Help building craft world army

Lvlivs

I would like some help building a craftworld army. The army I fight most is tau and usually get smashed. These are the units I have. Though having a nice rounded list would be nice too. And if you can give reasons as to what you pick that would be great!!

HQ

- Farseer skyrunner

- 3 warlocks

- 2 Farseers

- eldrad Ulthwé

Troops

- 21 rangers

- 30 guardians

- 10 dire avengers

Elites

- 10 striking scorpions

- 5 wraith gauged

Fast attack

- 12 swooping hawks

- 3 vypers

- 18 warp spiders

- 9 windriders

Heavy support

- fire prism

- 3 support weapons

- war walker

Flyers

- 2 crimson hunter exarch

Dedicated transport

- 3 wave serpents

Thanks for the help in advance!!!!

Against Tau I would invest in some Banshees... and an autarch on bike..

Reason.  You deploy the banshees in the wave serpent (if you get first turn move it to the edge of your deployement zone with a stratagem) directly opposite a unit of fire warriors  disembark (3") + move (7") + advance (6" with strat) then you get 2D6 +3" charge.  Banshees masks mean no overwatch at all!

Autrach on bike with laser lance, can get a banshee mask (index option) as well, so is useful for flying round then charging the big heavy thats worrying you.

I'd also invest in Dark Reapers... they ALWAYs hit on a 3+ in their shooting phase & their reaper launchers are good at high toughness & MEQs (s8 1 shot -2AP  3D or S5 2 shot -2AP 2D)

Now with what you have.... Do you have any weapon platforms for the guardians?  Are the Wraith Guard equipped with d-sythes or wraith canons?

2ndly dont be afraid to spend a lot of your CP before the game... that is extra relics, 3 to put two units in the clouds / webway + 2 to redeploy 3 units.  Its also worth pointing out that the Autrachs ability to regain CP is not limited to just one before the 1st turn so you could in theory (if you roll a lot of 6s) get all your CP for deployment tricks back... the Autarch needs to be deployed on the field in order to be able to roll...

3rdly what sort of points do you play & how are you for proxing?  With what you have heres a few options

HQ - twin farseers, 1 x doom + guide, 1 x exectionor + mindwar 

OR farseer doom + executioner + spirtseer (use a warlock... just dont take warlocks + do this.) /2 warlocks

Troops - dire avengers,... without knowing what you've equipped the exarch with.... but I like to run the shimmer shield one for a nice 5++ save

a unit of 10 rangers for hitting the characters from turn one

a unit or two of guardians, either in the webway, so they can deploy 9.1" away and unleash a hail of shurikens and /or grab objectives

That should be 500ish points and a battalion formation

I would go for the scoropians, again for the deep strike (if your not on the battlefiled they cant shoot you) and the mortal wounds in combat... dont forget to try and get a warlock close enought to cast the +1 to hit in combat and then if you can play the supream distane strat (hits of a 6 after modifiers generate extra attacks).. this stacks with the exarchs natrual ability so for every 6 he makes 2 extra attacks... also if you can get the scorpians to attack a unit thats in cover for an extra +1 to hit... so a 4+ is an extra attack if it all goes off :smile.:

Also the hawks... drop down with the grenade packs for mortal wounds dealt in the movement phase.... and the amount of 24" assault shots they can put out will put wounds on any infantry..

Then next on my list would go the wave serpents... again what weapon load outs?  if you have triple shuriken canon (and if not why not?)  then give it Vectored Engines & star engines so you always advance to get the -1 to being hit. and you are going 2D6 + movement no matter what bracket your in

Also you need the fireprism to put the wounds on the opponents big stuff... you really need at least another S8 shooting attack.. be it bright lances on a wave serpent, Dark Reapers or Fire Dragons... at the moment when the fire prisms gone you are relying on 6s to wound with not a lot of AP 

Edited by Slasher956

Thanks for replying!!!! So for now I’m not looking to expand my army (cash gotta be spent somewhere else) but thank you for the tips.

I do have weapon platforms with the guardians and my wraith guard have dnscythes but as to your proxying questions we are fine with proxying weapon options but not one model to another so don’t need to worry to much about weapon options at the moment so just suggest what would work best

Thanks I have used the web way and cloudstrike but always forget about the other ones!

And just kinda to sum it up, thanks for the troops advice I always seem to have trouble dealing with all his pathfinders and fire warriors, it’s insane how cheap he gets them for. Always so many on the table and all with insane range and number of shots

For my other anti tank stuff I do mostly use my crimson hunter exharchs but I also have my warwalker that can take brightlances aswell as my vypers have brightlances. And I use my support weapons but not sure what the best loadout for them is.

Anyway thanks again!! Hope to hear from you soon. Also sorry if I missed anything.

Edited by Lvlivs

craftworld trick... get an empty wave serpent 1.1" away from a big hitter and fire the shield at it :tongue.:... after killing the drones of course...

then if the serpent is alive next turn and you have a CP left ... fire it again :tongue.:

edit - from experience here... write your list, think what strats + powers you'd use then put all the others away for a while and keep to that list so you learn the rules of the units your using.. the amount of times I've missed rules on units because I dont use them that often is galling.

Edited by Slasher956

@Slasher956

I’m always so scared to use my serpent shields cause it’s the only thing that keeps them alive hahah.

I’m fine on the unit rules cause I’ve read them so many times that it’s ingrained into my brain. my trouble is finding the sinergies between them all and remembering all the stratagems haha

• 3 weeks later...

i am a 8ed newb to eldar (newb not noob) i would roll 20 man blocks of gauardians with shuriken cannons on platforms (deep strike with strat ) get atleast 2 to 3 of these units. get a couple of darkreaper squads. i have used them against TAU, and they work really well. you should get atleast another direavenger squad, when in multiples, they work really well. and  i would get a spiritseer to buff the wraithguard. he is cheeper , 2 more wounds, hits on 2's, has d3 mortals on smite where the warlock has only 1 even in the conclave until you get to 6 or 7 of them, but then you are at over 300 pts. lastly, get another fire prysm for the link fire......hope this helps

Edited by alanbezley