Chaos World Tour 41,000: Battle of the Warbands

Greetings fellow children of the dark gods, MvT here bringing you the latest from my crazed fantasies. I've decided that my new chaos force (built from the chaos from Shadowspear) shall be slaanesh aligned, but they shall not be any more minions of the God of pleasure. No these shall be the musicians (literally) of chaos incarnate!

So to begin, I give you the theme of my crazy idea.

They will be a battle of the band's themed army where each squad will be a different band (80s rock, death metal, ect) the greater possessed will be the solo acts, the obliterators will be roadies, the daemonettes will be groupies, the venomcrawlers will be the tour bus/set pieces and the daemon prince will be the organizer/lead musician (can you say the daemon formally known as Prince?)

So far I have worked out the acts, the 4 bands will be Daemo (A Devo parody with the silly hats and everything), KILL (a KISS parody obviously), The Alpharius 5 (the Jackson 5 but they're all alpharius), and Dethklok (literally the band from the Adult Swim show, giving them the most normal heads). The solo acts I've figured out so far are Ziggy Warpdust (literally just going to paint the greater possessed in Ziggy's signature colors), an as of yet unnamed 2 headed "house musician" (the heads will be based off Daft Punk haha), and Michael Alpharius (yes, Michael Jackson, as a solo act because why not).

I'm currently uncertain as how to convert so many instruments but I got a few models to show off so here we go!

First up is the lead singer of KILL:

aynJxJO.jpg

Haven't given him a name yet but he was fun to put together

Next up is the lead guitar:

PQ98E59.jpg

Still a bit WiP here but his guitar was not super crazy to make and I think the minimalist look of it helps keep the model from looking too crazy (also makes them easier to mass produce lol)

The "Group" shot:

KiAieQx.jpg

Bit more work on them but overall I am LOVING this theme and its actually giving me something to work towards

Hopefully these guys come across as Possessed more than Noise Marines but I still have some plans to help put them further apart.

Up next will be the drummer (drums will be heads ala the end of Starwars Ep6), the keyboard/keytar, and the backup vocals.

C&C is welcome, and if anyone wants to throw me some new ideas for instruments, feel free haha.

Definitely gonna follow this. :biggrin.:

If KILL don't get absurdly long tongues I'll be disappointed though. :wink:

Also +1 for Dethklok!

If you need more guitars check these out: http://www.spellcrow.com/guitars-with-hands-p-276.html

http://www.spellcrow.com/images/Pleasure_Legions/mini/350px_GuitarsWithaHands.jpg

Edited by sfPanzer

A perfect union of metal and Chaos. It reminds me of the video game Brutal Legend with Jack Black. :)

Thanks, I'm going to be honest, JB recently playing it on his YouTube channel is what gave me the inspiration for this army, well that and the Limited Edition noise marine that was just released

To be honest I was thinking about doing something very similar with my future EC, but I decided to stick to a general heavy metal theme instead of doing battle of the bands. Even more awesome to see someone else doing it now. :P

Thanks sfPanzer, I'm glad someone else thought it was a good idea, I was surprised to have never seen it before

So after another hour or so of work I now have 2 new members:

May I present, Gene-splicer aka The Daemon:

frBQ79J.jpg

The Gene Simmons analog, will GS a tongue onto that head when I get a chance. The guitar is a few bits of plasticard & rod attached to the chaos terminator power axe.

Next is my as of yet unnamed drummer:

qc9s45d.jpg

Stuck some big meaty ork fists on the base model and it just worked. His "drums" are just heads on spikes and I think it worked great. Will probably make a "base drum" out of someone's corpse.

The two new members of the band:

t8fXyb2.jpg

The whole KILL band:

gLU87xi.jpg

Still uncertain as to what I want the last member to be, probably either backup vocals or a keytar.

As always C&C is welcome and appreciated

I had though about that but wasnt sure about the base being significantly bigger than the rest of the members, I'll pop him off the 32mm when I get home and try him out on a 40mm instead, would give me space for another pair of drums as well as the "base" drum

If you are doing several drummers, instead of trying to do everything on one model, you might want to split it up between models.  So, one might be playing heads, another torsos, another a prone corpse.  That allows you to get the idea of a full drumset across while making the individual models less busy and allowing for each model to be more distinct from each other.

If you are doing several drummers, instead of trying to do everything on one model, you might want to split it up between models. So, one might be playing heads, another torsos, another a prone corpse. That allows you to get the idea of a full drumset across while making the individual models less busy and allowing for each model to be more distinct from each other.

I had only 2 drummers planned, one for KILL and one for Dethklok, both Daemo and The Alpharius 5 lack a drummer so I wasnt too worried about repeats in stylistic freedom between the 2 drummers.

That said, making this drummer all heads and the other just the torsos sounds like it could work quite nicely, almost like 2 different kinds of drum kits!

So I put the drummer on a 40mm base instead and it worked wonders, also figured out a way to give him proper "cymbals" so now he has 3 "drums" and a pair of cymbals to really bring the rock!

2touPQm.jpg

Edited by Marshal van Trapp

Great conversions! This is so metal!

Thanks Xin! I'm loving these builds so far. I have the final Member of KILL now finished and i'm calling them done (after struggling through trying to sculpt a tongue for Gene I've given up, one of my buddies has some DE witches he says i can steal a tongue from)

KILL, the late 80's Rock Band!

