Shadowspear surprise

TempestBlade

So I got my Shadowspear box and I was flipping through the space marine minidex and I came upon the sons of the Primarchs part. I thought this was interesting. It says a ‘Space Marine units’ is any unit with the <chapter>, ultramarines, imperial fists, salamanders, white scars, raven guard, iron hands, crimson fist, black templar, DARK ANGELS, blood angels and space wolves keywords. Now this sparked my interest because of the Vigilus part 1 space marine special detachment Indomitus Crusaders. It says to pick ‘Space Marine’ detachment. So do we now qualify for it? I remember people saying we don’t before because it’s for space marine detachments and not dark angels. Something to look at maybe. I’ll see what GW says on the books of faces.

Yeah, to bad they ruled that out already in the Errata/FAQ for Vigilus Defiant. But I'm realy looking forward to include a +1 to hit Lieutenant in my Azrael brick, or a Master with this trait to my Intercessors. :devil:

I think they might change it. Maybe. Why put it in the new mini dex then? It might be a sign that space marines get something in Vigilus part 2

You never know one can hope. not like GW hasnt flip flopped on such a topic & bound to boost sales as well.

i do have a suspicion though BA will be getting their own update soon based on nothing other than pure speculation haha

Everyone should read the Codex Adeptus Astartes Vanguard Space Marines booklet (page 15) the Shadowspear boxed set comes with. The rules there state precisely how the various non-Codex Chapters make use of ALL of the units in the set, the exception being Black Templars who have no psykers, so they cannot use the Vanguard psyker character. EVERY Chapter can use EVERY model in the set, with that one exception. One final bit: one of the Vanguard sprues is duplicated, and so you get duplicates of the kneeling sniper, one of the heavy weapon guys, and three of the basic Vanguard  squad. I wish they would stop doing that; especially in what are now quite expensive starter sets. Not a fan of the half-arsed measure. At least the Chaos models are ALL unique.

Bonus: The Codex Heretic Astartes Daemonkin booklet mentions that the Chaos models are usable by the Black Legion, Iron Warriors, Night Lords, Emperor's Children, Alpha Legion, Word Bearers, World Eaters, and generic Renegade Chapters. <Death Guard>, <Thousand Sons>, and <Fallen> are specifically EXCLUDED as options to replace the <LEGION> key word for all of these new Chaos units, which seems imminently appropriate. There are some other key points on the Chaos units in their book on p. 14-15, but enough on these Chaos scum.

One final bit: one of the Vanguard sprues is duplicated, and so you get duplicates of the kneeling sniper and one of the heavy weapon guys. I wish they would stop doing that; especially in what are now quite expensive starter sets. Not a fan of the half-arsed measure. At least the Chaos models are ALL unique.

Yeah, it would have been better for them to admit this was a Starter Box without the starter stuff/rulebook, rather than claim it was a “battle box like Forgebane, Tooth and Claw, and Wake the Dead.” Unfortunately it only fulfilled the criteria of having two armies in it, but it isn’t “like” those three in any other way. Not a fan of the second starter set costing more but without the starter accoutrements. The Chaos half is the only part I’d like to get my hands on, but even there, I can just wait for the separate kits. It’s nice that GW is self-regulating my purchases from them instead of consistently getting me to drain my account to zero on plasti-crack (I guess their formulation change was beneficial to me in that way).

+1 to hit Lieutenant?? :huh.:

A new warlord trait from shadowspear (for phobos charakters only) that allows you to give a friendly <chapter> unit +1 to Hit against a visible enemy unit instead of shooting himself.

Phobos Character only, so Phobos <CHAPTER>. Only one friendly <CHAPTER> unit within 3" of the Phobos Character with this Warlord Trait gets the benefit, and the Phobos Character must also have line-of-sight to the enemy unit being targeted.

A friend of mine said "It gets Hot" happens before the +! to hit is factored in?

In Kill Team your friend is correct as the rules specifically state on an "un-modified hit roll of 1, the bearer is slain".

In 40k however, he is wrong as the is no such specification. +'s and -'s to hit factor in to determining whether the model is slain. Hence the horror when facing Alaitoc or heavy flyer lists - your guys will be dying on 2's or worse!

That Lieutenant may be a great addition to DA plasma heavy builds! I'm always including a normal Lieutenant for the wound re-rolls, so this guy will definitely be getting a run. However, is it worth dropping Brilliant Strategist for this new trait?

You would also lose the bonus 1CP if you were running Azrael as your warlord. So dropping that and Brilliant Strategist you are losing ~3CP (plus the free Brill. Strat. re-roll) across a game. But with no deaths from overheating you would have less value out of an Ancient so could use those points elsewhere. So, some pros and cons, but both seem viable imo

Archived