Narrative Campaign Formats

Berzul

Hey guys.

I'm trying to motivate my gaming group to do a kind of narrative around Kill Team.

I'm reading up on ideas in terms of format, and I thought I'd ask for advice here.

How would you set up the rules for a narrative campaign between 4 or more players?

• 2 weeks later...

If my experience is anything to go by, set a fixed time limit/number of games so people know what they’re getting into. Then plan how to manage things when people still don’t show up for every game.

A big part of running a successful campaign is communication. Make sure your vision broadly lines up with the other players. Are you purely story driven to the point where you’ll bend the rules because it makes sense for the narrative or will you treat rules as written? Nothing wrong with either approach. How much work are you looking to put in? It can range from telling the players their opponents and leaving them all the way up to making bespoke models, rules and maybe even writing up some fluff (or a newsletter) for your world. There are loads of great resources out there.

Dallo

Many of the concepts for running Necromunda: Underhive campaigns apply very well to Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team. There are some adaptations in terms of opposing gangs vice Imperium/Chaos/Xenos, but these adaptations aren't difficult to make. If you don't have access to the Necromunda books, you might take a look at the Arbitrator's Guidebook series of blog posts over at Warhammer Community (each is linked in the Necromunda Resources index in the Miscellaneous section).

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm planning a small narrative campaign of about 4 to 6 games with a friend. Using the Rogue Trader Killzones, the Sector Imperialis and the Sector Munitorum, so as to tell the story of a party flying into an Imperial World under siege, to clear out a path to a person of interest that needs to be evacuated off-world.

We will be adapting the rule-book scenarios for the killzones, to tell the narrative, and tie it game to game as we go along.

Let's see how it plays out!

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so far so good. We have managed to play the first scenario in which my marines got ambushed by a sabotage party of death guard. It was. Massacre, forcing me now to play a mission to jump ship, next. Maybe Ill create some reports on it!

Archived