Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Siege of Terra Begins

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

Captain_Krash

Captain_Krash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,115 posts
  • Faction: Lamenters

I'm here just waiting for the Horus Heresy to be over so FW/Black Library can get to the Great Scouring!!!

Krash

Edited by Captain_Krash, 17 March 2019 - 04:55 PM.

Ad Victoriam

For those we cherish, we die in glory!

gallery_45765_12339_50558.png

RobMac

RobMac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 224 posts

I am gutted.

since I was 12 years old I have been reading these books. For the following decade and a half of my life I read them avidly. Warhammer 40k and the Horus Heresy have got me through a lot. These books were my go-to reads constantly during medical school....

I was so excited to purchase the limited edition of Solar War, I absolutely love John French's books...

sadly I was working as a doctor through the terrorist attacks in Christchurch NZ and have only had about 4 hours sleep in the last few days, despite setting alarms and all the rest of it, I totally missed this book release for obvious reason....

on top of all the censored.gif of the last few days it really stings that people would scalp these books that we all know and love so much so that the rest of us couldn't purchase them. If you are reading this and that was you, think about selling that book on to a member of the community at a decent and fair price.

I certainly wouldn't consider myself in a position to speak for any other BL authors, but I do know that, personally, it leaves a bitter taste seeing things extorted elsewhere. There are some less than savoury "fans" out there, but I'm also sure they are hugely outnumbered by the decent hobbyists and readers, and I hope someone's able to help you out.

Edited by RobMac, 17 March 2019 - 06:14 PM.

• DarKnight, AfroCampbell, Kelborn and 1 other like this

lionofjudah

lionofjudah

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,070 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

Lol... sold out before it went for sale;)... guess I’ll wait for the paperback

Uhh it went on sale in America just 2 mins ago, was able to pick up a copy.
BL has Sold Out on it when I looked? Oh well, congrats man
It was on sale on the GW site.
Right on, I checked the BL site as I didn’t know the GW site had them.

Gorgoff

Gorgoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,204 posts
  • Faction: IVth Legion

I'm here just waiting for the Horus Heresy to be over so FW/Black Library can get to the Great Scouring!!!

Krash

Your spelling of "Unification Wars" is funny. ;)
  • Trevak Dal likes this
Bring back Psycho Dad!
gallery_48988_10980_12646.png

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 937 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

Scalpers are selling it on Ebay for a 200-260% mark up, not including shipping. This depresses me. 

And hats off to them. I'm always amazed that people have such scorn for mark up sellers on ebay rather than the fools who buy it at those prices, or even GW who at the end of the day are selling you a $80 book. GW are probably making a mark up similar to the one above.

Now, there is an argument to having GW limit the sales to one book, but then you will be getting those genuine problems of someone not being able to buy one for himself and his mate who can't get online etc.

Do GW care? I would hazard a guess at absolutely not. Some commercial manager in GW came in to work one morning, authorised the beginning of the sale, went for morning coffee and came back to 2,500 LE books sold 15 minutes later.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,681 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
AfroCampbell, I would reach out to John French or Black Library and explain your situation. He might not be able to get you a LE version but maybe they will ship you the hardback before general release.
  • Doctor Perils and Kelborn like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,611 posts
  • Faction: Word Bearers, Adeptus Custodes

Krash

Your spelling of "Unification Wars" is funny. msn-wink.gif

Nah, I'm with Krash. Scouring would probably be more interesting to read than Unification Wars.

"Dawn Cometh!"

Dawn Cometh – A Word Bearers Log | Noctus Cornix – My Instagram

To the Bitter End – The Badab War | NCornix – My Twitter               

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,818 posts

I wouldn't expect the Scouring to be BLs next series. The Age of Apostasy is much more likely.

mkbKIlr.png

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,611 posts

I wouldn't expect the Scouring to be BLs next series. The Age of Apostasy is much more likely.

That I would also love to read. Man, the Age of Apostasy and the Badab War are the two junctions in Imperial History I would KILL to write about. I actually have several dozen pages of notes on both for novels that I'd write for each of them if I had that precious, golden opportunity to do it.

I will never abandon my dream of writing at least one book for Black Library. I have had that same dream since I was like, 11, and I refuse to give up hope. 

Edited by Noctus Cornix, 18 March 2019 - 12:02 PM.

