in adapting to circumstances as they unfold and turning them to his advantage. Given the rapidly evolving nature of the war on Vigilus and Calgar’s current (albeit tenuous) control of the embattled world, we give the advantage to the Lord Macragge.

5ThingsLookForward-Jan1-VigilusArt1vrh.j
Fleet Assets

Naval reinforcements have been steadily trickling in-system as more and more Imperial forces joined in the defence of Vigilus, but Abaddon has arrived aboard the mighty Vengeful Spirit at the head of a huge fleet that vastly outnumbers and outclasses the Imperial flotilla. The Warmaster has the clear edge here.

40kCalgarAbaddon-Mar14-Space2ucf.jpg
Fighting Skill

Both Marneus Calgar and Abaddon have triumphed in (or at least survived!) many epic duels with powerful adversaries, so it would be difficult to pick an obvious winner. However, despite the fact that Lord Macragge is clad in potent new armour and bears the fabled Gauntlets of Ultramar, the Warmaster wields two of the deadliest weapons in existence – the Daemon blade Drach’nyen and the dreaded Talon of Horus. Were they to face each other in battle, Abaddon’s unholy wargear may just give him the edge.

40kCalgarAbaddon-Mar14-AbaddonWeapons5se

Who will win? We reckon you might have the chance to find out soon in Vigilus Ablaze… In any case, let us know your thoughts on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page.

---------------

calgars gonna get beat down badly

also bigger picture shows 2-3 rumor images from the dark apostle.

upclose!

Edited by Triszin, 14 March 2019 - 02:59 PM.

• Tylydox likes this
banana

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,478 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

It at least confirms that Calgar will be the guy to beat for Abaddon instead of Guilliman again. ^^

• Triszin likes this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

Captain_Krash

Captain_Krash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 860 posts
  • Faction: Lamenters

Is all that art new? It's neat/interesting to see Brazen Claws...along with the BFG gorgeous art.

Also it seems Guilliman isn't even there! Which is nice lore wise as he can't be on ever single planet at once.

Krash

Edited by Captain_Krash, 14 March 2019 - 03:10 PM.

Ad Victoriam

Lord Ranulf

Lord Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,765 posts

Jeez, that's a bit rough; Calgar gets a new miniature just a few months before Abaddon rips him in half.

-Ran

• Prot, Tordeck, Guzzlrr and 2 others like this

ZIbfbQY.jpg L_T_4_2019_Medal.gif

Boyadventurer

Boyadventurer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 311 posts

That's too bad, I was really getting into the idea of that Dante vs Abbadon theory that's been making the rounds

• coldfyre likes this

ETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_01_.jpggallery_45765_13882_2878.pnggallery_96397_14126_674.png

Quantum

Quantum

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 834 posts
  • Faction: Forge World Fermya

After seeing all this artwork on Calgar I suddenly realize what has been bothering me about his miniature.

In the artwork he never raises his arms unless there is something to clobber, his mere presence (in a stoic kind of way) is grand enough. But in his miniature he raises one fist high for no reason than pure showmanship, and with his back in a seemingly unnatural arc.

The Abaddon miniature has been done much better in this regard.

Edited by QuantumCollider, 14 March 2019 - 03:15 PM.

"The Nova Terra Interregnum has been remembered unfairly by those few who remember it at all. True, many malcontents, provocateurs and petty lordlings flocked to its banner when it seceded. But its attempts to contain the aggressive expansion of the Ecclesiarchy were born from an honest desire to uphold those values at the hart of the Great Crusade. It is ironic that the last gasp of the Emperor's true vision was finally throttled at the hands of those who fought in His divine name, on the planet that once reminded our Lord of 'Urf, long ago...'"
                        - Archivist & Historian Vedek Parsen, pilloried, emasculated, hung, drawn, crucified, quartered, burnt and disintegrated for heresy extremus. Probably in that order.

Captain_Krash

Captain_Krash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 860 posts
  • Faction: Lamenters

Model wise its a nice homage paying respect to his older models throughout history.

