Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

War Zone Vigilus: Abaddon vs Calgar

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,033 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

A big 2v1 fight where Abaddon comes out on top (barely) against two major Chapter Masters would be ideal actually. It reinforces Abaddon as major player in terms of power level without killing off anybody's favourite character, and gives a lore excuse for giving Dante an upgrade. 

I honestly like the idea so much I'm sure it won't happen like that. :D

• Triszin, Guzzlrr, FlamingDeth and 1 other like this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

PiñaColada

PiñaColada

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 802 posts

Still holding out hope that Abaddon gets to perma-death someone. Obviously won't be Calgar with his new model but maybe we get a noble sacrifce so he can escape? Mortally wounding someone only for them to be saved by the rubicon primaris isn't really all that interesting to me, it's just the same old stalemate but with extra steps

• Tyriks and Jarl Caldersson like this

Lord Ranulf

Lord Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,743 posts

The Black Fleet is in orbit, the 13th black crusade has come to Vigilus. the only thing that can save Calgar is a Eldar Webway gate hahahahaha

Or who knows? A fleet based chapter with a Gloriana battleship, sister to the vengeful spirit? Nah makes too much sense. It will be a contrived plot involving Eldar necrons and a radical archmagus I'm sure!

Anyone seen the Hrafnkel lately? 

If it were to turn up with its owner at the helm, then Vigilus quickly becomes a fair fight.

-Ran

• Guzzlrr, Jarl Caldersson and Tipsy Techpriest like this

RIMqFBL.jpg L_T_4_2019_Medal.gif ZIbfbQY.jpg

Triszin

Triszin

++ MODERATI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,353 posts

Still holding out hope that Abaddon gets to perma-death someone. Obviously won't be Calgar with his new model but maybe we get a noble sacrifce so he can escape? Mortally wounding someone only for them to be saved by the rubicon primaris isn't really all that interesting to me, it's just the same old stalemate but with extra steps

Abaddon permanently kills Caito SIcarius

The Black Fleet is in orbit, the 13th black crusade has come to Vigilus. the only thing that can save Calgar is a Eldar Webway gate hahahahaha

Or who knows? A fleet based chapter with a Gloriana battleship, sister to the vengeful spirit? Nah makes too much sense. It will be a contrived plot involving Eldar necrons and a radical archmagus I'm sure!

Anyone seen the Hrafnkel lately? 

If it were to turn up with its owner at the helm, then Vigilus quickly becomes a fair fight.

-Ran

Hrafnkel, no idea. I think it dissappeared with russ.

Edited by Triszin, 14 March 2019 - 05:01 PM.

• PiñaColada likes this
banana

Guzzlrr

Guzzlrr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 101 posts
  • Faction: 40k Chaos.

Macragge's Honor is Bobbies Flag ship. I dare say wont be too far from its master. Just the Vengeful Spirit isnt too far behind Abaddon. sure its a fleet based Chapter, however does it really beat a Fleet Based legion in its entirety?  So unless Bobby is the one to reinforce & not Dante (which i would prefer) I dont see it happening i think Bobby Vs Abby is a fight for further down the story.

Iron Within ! Iron Without!

My WIP Check it out.

redmapa

redmapa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,347 posts
  • Faction: Reclaimant Crusade

I hope Abaddon wins on Vigilus, flipping the Cadian scenario on its head and having the Imperium launch offensives to take Vigilus and leaving the dark imperium up in smoke ready to be explored further sounds much more interesting.

++NO PITY.NO REMORSE.NO FEAR++
++Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.++

++We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting
Till the end
++

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ MODERATI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,022 posts

Gutsiest move and my vote is Abbadon destroys Calgar, and they release Dreadnought Calgar on the heels of Primaris Calgar.

• Triszin, Tyriks and Boyadventurer like this

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,731 posts

I think this is setting up for a huge stalemate. Both sides need this as a gateway in or out of Terra.

IF Chaos wins, this could open an extreme moment of desperation on the Imperium's behalf the like of we have not seen since the Heresy. (Perhaps requiring a new resource on the Imperium's behalf to stop.... a new primarch.)

I don't think the Imperium wins this one. I think it's a stalemate and Calgar is being set up in all this fiction as taking a loss. Ultimately GW would not have Abaddon beat Guilliman.. .it just won't happen so the fact Guilliman isn't there makes it very plausible that Vigilus could fall, but what is the chance they let us decide? Or at least we end up telling the story of this?

First the Fall of Cadia, now the Fall of Prot's Wallet. A very rough year on finances all the way around.

