Alpha Legion or Death Guard

dbecer01

Purely in terms of competetivenes and playstyle, what are the differences between the two?

I've never played as either, but it seems like Alpha Legion is better against shooting with the -1, and also they are a bit faster and more flexible -- as they have access to the CSM codex. 

It looks like Death Guard can take more punishment, even when assaulted, and are very survivable in general, but look like they have a much slower playstyle. Some of their troops have -1 to hit, and also can put an additional -1 to hit, but that's on your turn. I worry about getting to objectives, and being ranged/outmaneuvered by Eldar/Tau with the slow speed of the army.

I'm a relative newbie, so please feel free to set me straight here. My meta has a lot of guard and admech, and lots of shooting in general.

DG have access to many exclusive competetive units, and could get easier synergy from daemon friends.

If forced to pick the same units with csm, DG may be weaker, but whom the hell would do that?

Death Guard are a very durable force. 5+ FNP on top of armor and Invulnerable saves (all the new vehicles are daemon engines) is nothing to sneeze at. While the infantry are slow, they also have the Rhino so they can scoot around when needed to take objectives and such. Death Guard seem to operate at their best as a wave of Plague Marines marching forwards, as inexorable as the sea, pumping out gunfire as they come. It's very common.

Alpha Legion is only durable against long range shooting, but in exchange their lethality goes up with access to stratagems like Endless Cacophony and units like Berzerkers (who very appreciate the extra 9" move they get from the Legion strat)'

Alpha Legion have access to strong stuff like Slaanesh marked Plasma Termis, Havocs and Obliterators which allows them to shoot twice via Stratagem. 

Archived