The Ouroboros Crusade. Old to new, the Crusade continues.

Eberious

Truthfully,

Mainly, I didn't try and rush it.

I didn't think it was the miracle paint one coat wham bam and I'm done. But I was impatient and tried applying the wrong technique's I've used on my older Templars. Got frustrated and started making mistakes. Then tried something totally different, edge highlighting only with colours I'd use to paint obsidian instead. While I took my time on that one it was messy and wasn't "my" way if you get me.

So slapped myself across the face(metaphorically) and got it my head to make it work with contract as it does save a huge amount of time getting the grey finish I like. Battle worn. 

So,

Grey seer primed

Careful but generous application of the BT contrast 

>

Left if dry completely (the important part, which probably caused my issues to start with)

>

a 50/50 BT contrast and lahmian medium and went over the very grey parts where you could see far to much of the primer.

>

Then left it 

>

Then edge highlight of administratum grey, rather than a dry brush it.

>

Then a very very light dry brush of screaming skull  here and there

They are a blacker in real life, just the camera is picking up the grey a lot, as they do. 

So yeah, the main different was patience and logical thinking. Not falling back on my old way of painting my Templars and trying to ram it on this lot. As it doesn't work with contrast.

So you could also say experimentation.

I'm also trying to not over do it, to keep it simple. As I can tend to get very fussy and start over painting it to the point where it looks awful. The light I have also doesn't help, really should invest in a proper lamp/bulb for painting by.

Edited by Eberious

Thank you Marshal Rohr, and I am. :smile.:

Now a quick side distraction from the painting. I know these aren't everyone's Bolter/cup of tea/thing, but I love em. 

x2j9VIY.jpg

M0iXNvH.jpg

niCjpgH.jpg

Might get another two, make one Imperial Fist and the other a Crimson Fist, maybe. 
Edited by Eberious

Thanks both,

@marcusc,  interesting you should mention that. Other than the suppressor squad from Shadow spear, I'm debating between IF or CF for the scout/infiltrator  elements of the set. As not really a Templar way of making war, will be part of the ongoing Crusade/collection. Fluff wise is that my Templars need a scout role filled and called upon their brethren to fulfill it.  

The shadowspear infiltrators have me similarly considering traditional yellow IF, or black with IF decals in white, but hadn't thought about the option you raise of outsourcing to another chapter.  Raven guard possibly.  Great models that the theming opens up these ideas  

Raven guard would work with the role they fulfil, being stealthy and all. But want to avoid more black, so for me(having now had time to think, not that it took long to decide, lol) I'll go Crimson fists. Any excuse to paint the other sons of Dorn.

I reckon outsourcing this role to another Chapter would be what Black Templars would actually do, and takes care of anyone pointing out that it's not very Templar to sneak around, snipering stuff, etc. Like myself, pointing out to myself, that's not very Templar. lol.

Story short, expect to see Crimson Fists. :biggrin.:

Edited by Eberious

• 2 months later...

Been having a few issues uploading from my camera to pc recently, so while I've got a tablet/laptop thing on loan think I'll get some pics posted.

Got a good bit painted(for me) but better pics of those over the next few days. Here's what I took a few weeks back for the ETL.

VQz39t5.jpg

uFOcRuC.jpg

For now, I'm working on a Chaplain Redemptor. Pretty much did the base last night and tonight, which I'm glad as I can now get the dreadnought pose sorted and the legs fixed in place. Once I get the general pose the fun begins, can start adding all of the gubbins, battle damage, etc  and a giant hammer beat stick being held high and proud. 

Just waiting on some bits coming in. 

b3lRqAw.jpg

OaaYvvP.jpg

z2eQi8q.jpg

Top bit, fancy missile housing. Wanting to have the arch bit flow from front to back. Have made curved doors that would open for the missile launcher to pop out of then back in. Won't actually do that, far to much work. But you get the idea. 

fiBWD1e.jpg

zf8rbgD.jpg

01PBzaG.jpg

RWU0Ola.jpg

ZwMNUDS.jpg

Before shot.

XU3IS70.jpg

All for now.

Your Templars are well done.

The Chaplain Dreadnought looks most promising, though he may need a skull on his breastplate, and a crozius outline painted on the Dreadnought close combat weapon, to let those outside the Fighting Company know he's a Chaplain. (I'm assuming his own Fighting Company's members know exactly who he is.)