4j9tqtL.jpg

And now I've finished up my greater possessed from the first box as well (for my Tempus Belli Vow)

Slaanesh Proudly presents, Alpharius Jackson, and Dr. Rockso, the rock and roll clown (he does cocaine):

p5zLSei.jpg

Alpharius Jackson, along with the Alpharius 5 will literally all be just basic Possessed style marines painted to be Alpha Legion

C&C welcome as always

So I decided to go in a slightly different direction as far as what squads I'm making (after seeing the NEW red corsairs rules I'm going to be running some regular CSM squads) so may I now introduce the first two Marines of Daemo:

2i65xOJ.jpg

The Champion just a few swapped parts

XFSmNXo.jpg

The second member ready to CRACK THAT WHIP!

Im back my fellow chaotic degenerate brethren! I had some time this week to sit down and got some models together, finished the Devo parody, Daemo, as well as put the finishing touches on the Metalocalypse squad, Dethklok!

Daemo, "When a loyalist comes along, you must whip it!"

bVoyDwP.jpg

Decided to convert some Reaper Chaincannons for the marine squads since i plan to have both Havocs and Obliterators in this army and i do NOT think i need any more AT firepower in the squads

DETHKLOK, "We'll teach you who rock..."

StfcEtN.jpg

Skwisgaar Skwigelf, taller than a tree.

YL6eRVG.jpg

Toki Wartooth, not a bumblebee.

bDCRaAa.jpg

William Murderface, Murderface, Murderface.

lN65yZP.jpg

Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)

Qfm8NcW.jpg

Nathan Explosion!

5SHory5.jpg

Dethklok in all their Face-melting, World-ending, splendor. this was like my third attempt at sculpting hair, and my first at creating legitimate hair that wasn't already part of the model just being extended so hopefully when painted they all look great

at this point i have 1 more squad to build, the Alpharius 5, and i think for the most part they are going to just be basic CSM but with bolters (and probably a converted Chaincannon) my idea to get them to all look the same will be to use some surplus helmets from my old CSM to just have them all wearing the same helmet, this should hopefully be enough for them.

as always C&C is appreciated, up next is going to be the Roadies (oblits), tour buses (venom crawlers), and groupies (Slaanesh daemons) although i still have NO idea how I'm going to convert those last two, i may just have to end up making them fit in with paint...

Thanks Brother Aiwass! My plan is to finish up these models and get them primed and ready for the painting comp in the next few months (although I may not be able to wait that long haha).

Although I won't be pledging chaos this year (I already promised my GSC to the Xenos Boards) I will still do these as an off vow to keep myself motivated and working on models

Edit: my friends and I just had an outstanding idea for this army, in the new Mad Max they have that crazy guitar player on the car made of speakers. I'm going to use that as inspiration to turn a spare Venomcrawler and the Limited edition Noise Marine into a Lord DisCHORDant and I'm so freaking excited!

• 3 weeks later...

And lo, the 4th and final band has arisen! Say hello to the Alpharius 5:

xDrq6d2.jpg

Super happy with how these guys turned out, tried to make them as "generic" as possible because thematically, they're all Alpharius, so they need to look as similar as possible.

I do still gotta clean up that rotor cannon (some GS to really blend all the parts together) but once that is done i can move on to priming all the dudes

i also finished up Michael Alpharius:

QAi6VV6.jpg

I tried to keep him as a greater possessed, gave him a regular possessed arm to make him different enough from the other but then swapped the head (which was as easy as just carving the old head out with a cutter and hobby knife...) with just a "generic" marine head because... say it with me now, "I am Alpharius"

At this point i just have to build the last greater possessed (my Daft Punk parody with 2 heads and probably 4 arms if i can find a way to fit them all in there) and the venom crawlers (very little in conversions for them, will mostly be in the painting dept to make them fit the theme), convert up the obliterators (turning all their flesh metal guns into amps/speakers/instruments to fit the Roadie theme) and finish the Daemons and the Daemon formerly known as Prince. Then i gotta get my hands on a third venom crawler for my Lord DisCHORDant conversion.

"The Daemon formerly known as Prince"

Damn, my coffee. Damn, my Keyboard. Damn you! :biggrin.:

Edit: Are you mixing the Possessed with the new CSM box? If yes, are the parts similar size and how many possessed can you make of one box each? (roughly)

Edited by MasterDeath

"The Daemon formerly known as Prince"

Damn, my coffee. Damn, my Keyboard. Damn you! :biggrin.:

Edit: Are you mixing the Possessed with the new CSM box? If yes, are the parts similar size and how many possessed can you make of one box each? (roughly)

I'm sorry for your keyboard truly. For the first squad (which I'm using as possessed) I mixed in some possessed bits with the shadowspear marines, though I assume the new "multipart" kits would be fully compatible, the marines are the same scale just like primaris to regular marines the arms are just a little shorter (as you can tell by the chainsword marines I converted into bolter marines) but with possessed I cant imagine it not working since they are all mutated and stuff

• 4 weeks later...

Welp i have completed work on the remainder of Shadowspear now so all i gotta do now is the groupies (ie daemons) from wrath and rapture

I have some neat "Sonic Obliterators" to show off as well as the final "solo" artist in the battle of the bands.

Sonic Obliterators:

VchLrW7.jpg

3kJymDD.jpg

0RaPjwB.jpg

Px0ZOlB.jpg

did a little conversion work on 2 of them just do the roadies don't look TOO similar. still a bit of GS work to finish but otherwise these boys are done and ready to carry the bands' gear for their "Tour"

The last "solo" act, Foolish Goon:

tCNtNhG.jpg

so this is my Daft Punk parody, i knew he needed 2 heads just so i could make it work but the most important part will come when painting as one helmet will be silver the other gold.

i also have 2 Venomcrawlers done but as they are just standard i won't bore you with pictures, instead gaze upon my Warband for their latest "Tour":
vjk5STd.jpg

you may also notice my Daemon formerly known as prince hiding out on the right side of that group picture, all in good time i will complete him (gotta make up his guitar first!