Krash

Ad Victoriam

klisof

klisof

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 632 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
The side ammo feed on the talon of Horus in that picture looks much better than the top feed on the new abaddon mini.
The top feed is the one off note on him, but should be easy to fix

CommodusXIII

CommodusXIII

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,876 posts
  • Faction: ΦΙΡΜΑΜΕΝΤΥΜ

For more than 300 years, Marneus Calgar has led the Ultramarines in the defence of the Imperium. During that time, he has cast down fell Daemons, slain traitors beyond count and even hurled back a Tyranid Hive Fleet from his home world – his tally of victories is quite remarkable. Though his strategic brilliance is legendary across the Imperium, he is also a warrior of great renown, having triumphed over one of Khorne’s Exalted Bloodthirsters and an Avatar of Khaine in personal combat, and even held his own against the Swarmlord at the Battle of Cold Steel Ridge.

First of all, who hasn't spanked an Avatar of Khaine?  They're possibly the greatest victims of being Worfed in 40K lore, only being brought into a story to show how much better someone else is by beating them.

Second, Calgar "held his own against the Swarmlord" by having all of his arms and legs ripped off.

Edited by CommodusXIII, 14 March 2019 - 03:20 PM.

• Dracos, Tordeck, Guzzlrr and 4 others like this

Personally, I think they are coming. Like a massive electrified thousand ton ball of barbed wire with hundreds of trapped and frustrated gamers embedded in it, rolling down a hill. "That, Bilbo Baggins, is the sound of inevitability."

Do not suffer your zeal for the Chapter to lead you into argument with others.

CHXaGsb.png1cuUYGd.pnglM6PBhp.pngaewF76X.pngOMdByNw.pngyxM5U2C.pngDfj1FgF.pngcrSIVmA.jpg

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,127 posts

Who wins? No one.

Who loses? all of us.

• Marshal Rohr, Marshal Loss, Leif Bearclaw and 1 other like this

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,573 posts

The best part of this article is a closer look at the Dark Apostle. He's got lil' horns.

• Noctus Cornix, Akylas, balordazul and 2 others like this

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,478 posts

First of all, who hasn't spanked an Avatar of Khaine?  They're possibly the greatest victims of being Worfed in 40K lore, only being brought into a story to show how much better someone else is by beating them.

Second, Calgar "held his own against the Swarmlord" by having all of his arms and legs ripped off.

I know right. At least Dante killed the Swarmlord on his own and only almost died but with all limbs still intact! :D

• Jarl Caldersson likes this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

Triszin

Triszin

++ MODERATI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,478 posts

Who wins? No one.

Who loses? all of us.

Our wallets

• Dracos, Greenz and Aztek like this
banana

CommodusXIII

CommodusXIII

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,876 posts
  • Faction: ΦΙΡΜΑΜΕΝΤΥΜ

Who wins? No one.

Who loses? all of us.

Our wallets

40K in a nutshell.

• Triszin, bolvar, librisrouge and 1 other like this

Personally, I think they are coming. Like a massive electrified thousand ton ball of barbed wire with hundreds of trapped and frustrated gamers embedded in it, rolling down a hill. "That, Bilbo Baggins, is the sound of inevitability."

Do not suffer your zeal for the Chapter to lead you into argument with others.

CHXaGsb.png1cuUYGd.pnglM6PBhp.pngaewF76X.pngOMdByNw.pngyxM5U2C.pngDfj1FgF.pngcrSIVmA.jpg

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,419 posts
  • Faction: Word Bearers, Adeptus Custodes

The best part of this article is a closer look at the Dark Apostle. He's got lil' horns.

I was literally going to make a post saying just that :P

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,010 posts

One stabbo from the sword and the Blue Boy is dust.

• Jarl Caldersson and sfPanzer like this

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,478 posts

One stabbo from the sword and the Blue Boy is dust.

Seriously, they try to downplay it by writing stuff like "Abaddon’s unholy wargear may just give him the edge" but it's not just some random 'unholy' gear or relic or whatever. It's pretty much THE sword beside the Emperors/Guillimans sword and the Talon has quite a history too and if we know anything then it's that superstition and history affect reality quite dramatically in 40k.

Disclaimer:

Frostglaive

Frostglaive

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 279 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Mechanicus

So Strategic Mastery, Fleets, Fighting skill and Wargear. Alright. Here's my analysis on this fight based on those 4 points:

Abaddon wins hands down.

Strategic mastery: Yes, Calgar has led the Ultramarines for 300 years. He is very capable at adapting to the circumstances and maintaining control of the battle. However, Abaddon has led the Black Legion for 10,000 years with the same kind of skill set as Calgar. As well as convincing the other Traitor Legions to work alongside him, not to mention leading and succeeding 13 Black Crusades, which brought in all the Traitor Legions, various Renegade chapters, daemons, renegades/heretics, etc.