What will you put on the Chaplain's standard? A coat-of-arms? An image of the Chaplain in life, fighting the battle that resulted in his internment? Dorn fighting aboard the Vengeful Spirit, with dead traitors piled at the Primarch's feet?

Cheers,

@Bjorn Firewalker, yah, the areas won't be bare once finished. In regards to the Crozius I'm going to model the standard sized one and stick on somewhere as a beloved relic, personal keepsake type thing. Either as a hanging pendant or fixed in place somewhere.

Not sure if I'm going to do a standard yet or not. As with the way the back is doesn't leave a lot of room for one. I have an idea for it but will only know for sure when coming to the decoration part.

If a standard, I'll have to give some thought. Was going to base it on a Chaplain from my other Crusade and use his standard.  But didn't care for the ribs and bones on such a large model. Would of ended up looking like a LOTD dread. Which is no bad thing, but wouldn't be a Templar.

Maybe a faded  PA chaplain silhouette with arms open wide with the Emperors light coming from directly behind his head area, picking up highlights of his armour just enough to make out the grim dark death mask and points on the armour, over looking the planet he was struck down on.  Then with "Even in death I serve, I am reborn" in Latin or something as the text

Actually that sounds pretty good.. dam it...... ponders if one can pull it off or not. It would be waaay above my comfort and possibly skill level to get the light to flow over the shadowy parts and highlighted armour points. Could sketch it on in pencil first I suppose.

How does one paint faded colours to look misty/faded and not a block colour.?

@Kolgrim DeathHowl, cheers. Was a fair bit of work, fun though. Something I didn't want to repeat. lol.

@cheers, shouldn't be to long.

Not had much of a chance to sit down and get some work done this week. Some progress on the Chaplain pilot head area. The idea being that rather than his head being fed sensory information, his head is within the skull itself. Powered by servo's and pistons etc. Just wanted to get that across.  

mK64gy0.jpg

I28PeTr.jpg

SmTQcwH.jpg

ZIeOJcJ.jpg

eN1PjPe.jpg

Thanks all, 

@PowerHungryMonkey, Should be good, going revisit my old way of modelling. Found myself modelling for legal weapons load outs recently, going to change that here, slightly. 

@Marshal Rohr, Aye few times in my older threads in the WIP and BT sections. However the painted models in this thread are done in a different way. Greyseer spray base coat > BT contrast > highlight administratum grey > dry brush administratum grey > slight dry brush screaming skull.

Not sure if I want to approach anything bigger then a Dread using that method. As I've seen tests/attempts using contrast on tanks and due to the large surface area it doesn't sit to well. Not to say I won't be trying, if there's a will there's a way. 

Edited by Eberious

Thanks both,

@Majkhel, need to let everyone know that I didn't sculpt it. I use bluestuff to take an impression of the original bit and make greenstuff copies of it. Cheating in a way, but it has a great finish and I don't get much time in RL to develop my skills in sculpting to that level.  :) 

But I did want the Crux Terminatus style for the head, so glad you like it. Cheers.  

Thanks Kyknos Of Athena, 

I use this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZLXLaidjQ

I love it, as it allows me to get details I would otherwise not be able to use. It cuts down on spending me hard earned £'s to get certain bits over and over and allows me to keep those harder to find OOP bits safe and un-used/damaged. Also allows for less waste by not destroying whole sections of model parts for the desired bit. There are exceptions of course. 

I sculpt some master bits from plasticard products of my own and use the same method. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh, update time. Been having issues with uploading pics from my camera to the pic. The uploader keeps crashing after MS update. Found a way around this late last night so took a few quick shots to share. Turns out I can access the camera files and just save a copy of the pics to my pc. I'm not techy/I.T type, but still odd that it too me so long to find that. Been focusing on fixing the uploader so much forgot to have a look at other way.

Anyways, with that bit of useless info out the way. …

I give you quite possibly the favourite kitbashed custom weapon I've ever made. Still a WIP but basically finished. Sounds pompous I know, lol   

asaC502.jpg

DafgVzh.jpg

SBNhxi0.jpg

And the Chaplain so far, still wip. I'm some what happy with the melted plasticard half tabard. :smile.:  the wonders of a few tools and the electric oven hob.

8ribatZ.jpg

aDPrkGj.jpg

AtYnyUp.jpg

Edited by Eberious