• Reyner, bolvar, Iron Father Ferrum and 3 others like this

"Dawn Cometh!"

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,180 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech

Scalpers are selling it on Ebay for a 200-260% mark up, not including shipping. This depresses me. 

And hats off to them. I'm always amazed that people have such scorn for mark up sellers on ebay rather than the fools who buy it at those prices, or even GW who at the end of the day are selling you a $80 book. GW are probably making a mark up similar to the one above.

Now, there is an argument to having GW limit the sales to one book, but then you will be getting those genuine problems of someone not being able to buy one for himself and his mate who can't get online etc.

Do GW care? I would hazard a guess at absolutely not. Some commercial manager in GW came in to work one morning, authorised the beginning of the sale, went for morning coffee and came back to 2,500 LE books sold 15 minutes later.

you praise scalpers but on the other hand your genuinely sad for a Mate who cant get online huh.png ...

Gee your a sweet guy... you'd fit right in to the grim dark uncaring 41st millennium ...

your right unfortunately... the fools buy it so the greedy people will always scalp em.... tut tut... dry.png 

Mithril 

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (Night Blades)
I'm sure the summaries will be up on Wikipedia or some place.

You assume some of the "private sellers" aren't GW folk.

Edited by Trevak Dal, 19 March 2019 - 03:13 AM.

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Gorgoff

Gorgoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,204 posts
  • Faction: IVth Legion

Krash

Nah, I'm with Krash. Scouring would probably be more interesting to read than Unification Wars.
If that's what your heart desires I'm cool with that, but I thing the scouring isn't very interesting.
Basically it's all about mopping up the fleeing traitors and killing all humans which choose the wrong side.
Sound pretty boring to me.
Unification on the other hand is a completely fresh setting with almost no material. Only the roughest of facts are known which allows huge creative freedom.
But we'll see.
  • Noctus Cornix and Xwingt65 like this
Bring back Psycho Dad!
gallery_48988_10980_12646.png

Quantum

Quantum

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,022 posts
  • Faction: Forge World Fermya

Doesn't anyone fear that the contents and writing of these stories can never meet the expectations people have for the climax of the Horus Heresy?

• Black Blow Fly, Bryan Blaire and Pearson73 like this

"The Nova Terra Interregnum has been remembered unfairly by those few who remember it at all. True, many malcontents, provocateurs and petty lordlings flocked to its banner when it seceded. But its attempts to contain the aggressive expansion of the Ecclesiarchy were born from an honest desire to uphold those values at the hart of the Great Crusade. It is ironic that the last gasp of the Emperor's true vision was finally throttled at the hands of those who fought in His divine name, on the planet that once reminded our Lord of 'Urf, long ago...'"
                        - Archivist & Historian Vedek Parsen, pilloried, emasculated, hung, drawn, crucified, quartered, burnt and disintegrated for heresy extremus. Probably in that order.

gallery_48988_15465_39461.pnggallery_48988_15465_5172.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

Ascanius

Ascanius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,216 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion

Only people without a sense of perspective should fear that. Don't inflate your own hopes and you won't be gutted. *shrug*

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,611 posts

Krash

If that's what your heart desires I'm cool with that, but I thing the scouring isn't very interesting.
Basically it's all about mopping up the fleeing traitors and killing all humans which choose the wrong side.
Sound pretty boring to me.
Unification on the other hand is a completely fresh setting with almost no material. Only the roughest of facts are known which allows huge creative freedom.
But we'll see.

While, in contrast, I see the Unification Wars as a creative, and potentially interesting segment of history, all the cool things that make Warhammer... well, Warhammer, are barely even present. It honestly might as well be a different setting entirely.

On the other hand, The Scouring is this incredibly grim moment of history where the traitors had victory in their grasp, only for to be snuffed away, while the Imperium emerges victorious but at the dearest cost of their only one, true leader. It's a time when both sides know that they've lost, and most of them aren't willing to give in while the remaining traitors with a backbone fight tooth an nail for every inch of ground they keep, the broken cowards flee with their entire ideal of reality showered, and the Imperium issues the slow, and monumental purge of bleeding itself to the marrow for the sake of 'victory' even though they have already failed. 

It's a far bleaker point in time, I believe, which is what I love about 40k. Hence why the Scouring is more interesting to me. 

To each their own, however.