Fleets: The Imperium fleets are trickling in. As in they are coming in piecemeal. Abaddon's entire fleet is already there. As well as the Vengeful Spirit. Set up just right, they can take down every baby fleet that comes in with the full force of their own fleet.

Fighting Skill: Calgar beat an Avatar of Khaine (who hasn't these days?) and survived against a Swarmlord (despite losing all 4 of his limbs). Abaddon has beaten Sigismund, the greatest Space Marine duelist of his time. Has fought and brought low Daemon Primarchs. Killed Space Marine captains and chapter masters. And more. And he's been doing it a lot longer than Calgar has.

Wargear: Calgar has his new Gravis armour, his Gauntlets, and received Rubicon Primaris. Abaddon has his own custom terminator armor, various blessings from all four Dark Gods, the Talon of Horus (the weapon that slain Sanguinius and brought low the Emperor), and Drach'nyen (a sword that can cut apart reality itself, a sword that the Emperor even feared, at least to some degree).

There is no close match-up, no "well, Calgar might..." No. Abaddon and Calgar go head to head, only the Warmaster is walking away from that fight alive. 

Which is exactly why GW won't allow that to happen since they refuse to ever kill off important characters in the game. With the artwork showing Blood Angels on Vigilus, my money is on Abaddon and Calgar have their duel, then Dante swoops in to save him at the last second. Takes the beatdown from Abaddon, both Chapter Masters barely manage to escape, then Dante receives Rubicon Primaris himself.

• Slayer le Boucher, Triszin, Ammonius and 5 others like this

When life tries to knock you down, fight back and fight dirty. Aim for the throat and kick it while it's down.

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 823 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé

Was going to say... I read it as setting Calgar up for the heroic /valiant fighting withdrawal whilst battered and bruised ...... leaving a burning shattered wreck of a world behind

Then because he's failed his primarch hes stuck trying to re-take Vigilus...or at least hold whats left of the Gauntlet...

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,106 posts
I think they’ll either stalemate it and they both walk away neither winner nor loser or Calgar will get swarmlorded again but survive.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,478 posts

Which is exactly why GW won't allow that to happen since they refuse to ever kill off important characters in the game. With the artwork showing Blood Angels on Vigilus, my money is on Abaddon and Calgar have their duel, then Dante swoops in to save him at the last second. Takes the beatdown from Abaddon, both Chapter Masters barely manage to escape, then Dante receives Rubicon Primaris himself.

I'd be pleased if the duel turned out that way. Fighting two big name chapter masters would be tough even for Abaddon and seriously wounding both of them while they are retreating would be a win for Abaddon in my book. However unfortunately that artwork showing the Blood Angels is an old one and not for Vigilus so we can't count on that.

• Halandaar and PaladinStormlord like this

Disclaimer:

Guzzlrr

Guzzlrr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 101 posts
  • Faction: 40k Chaos.

This thread restored my faith in 40k that article is badly trying to set up a "fair" fight when its now obvious to everyone that its not. Poor Calgar has zero chance, even when the article started with Calgar for 300 Years hahahahaha that's like 5 minutes in 40k lore.

I think they're to throw doubt in that Vigilus will perhaps survive. If Calgars got no real back up. hes in trouble, deep trouble.

The Black Fleet is in orbit, the 13th black crusade has come to Vigilus. the only thing that can save Calgar is a Eldar Webway gate hahahahaha

Edited by Guzzlrr, 14 March 2019 - 04:34 PM.

Iron Within ! Iron Without!

My WIP Check it out.

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,127 posts
Or who knows? A fleet based chapter with a Gloriana battleship, sister to the vengeful spirit? Nah makes too much sense. It will be a contrived plot involving Eldar necrons and a radical archmagus I'm sure!
  • Reclusiarch Krieg and Marshal Valkenhayn like this

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,261 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

A big 2v1 fight where Abaddon comes out on top (barely) against two major Chapter Masters would be ideal actually. It reinforces Abaddon as major player in terms of power level without killing off anybody's favourite character, and gives a lore excuse for giving Dante an upgrade. 

• Guzzlrr, Gordon Shumway, Jarl Caldersson and 1 other like this

gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_30096.jpg

Subtleknife

Subtleknife

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 299 posts
I am glad they set it up as calgar v abaddon not v guilliman which would be a bit one sided imo. I am interested to see how they proceed with this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users