Is the falcon good?

Lvlivs

The Falcon is confused. I want to like it but struggle to do so. The Wave Serpent is a better transport and the Fire Prism is a better gun boat. The Falcon tries to bridge the gap but fails to do so at a decent price point. This is in contrast to the Razorback (its closest Marine equivalent) which manages to be more cost effective than the Rhino or Predator.

I have not bothered with mine in 8th.

Karhedronuk is much more experienced in Eldar than I so he's a better source for you. I have a limited supply of Crafrtworld models and so I have used mine several times. What I have been using mine for is to protect my Banshees until I have them get out and charge something so that my Wraithlords and Avatar do not get any Overwatch fired against them.

Edited by Montford

I cannot see any use for them these days. Last edition we had a formation that let us deepstrike 3 of them, fill them with fire dragons and you've literally destroyed whatever you deepstruck next too.

But now. Id rather just use shuriken cannon wave serpents.

Our flyers and fire prisms do much better jobs at shooting.

The Falcon sits in an odd place. Wave Serpents have a bigger carrying capacity and superior durability. Fire Prisms are more lethal and come with stratagem support.

I love my Falcons because pulse lasers are fairly impressive and they're rare. But that six-man capacity means that high-lethality, low-count squads (Fire Dragons, Dark Reapers) are your best options...but these squad types are also high priority targets, and the Serpent is a better carrier for them because of the Serpent Shield. Putting them into a Falcon is just painting crosshairs on it, but *not* putting infantry in one is a waste of that capacity in which case you should just take a Prism.

There’s a reason why it got a points cut in ca2018...

Only 15 points though. I am not sure it is enough to make a significant difference. It still costs 40 points more than a Marine Razorback. It has the same Transport capacity and you still have to buy guns. 40 points is a lot to pay for 2 extra wounds and FLY.

Edited by Karhedronuk

• 2 weeks later...

the falcon is junk now....GW will fix this with a update sometime in the future. They have to be realizing that they are losing money on the kit. They will do one of the following :1, update it like they had to do for the razorback several years ago, ,,,,or,,,, scrap the model all together...which i dont think they will since they already have the molds already. i think they will get a update in a future whitedwarf and a big boost in chap approv 2019

the falcon is junk now....GW will fix this with a update sometime in the future. They have to be realizing that they are losing money on the kit. They will do one of the following :1, update it like they had to do for the razorback several years ago, ,,,,or,,,, scrap the model all together...which i dont think they will since they already have the molds already. i think they will get a update in a future whitedwarf and a big boost in chap approv 2019

eh, the model's been out since, what 98-99, they've already made money on that kit, and it's not going to be reprinted, wave serpents and prisms all round, it's a lost cause, wouldn't expect it to make the next codex

I'm very well expecting it to make it to the next codex.

The set aged very well and it's a classic tank, in the good way, not the old scrap way.

You have to be very cynical to expect GW to be that ruthless with their own fluff and heritage.

Concerning the rules, if GW is smart, it will re-introduce the crystal targeting matrix and the holofield in the next Codex in a way the Falcon would benefit.

CTM only for tanks with manned turret => Falcon finally shooting better than the Serpent again.

Holofield similar to the FW holofields (but less bad), i.e. the bonus gets better the further your tank moved.

Both is interesting for a mobile tank, i.e. not a Fire Prism that values its double shot, but the Serpent won't be able to equip it (due to serpent shield and no manned turret) => Falcon benefits the most.

This is wishlisting, ofc., but you don't have to make the Falcon cheap as a Razoback to make it viable and give it back its niche.