Shadowspear CSM squad loadout

I'm just curious how many people are going to leave these guys as is, and how many people are going to convert them for a more unified loadout.

If you plan on converting their loadout, what are your plans?

Myself, I'm probably going to try and convert them all to Bolter Marines, but since I'm just returning to CSM, I don't have any Chaotic bits, so I'm going to have to hit up my local community for a few bolters and some CCW to replace the chain swords.

The marines with bolt pistol and chainswords will get boltguns, and the autocannon will be ditched in favor of another plasma gun. The champion may switch in his plasma pistol for a boltgun or combibolter.

I'm thinking leave them as is, then backfill them up into two squads with a box of the multi-parts when they turn up.

That's my plan, too. I had a bare bones cow squad mostly built way back. I think they might find new life with these better looking models.

Personally I'm gonna build two squads of bolter marines with dual plasmas, and one close combat CSM squad...because I want to. They'll never amount to anything but by the dark gods I will build them!

...and some guys with a variety of special weapons...and a squad of autocannon havocs...

Leave them as-is. It seems that with one multipart CSM kit you will be able to fill them out to 2 full squads with Special/Heavy weapons. Sure, BP&C guys aren't powerful at the moment, but they'll look great.

The only issue for me is the Autocannon guy, as I reckon a 5-man unit will to better with HB and 10-man units want dual-Specials, whilst Havocs are coming with new weapon options. Still a gorgeous model though!

What do you have planned conversion wise?

I have loads of daemon/possessed looking bits, I was just going to start slapping them in place of the regular arms from the CSM from the box, I also have plans to convert the chaos marines into a battle of the bands themed army (each squad will be based off a different band, devo, kiss, gear, and the Jackson 5) where their mutations will be musical instruments grafted into their twisted flesh, a slaanesh army obviously

I've got a single set of the Shadowspear marines assembled.  I'm going to wait on any conversions until the new codex is out, just to see if there are any new equipment options that change how I want to run them, but my current plan is to pick up one box of the new basic chaos marines and one box of the new havoks when they release, and then between the various kits I plan to put together 2x5 bolter/plasma/c.plasma squads, 1x10 bp/ccw squad w/ icon, 2x meltagun or flamer (possibly magnetized to swap between them) and champ with a power weapon (probably converting the shadowspear champ), and one squad of 5 havocs, probably all with autocannons, but that depends on what weapon options come in the new kits (hoping 1x autocannon in the CSM box and 2x autocannon in the havoc box for 4x autocannon total), and again it's possible that actually new weapon options might change my preferred havoc loadout.  If that all works out, the only conversions I should have to do are weapon swaps on the shadowspear champion and maybe kit bashing some combi plas for the bolter squad champions.  Plus maybe a leg swap between the shadowspear autocannon and a new havoc, given that their legs seem to be a bit different.

Barring some pretty significant changes to the CSM rules generally, that's probably all the power armored infantry bodies I'll ever actually want to field, apart from the dark vengeance chosen I've already got (though they still need some new weapon options converted to fit the better gear options currently available to them).  Again, though, new unit & formation options might change what new stuff I end up getting or how exactly I assemble it.

I bought two halves, the idea being so I can build two CSM squads with bolters, 2x plasma and 2x autocannons.  I plan to buy one (at least one) of the new multipart kits so I can add variety to the squads so it's not all identical guys (and to replace the guys who have Pistol+CCW).  Possibly I'll convert a guy with the old icon banner arm so I can run both squads with an Icon if I want; I will need to see how well the older kit works with the new one.

So the new box will hopefully provide me with a few guys with bolters (I also have the two from BSF who I can use), 1-2 champions (to replace the ones in Shadowspear who just have terrible loadouts) and 2 icon guys, with the heavy/special weapons left over if I buy a second box so that squad can also have doubled up weapons.

Archived