The Siege of Terra: Solar War

Izlude

Obviously this thread will happen soon with all the pre-orders placed and the books soon to be dispatched. 

Funny with all the hype and the short synopsis on the BL website...I actually have no clue what this book will be about (not the actual siege that we all know in the lore) but what book 1 will entail. It sounds like based on the overall meetings about the siege...people will die...

The words on the back of the LE edition and the sneak peak of what is presumably page 1 (https://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/the-siege-of-terra-solar-war-en-hb-2019.html) do present some interesting possibilities.

I like the infinity symbol in place of the usual date/timestamp on that previewed page, what with it being a scene set in the warp.

Edited by Sandlemad

It's going to be about the battle in space in the Solar System; so, lots of space ship action. The time frame will be from when the traitors enter the system's edge until they began making planet fall on Terra.

I imagine it would be like the novella "Crimson Fist", but novel size.

So, if you love void war, this should be a heaven for you.

Here's an interview by the man himself.

John French Interview, I guess spoilers if you wanna go in completely clean?

Main focus on the 6 weeks of war from when the first ships enter the solar system to the first shells falling on Terra.

Wanted to get across the character and history of places like the Jovian(?) Void Clans, Mechanicum etc, how they’re older than the Imperium is.

Horus has a vast fleet, but can’t safely drop out of the warp into a system like the Sol system. He doesn’t have time to do it safely at the edge as Guilliman etc closing in behind. On the map, near Pluto and Uranus there is the Chthonian Gate and Elysian Gate which are more stable points within the system, but obviously these are very well fortified. Book starts with simultaneous attack on these two areas.

Big cast:
Sigismund, one of the main characters, in command of the outer sphere around Pluto, in command of the force that will first encounter the traitors (not meant to stop the traitor fleet, just hold for as long as possible). Still there as his penance, as not expected to survive.

Horus Aximand - Commanding the traitor fleet at the Pluto gate, Sons of Horus and Iron Warriors mentioned. Apparently will see Aximand and Sigismund cross blades.

Abaddon - point of view character (not been seen much). Horus has dropped a fleet above the plane of the solar system, led by Abaddon, contains the elite of the SoH, lots of Dark Mech, some Thousand Sons, Word Bearers. See some of Abaddons origins on Cthonia.

Mersadie Oliton - remembrancer from first books, prisoner on Titan. Has been moved as Titan has been moved for Grey Knights stuff. Ship she’s transported in is around Uranus as the fleet led by Perturabo comes out of the Uranus gate. She is carrying some information given at start of the book for Dorn.

Loken - one of the main characters.

Lot about Sangy, Dorn, Khan, Malcador, seen through an Admirals eyes. Three primarchs have different views on what the best strategies are as very different.

The Emperor and Horus, interactions between the Emperor and the warp version of Horus.

Ahriman, Perturabo, Forrix crop up.

Wanted his Abaddon to resonate to where we see Abaddon go in the ADB novels, why does he go from being as loyal as he is to Horus to his disdain of him later. Scene between Abaddon and Zardu Layak, talking about the other SoH who remained loyal, to Abaddon they are the traitors and he is the loyal one, to him loyalty is first with his brothers, then to Horus, then to the other Legions then to the Emperor. He really hates Loken etc as he sees them not following Horus as the betrayal.

Almost equal word time for both sides through the series, deliberately. Want to portray both sides evenly. Right and wrong on each side.

Pluto is classified as a planet again in the 31st Millenium :wink:

A lot of void combat. A lot of research done, but void combat in 30/40k doesn’t necessarily use a lot of real world physics - more research into napoleonic/ww1 naval warfare (with some physics). Did do research into time for radio/laser signals to get from outer solar system to terra - means that Dorn etc on Terra know the traitors are here, but don’t have any detail about what’s happening for hours (have Astropath signal to say traitors have arrived, but nothing else as signals take time to transmit).

The Phalanx appears in the book.

Thousand Sons have a particular role in the Solar War.
Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka
Added spoiler tag.

SNIP

Thanks for that, fire golem. And damn French, way to get me salivating over this release. The guy has a great mind for detail and is one of those authors that, for me, just gets every faction and character he touches. 

The main cast looks really promising too. Some of those character have needed rehabilitation (in-heresy) since Abnett wrote them, and I'm stoked for more.

Apparently will see Aximand and Sigismund cross blades. 

I'm now living for the sheer salt we're going to see if Siggy takes Aximand's head off. Come on French! You did it before and you can do it again!

Thanks so much fire golem. I am now even more hyped than before. Really keen to see Abaddon get the 30k attention he deserves.

Fearing a little for Aximand though! I hope he lives till the end of the siege - he betrayed everything he stood for to side with Horus, and I'd like to see the look on his (messed up) face when it all goes horribly wrong - but if he's going to die to anyone, Sigismund is the man to do it. Would also help Sigismund's scalp collection I suppose.

that sounds like a pretty large scope of work - lotsssss going on there. 

hope characters get enough attention - i assume Abaddon will have a pretty substantial part in the novels to come so i imagine he wont have an entire conversion to the ADB arcs of later times.

i mean if we can get something with as much gravitas and scale as what we got with the likes of Know No Fear and some of the kind of racking up of tension/plans coming to fruition/omggolly geeheded?! as we had in PoD this could be one tasty affair

Besides the fact I don't know why Pert would have tubes coming out of his head outside of terminator armour, I really dig that pic. Power armour is fine, but the "big space marine" look for primarchs never really captured their grandeur for me. He looks like a true war leader and conqueror in that shot.

Rogal reminds me a lot of his first appearance, for whatever reason:

1453958288670.png

It's funny how diverse viewpoints on how characters are handled can be. For me, French's Perturabo has had one of the series' best arcs, and from The Crimson Fist to Tallarn to Slaves to Darkness has been pitch perfect, with Angel Exterminatus being fluff and Hammer of Olympia being interesting but peripheral. French's Pert has always been exactly how I pictured him after reading his wiki entries. But I know there are also those who see the literal opposite, and are hardly any less valid.

I'm glad French has got him again in Solar War though, I tell you hwat.