2500 - Imperial Fists - Sky Hunters

Mogsam

Evening,

I'm trying to look outside the box for my next legion and doing something unexpected. Imperial Fist armies seem to attract lots of stoic defencive forces, that often are made up of alot of breachers, so I decided they would be a good fit for doing something odd - in this case making them sky hunters.

I've never really used fliers as my group doesn't have many of them, but this is my attempt to make a unique IF army. I'm hoping for some feedback on: 1. Does this look like a good sky hunter force?

2. Would it be horrible to play against. 

3. Would it be worth dumping some fliers to get some infantry in a dreadclaw? Something that can get on those hard to keep objectives reliably. 

++  Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) ++

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Digital Lasers, Melta Bombs, Refractor Field, Solarite Power Gauntlet

Scimitar Jetbike with Heavy Bolter, Legion: Heavy Bolter

Primus Medicae: Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Refractor Field, Power Weapon: Power Axe

Scimitar Jetbike with Heavy Bolter, Legion: Heavy Bolter

+ Troops +

Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron, Legion , Compulsory: 6x Heavy Bolter, 

Additional Wargear: Melta Bombs, Additional Combat Weapons, Sarg with Bolt Pistol, Power Fist

Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron, Legion , Compulsory: 6x Heavy Bolter, 

Additional Wargear: Melta Bombs, Additional Combat Weapons, Sarg with Bolt Pistol, Power Fist

Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron, Legion , Compulsory: 5x Heavy Bolter, 

+ Fast Attack +

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron, Legion

2 x Javelin Attack Speeder, Legion: 2x Hunter-killer Missile, Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher

Land Speeder Squadron, Legion

2 x Land Speeder, Legion: 2x Hunter-killer Missile, Multi-melta

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter: 2x 2x Kraken Penetrator Heavy Missiles, Ground-tracking Auguries, Twin-linked Lascannon

+ Heavy Support +

Fire Raptor Gunship, Legion. Four wing-mounted:: Hellstrike Missiles, Two Independent Ball Turret-mounted:: Reaper Autocannon Battery

Jetbike Sky Slayer Support Squadron, 5 x Multi Meltas, Sarg with Melta Bombs

Jetbike Sky Slayer Support Squadron, 5 x Multi Meltas, Sarg with Melta Bombs

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance:    VII: Imperial Fists, Loyalist

Rite of War: Sky Hunter Phalanx

Just a few recommendations based on my initai thoughts:

Generally speaking, I don't think jetbikes are great in assault, their strength is their shooting. My recommendation would be to drop the extra CC weapons, melta bombs and power fists on the troop units and get some culverins in each unit. Same applies for melta bombs on the sky slayers.

If you want a more melee focused unit for the praetor to join, consider a command squad, they get access to power weapons and have more attacks.

I would also recommend trying to find some points for grav-guns on your landspeeders too.

The logic behind giving them combat weapons (particularly the melta bombs) is to make them a threat in combat rather than putting them into it. I've lost more than a few dreads to melta bomb units.

I thought about culverns (I am a massive fan of choom), but with Imperial Fists having BS5 with bolters of all kinds, I don't think that the volkites are better at putting out any damage. They will hurt more, but hit less than a heavy bolter would. There are ALOT of heavy bolters in this list, so anti infantry should be relatively good.

Good point about the command squad, will probably shift stuff round for it. 

Archived