• Marshal Rohr, Guzzlrr, bolvar and 2 others like this

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

micahwc

micahwc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,322 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Abaddon kills Calgar in a lore fight hands down; which means Calgar will get saved in the nick of time (hopefully by Dante). My money would be on Abaddon in a fight against Guilliman if Guilliman didn't have plot armor. Guilliman is a primarch who wasn't the best primarch at close combat and who has spent the vast majority of the last 10,000 years in a coma but is armed with the Emperor's sword. Abbadon has been fighting and planning during Guilliman's long nap; has a sword the Emperor feared a bit and is likely as dangerous as the Emperors sword; and Abbadon is likely a clone of Horus so is as close to a primarch as a mortal can be before you account for his blessings from the dark gods.

At Vigilius, Abbadon has a numerically superior and more dangerous fleet that is in an advantageous position to strike all the loyalist ships as they arrive; Calgar likely dies before making planet fall. Abbadon's forces have better communication; a better logistical chain, a generally more experienced force, and space/air superiority in the form of the Vengeful Spirit.

The Codex Astartes no doubt has guidance that covers that kind of situation - long, detailed advice that would essentially boil down to "shoot the choppy ones, chop the shooty ones".

Sonoftherubric21

Sonoftherubric21

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,864 posts

Abbadon should kick Calgars teeth in. 

By basically all metrics. 

That being said: Plot armor is strong. lol. but I still can't wait to read the lore for the fight and hopefully we get some new lore for both in this process beyond "mighty heros duel and talk smack about each others fathers!" 

• Jarl Caldersson likes this

RolandTHTG

RolandTHTG

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,561 posts

I'm wondering if Tigurius is going to be the sacrifice here. Wasn't there something in the first Vigilus book about him being badly aged guiding Calgar's expedition to the planet?

If so, we've got an older, still-finecast, model with an in-fluff reason to be weaker and looking for that final noble sacrifice. 

• Tordeck, Triszin and PiñaColada like this
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
Img_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A.gifgallery_29004_6198_5619.pngETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_03_.jpggallery_48988_15465_15162.png

sairence

sairence

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 316 posts

It is I, Cato Sicarius, greatest Swordsman in the galaxy, that will defeat thi...*splat*

I could get behind that.

Edited by sairence, 14 March 2019 - 05:52 PM.

• Tordeck, Triszin, Guzzlrr and 3 others like this
gallery_30308_9518_8251.png

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,415 posts

It is I, Cato Sicarius, greatest Swordsman in the galaxy, that will defeat thi...*splat*

I could get behind that.

I really like 'the broken but hiding it' Cato in Guy Haley's Dark Imperium books, I hope this isn't the case.

Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Spoiler

lajetee.jpg

klisof

klisof

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 625 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Macragge's Honor is Bobbies Flag ship. I dare say wont be too far from its master. Just the Vengeful Spirit isnt too far behind Abaddon. sure its a fleet based Chapter, however does it really beat a Fleet Based legion in its entirety? So unless Bobby is the one to reinforce & not Dante (which i would prefer) I dont see it happening i think Bobby Vs Abby is a fight for further down the story.

It's been confirmed the Eternal Crusader is a glorianna class :)
  • Sete likes this

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,844 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

I'm wondering if Tigurius is going to be the sacrifice here. Wasn't there something in the first Vigilus book about him being badly aged guiding Calgar's expedition to the planet?
If so, we've got an older, still-finecast, model with an in-fluff reason to be weaker and looking for that final noble sacrifice.

That would be interesting.

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

Bloodmaster

Bloodmaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

With the artwork showing Blood Angels on Vigilus...

you guys mean this artwork?!

40kAbaddon-Mar5-BlackLegionArt12uvfhjkb.

it's an old one and has nothing to do with Vigilus besides looking "cool" in the article on abbis return.

Bev'an

Bev'an

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 85 posts
Has led them for 10,000 years and hasn’t. Time doesn’t exist in a normal sense 😏 he only bested Sigismund when he was actually a 1000 and slowed down enough to be even. Strategically has it over Calgar, fleet over Calgar, weapons cover Calgar. Pretty sure Calgar will become the Dreadnought we all wanted or plot twist - unknown loyalist primarch to the rescue.. because you know.. Valrak
  • Knightsword and Bloodmaster like this

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,110 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons
No matter who wins, they can't hold it...

