Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Siege of Terra: Solar War

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,611 posts

Honestly it's quite surprising that it's only in recent years that the fandom (and the FW/BL writers, in fairness) have woken up to the fact that legion recruitment simply must have continued during the heresy, even putting aside the stuff about the accelerated methods. Go back to some of the earlier heresy discussons online and it's very much a simplistic 'well, this legion lost X amount at Isstvaan, then another X during the war, so by 40k there is only a few thousand left'.

• Marshal Loss, DarkChaplain and LetsYouDown like this

Moonreaper666

Moonreaper666

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 353 posts

Honestly it's quite surprising that it's only in recent years that the fandom (and the FW/BL writers, in fairness) have woken up to the fact that legion recruitment simply must have continued during the heresy, even putting aside the stuff about the accelerated methods. Go back to some of the earlier heresy discussons online and it's very much a simplistic 'well, this legion lost X amount at Isstvaan, then another X during the war, so by 40k there is only a few thousand left'.

Didn'r the Word Bearers steal geneseed from dead loyalists during the Drop Site Massacre?

Geneseed naturally doubles itself within a year once implanted in somebody. Barring corruption and casualties, every Legion can double its size every year!

Grand Master Laertes

Grand Master Laertes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 528 posts
  • Faction: Betrayers of Pain

Didn'r the Word Bearers steal geneseed from dead loyalists during the Drop Site Massacre?

Geneseed naturally doubles itself within a year once implanted in somebody. Barring corruption and casualties, every Legion can double its size every year!

Not exactly, as it takes years for the progenoid glands to mature to the point of being usable, and even then it is still canonically unclear if they can be both explanted without provoking the death of the Space Marine (some sources say yes, other say no).

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,795 posts

And the Word Bearers didn't implant the stolen gene-seed, but used it to provoke the Ruinstorm and bring Tormageddon into being iirc

• LetsYouDown likes this

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 625 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

A quick look at Tempest shows that after Calth, there were about 102,158 Ultramarines still alive. I note that this is before the outset of the Shadow Crusade, for which I've not heard of any solid casualty figures. Can we assume that while a bunch were lost, a bunch were being churned out/in the process of being churned out, a la Pharos? All things being even (and this IS an assumption on my part) can we say that the XIIIth is still in the ballpark of 100k legionaries? I don't recall, but did Ruinstorm tell us either a figure or a proportion of the XIIIth stayed behind while Bobby G and his boys went to Terra? 

All this to say, Horus knows Guilliman is at his back, he may not know just what kind of forces Guilliman has, and while I think I agree with everyone that Ol' Blue Balls couldn't take the combined traitor fleet alone,  he seems to represent enough of a challenge to the traitors, in that he is effectively cornering them with a force of legionaries that may be the largest single cohesive force left on the board. 

I think they said that fully 1/3 of each legion was left to defend Imperium Secundus, which imo is ghastly and has no benefit at all. Having an additional third of each legion would most likely have had a major effect on the outcome of the war........an extra 1/3 of BA at Terra? Caliban shenanigans doesn't happen if the Lion has an additional 1/3? etc.

If Horus had won, then the divided force left at Ultramar would stand no chance against the traitors anyway.

As an aside, it's noted in the Raven Guard arc that their new recruits are still made with the old methods, mainly because Corax said no to any sort of accelerated program after the raptors incident. What I found interesting was that the recruits were bred and indoctrinated to be a fighting force against other marines rather than the typical GC era marine. I assume it's the same for recruits of the majority of legions though.

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ MODERATI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,625 posts
  • Faction: None - I'm a fluff nerd.

Alright guys.

We already got a thread covering a potential Scouring series. I invite you all to continue this talk over there as I'm eager to have this era covered, as well.

I moved your post so that we can keep it clean in here.

This one's about the Solar War. Back to topic.

Edited by Kelborn, 14 June 2019 - 02:47 PM.

• DarkChaplain likes this

tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpgtn_gallery_87379_12273_193556.jpgtn_gallery_87379_12273_86064.png

Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

Skalpynock

Skalpynock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,479 posts
The mongrel SoH passage mentions he's been uplifted to Astartes in a mere 6 months, if anyone wanted solid figures.
  • Preliminary Bombardment likes this

tn_gallery_77459_12000_9810.pngtn_gallery_77459_12000_28699.png gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeg tn_gallery_77459_12000_11946.pngtn_gallery_77459_12000_20864.png

Legio IX: the Warbringers Proto-Legio IX: the Steel Guard

Legio IV: the Void Eagles Proto-Legio IV: the Morning Stars

Tymell

Tymell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 634 posts

The mongrel SoH passage mentions he's been uplifted to Astartes in a mere 6 months, if anyone wanted solid figures.

To clarify, it says "He was transhumanly strong, and had all the skills that six months of battle hypnosis could give." So it doesn't necessarily mean the entire process was 6 months. I can't recall the details of the (30k) process off the top of my head, but I'd assume the actual battle hypnosis doesn't begin until some way through the full creation process.

---------------------------
(On-going) HH project, characters, timeline points, ships - https://sites.google...ellsheresy/home

Feel free to PM in case of missing info or sudden but inevitable errors!

Carach

Carach

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 260 posts
Guys i just bought this (was surprised to see it available on amazon before titandeath)

Is titandeath and buried dagger essential reading before this terra business kicks off or can i safely ignore them and start going balls deep into this book?

Were there any important side stories that i should read from them beforehand? Buried dagger had knights errant stuff right?

So weird though that this is available on amazon immediately whereas titandeath has literally only just become available yesterday and buried dagger isnt about until september..

Edited by Carach, 16 June 2019 - 10:02 PM.

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,135 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus

You can ignore them as they have very little relevance to Solar War. I'd recommend reading Slaves to Darkness & Praetorian of Dorn prior if you haven't already though.

• LetsYouDown, SkimaskMohawk and bluntblade like this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye
A (perpetually inactive) blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 619 posts

Guys i just bought this (was surprised to see it available on amazon before titandeath)

Is titandeath and buried dagger essential reading before this terra business kicks off or can i safely ignore them and start going balls deep into this book?

Were there any important side stories that i should read from them beforehand? Buried dagger had knights errant stuff right?

So weird though that this is available on amazon immediately whereas titandeath has literally only just become available yesterday and buried dagger isnt about until september..

Neither of them have any real baring on this particular book. There's no carry-over from Beta Garmon and the protagonists of Buried Dagger don't appear.

Hey I've started a web comic! You can read it here.

Carach

Carach

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 260 posts
Cheers for quick response guys - its bed time and i needed those answers as the book is just sat there staring at me. Tempting me. Now i can delve into its pages with a clean conscience

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users