How good is Typhus actually?

Zephaniah Adriyen

I've come into a free older Typhus model today, and I'm wondering how actually good he is compared to a standard Lord of Contagion. Is the Destroyer Hive plus the Psyker abilities really worth it, or is it better to go with a basic Lord of Contagion? I haven't actually used a psyker before, and I've only fought against one. I got a Helbrute at the same time, which I know is good (because Dreadnoughts are good and Helbrutes are just faster Dreadnoughts) but while I'm definitely going to paint Typhus, I don't know if he's actually good.

Typhus is great. He buffs poxwalkers. I love his profile and his psychic abilities. I still have the old Typhus model since I've played DG for many, many years now. Before Morty was put into 40k Typhus was our only guy for a long time.

Typhus is a flat 175 points whereas my current Lord of Contagion is 150. (If you look at my Death Guard list, I made a mistake and calculated with the wrong weapon.) I can spare 25 points.

Edit: After recalculating, I actually can't afford Typhus as it is. I'll do a bit of reworking.

If you got the points for the LoC wrong you might want to re-check the rest of your list as well. Just download the latest Battlescribe files and click your list together there. 99% of the time it's right and if it's not it gets adjusted quickly.

Some games he's just standing and casting to buff poxwalkers.

Some games he deepstrike and make cluch charges.

Some games the ennemy comes to him.

Typhus is not used the same way every game, but he's always usefull.

For example, in a game versus Tau, typhus buffing poxealkers is mostly irrelevant since most of their shooting is S5, he is much better used to deepstrike behind cover and make an out of LOS charge.

I think it all depends on what you want a LoC to do. I can see a deepstriking LoC going yolo into back lines to cause distress. Where you use him as a distraction. Also I would never use the LoC with pox walkers since typhus. How much of typhus value is in his combos with pox walkers? Would you take him with taking no pox walkers?

I definitely would. The Poxwalker buff is minimal, and he's a psyker, his weapon outright combines the best aspects of the Plaguereaper (flat 3 wounds damage instead of 1d3) and Manreaper (Strength +3 instead of +2), he has the Destroyer Hive which is AWESOME for close combat, and he has grenades. However, the point difference is pretty substantial.

So then the question really is how does typhus compare to a daemonprince with wings? Because I just looked at the points and I think LoC vs Typhus is unfair since they are almost identical combat level and buffs. You really only add the destroyer hive, and pysker powers and is clearer ment as a better option. Typhus really is close too daemonprince level comparison.

Two things.

1. Prince of Nurgle w/Wings is actually cheaper than Typhus, somehow.

2. I do not own a Prince of Nurgle, or of any variety, and I don't have the funds to pick one up at the moment. Not only that, but I refuse to poorhammer one into existence.

Daemon prince with wings are always 180 pt compared to typhus 175pt, you have to pay for the DP weapon choice.

Typhus and DP are very close in combat potential, typhus is actually tougher.

They are used in vastly different way, the DP is supper fast and gives RR, where typhus is a better psyker but is also really slow so once on the table he's not going anywhere.

Typhus is not worth it over a DP without Poxwalkers in your list. even though he will not be used to buff them every game, its an option I feel I need. Otherwise I would just take another DP. Against agressive Ork or genestealers lists, the buff to poxwalkers to S4 T4 (maybe S5 T5) will make a huge difference and having typhus at home is a good idea.

Its best to think of typhus as a daemon prince, but you are trading the RR1 for the pox walkers buff. 

Archived