Edited by Noctus Cornix, 19 March 2019 - 01:27 PM.

• Sandlemad, Gederas, Gorgoff and 2 others like this

"Dawn Cometh!"

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 937 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

you praise scalpers but on the other hand your genuinely sad for a Mate who cant get online huh.png ...

Gee your a sweet guy... you'd fit right in to the grim dark uncaring 41st millennium ...

your right unfortunately... the fools buy it so the greedy people will always scalp em.... tut tut... dry.png

Mithril 

I wouldn't say praise more so fairplay to people who have seen an opportunity to take an already extortionately priced product and to make some more profit for themselves out of it. The example I gave wasn't a personal anecdote, just an example of the genuine problems that could occur if GW put a limit on sales.

Bottom line is that GW put 2,500 books up for sale and they all sold. GW don't care and I bet all of those 200% mark ups on ebay have probably sold too. Fools and their money are easily parted.

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 6,678 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

Let's end the discussion on ebay scalping here and go back to talking about...

The Siege of Terra!

• Iron Father Ferrum and Sir_Gaea like this
"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,942 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)
https://www.warhamme...omepage-post-2/

It looks like they've taken the criticism on board and will only be allowing one per customer for the other limited editions
  • Excessus and Panzer like this
sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,892 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force
Chris Wraights photo in that article is amazing haha.
  • Ammonius, caladancid and Hungry Nostraman Lizard like this

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,241 posts
  • Faction: Do bookmarks count?

Thankfully!

That will increase my chances to get the White Scars' one for sure. :D

Lost Legion, the Predators                                                     Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2019   

tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg gallery_26154_15777_13780.png 

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

No Foes Remain

No Foes Remain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,200 posts
  • Faction: See signature plan

They all look menacing as hell, especially Aaron, John and Chris. Though with the amount of beloved characters Aaron has killed off his is kinda fitting...

Edit:

Hah, they even metion it in the article: "not to mention his penchant for making you love characters right before he brutally murders them, there’s no doubt Aaron will add great things to the Siege."

Edited by No Foes Remain, 20 March 2019 - 01:39 PM.

• fire golem likes this

10th Expeditionary Fleet 'Legion of Terra'    18 Legiones Astartes detachments from all active Legions; Geno One-Four-One Akkad; 13th Solar Auxiliary Cohort 'Black Scorpions'

sml_gallery_48988_16053_16940.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_4278.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

194th Company, 19th Chapter, Ultramarines Legion - 'Ultimas of War'; Halcyon Dominion's 3rd Spartii Imperialis Auxilia Regiment; Knight House Cousland

Sons of Horus 38th Company

-----

Astral Claws 5th Company; XII Tyrant's Legion

Adeptus Praetorii: Void Angels, Ultima Wardens, Crimson Saints  Adeptus Astartes Chapters

Order of the Amethyst Tower; Halcyon Dominion Militarum Forces; Knight House Cousland; Forge Fiefdom Orzarm

Void Knights Chaos Chapter

Gongsun Zan

Gongsun Zan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts

Great line up - I'm surprised that McNeil and Kyme didn't make the list, but I'm not complaining. 

I wonder who's pulling double duty - my guess it's going to be Abnett and Haley. 

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,892 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force
Haley will definitely be a double dutier with the speed he writes.

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,458 posts

They all look menacing as hell, especially Aaron, John and Chris. Though with the amount of beloved characters Aaron has killed off his is kinda fitting...

Edit:

Hah, they even metion it in the article: "not to mention his penchant for making you love characters right before he brutally murders them, there’s no doubt Aaron will add great things to the Siege."

I have never seen a man in a flannel shirt look more intimidating :lol:

• No Foes Remain likes this

Tymell

Tymell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 700 posts

Cool to see the line-up confirmed. There aren't any in there I -didn't- expect, but I am surprised to see only 6 (I was really expecting Graham McNeill to do one, even with his new job and home, since he's contributed so much to the series overall). I'm curious whether this means some will be doing two books, or whether the original "8 novels" is actually going to translate to "6 novels and 2 anthologies".

If there is some doubling up, I would guess it would be Haley and French, since they're writing the first two and are generally fast writers (Haley especially).

---------------------------
(On-going) HH project, characters, timeline points, ships - https://sites.google...ellsheresy/home

Feel free to PM in case of missing info or sudden but inevitable errors!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users