A genestealer cult doesn't stage an uprising for nothing...I think there is something else coming...something they'll find difficult to overcome... :P
  • betrayer41 and ThatOneMarshal like this
"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pngEcJeVZz.pnggallery_48988_13169_1292.pnggallery_48988_10069_14888.pnggallery_61265_13249_83587.png

Bloodmaster

Bloodmaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

Has led them for 10,000 years and hasn’t. Time doesn’t exist in a normal sense he only bested Sigismund when he was actually a 1000 and slowed down enough to be even. Strategically has it over Calgar, fleet over Calgar, weapons cover Calgar. Pretty sure Calgar will become the Dreadnought we all wanted or plot twist - unknown loyalist primarch to the rescue.. because you know.. Valrak

Surprise: Sanguinius to the rescue  - or even better, the lion shows up, only to beat the imperial side and huge Abbi as old (heretical) friends do

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,565 posts

unknown loyalist primarch to the rescue.. because you know.. Valrak

You know, they've been doing these reveals with jokes and memes that are popular with the online community, like Sigmar opening a chamber for everything, or the Primaris Lieutenant on Abaddon's base, so if they somehow managed to fit Valrak's Primarch fever into an actual Primarch reveal, regardless of it happening on Vigilus or not, it'd be really funny.

• Boyadventurer and Knightsword like this

Guzzlrr

Guzzlrr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 101 posts
  • Faction: 40k Chaos.

Has led them for 10,000 years and hasn’t. Time doesn’t exist in a normal sense 😏 he only bested Sigismund when he was actually a 1000 and slowed down enough to be even.

time dilation works both ways in the Eye in the books a 3 week trip for one equated to 5 years to others in the warp. Time is a concept that bearly exists in a coherent sense in the eye so while they might not have been away for as long at 10k they just as easily been away for far longer.

Edited by Guzzlrr, 14 March 2019 - 06:12 PM.

• Bryan Blaire likes this

Iron Within ! Iron Without!

My WIP Check it out.

betrayer41

betrayer41

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,760 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

No matter who wins, they can't hold it...

A genestealer cult doesn't stage an uprising for nothing...I think there is something else coming...something they'll find difficult to overcome... tongue.png

So thats where Angron comes into play!

PiñaColada

PiñaColada

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 802 posts

But wasn't the GSC uprising triggered way too early by the Ork invasion? The nid fleet might still be a long way off, no?

• sfPanzer likes this

Strazhakov

Strazhakov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 383 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion

One stabbo from the sword and the Blue Boy is dust.

Seriously, they try to downplay it by writing stuff like "Abaddon’s unholy wargear may just give him the edge" but it's not just some random 'unholy' gear or relic or whatever. It's pretty much THE sword beside the Emperors/Guillimans sword and the Talon has quite a history too and if we know anything then it's that superstition and history affect reality quite dramatically in 40k.

Just according to fluff and novels, Drach'nyen and the Talon should pretty much instagib anything they hit.

The End of Empires scared the Emperor himself and it probably has a better shot of killing him than anything else in the galaxy.

We don't need to talk about the Talon, a weapon that mortally wounded the Emperor, killed a  top tier Primarch and wasted a perfect physical clone of Horus with one mean stab.

I know they can't make his weapons too powerful for balance reasons, but I hope they redesigned Drach'nyen and use something more like the 30k stats for the Talon of Horus.

Always liked Drach'nyen in 3rd Edition(?), where you only got one strike, but when it landed you just kill whatever you hit. At least make it deal a ton of mortal wounds.

I still remain very exited about this release. It's not like I've waited close to 20 years for this happening :)

If the False Emperor will man tanks with scribes and clerks then we shall fill graves with fools and hypocrites.

Beams

Beams

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,649 posts
  • Faction: Order of Our Martyred Lady

One stabbo from the sword and the Blue Boy is dust.

Seriously, they try to downplay it by writing stuff like "Abaddon’s unholy wargear may just give him the edge" but it's not just some random 'unholy' gear or relic or whatever. It's pretty much THE sword beside the Emperors/Guillimans sword and the Talon has quite a history too and if we know anything then it's that superstition and history affect reality quite dramatically in 40k.

Just according to fluff and novels, Drach'nyen and the Talon should pretty much instagib anything they hit.
The End of Empires scared the Emperor himself and it probably has a better shot of killing him than anything else in the galaxy.
We don't need to talk about the Talon, a weapon that mortally wounded the Emperor, killed a top tier Primarch and wasted a perfect physical clone of Horus with one mean stab.

I know they can't make his weapons too powerful for balance reasons, but I hope they redesigned Drach'nyen and use something more like the 30k stats for the Talon of Horus.
Always liked Drach'nyen in 3rd Edition(?), where you only got one strike, but when it landed you just kill whatever you hit. At least make it deal a ton of mortal wounds.

I still remain very exited about this release. It's not like I've waited close to 20 years for this happening :)

I could get behind a "This weapon may only make one attack roll. If it hits, do not roll to wound. Instead, deal d6 mortal wounds"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users