The Ouroboros Crusade. Old to new, the Crusade continues.

Eberious

Lol, indeed. Chainsword goes.... Brrrrr. :laugh.:

@Ranulf, :teehee:  

So tonight when I get home will be the 5th night of trying to come up with a personal heraldry for Helbrecht, other than a extra parchment/ribbon I'm working on he's pretty much finished. Hopefully I'll get it done tonight so I can post him up and move on his squire.

Problem I'm facing is the shield I'm painting this on is on his back over the gold of his back pack and the black of his cloak is a large part of the view from behind. The designs I've liked end up clashing with the main colours, getting to cluttered with detail or gets lost/blends in with the gold/black. One would think it shouldn't really be that hard. Latest thoughts were a quartered theme of dirty Averland sunset yellow and black, with a white cross in the middle. Both of which get lost a little on the gold/black back ground. :mellow.:

Trying to stay away from red and whites, which would make it pop and get the job done. As wanting it to be personal to him,  rather than related to the BT Crusade/s. 

So,,, gah! 

Lol, indeed. Chainsword goes.... Brrrrr. :laugh.:

@Ranulf, :teehee:  

So tonight when I get home will be the 5th night of trying to come up with a personal heraldry for Helbrecht, other than a extra parchment/ribbon I'm working on he's pretty much finished. Hopefully I'll get it done tonight so I can post him up and move on his squire.

Problem I'm facing is the shield I'm painting this on is on his back over the gold of his back pack and the black of his cloak is a large part of the view from behind. The designs I've liked end up clashing with the main colours, getting to cluttered with detail or gets lost/blends in with the gold/black. One would think it shouldn't really be that hard. Latest thoughts were a quartered theme of dirty Averland sunset yellow and black, with a white cross in the middle. Both of which get lost a little on the gold/black back ground. :mellow.:

Trying to stay away from red and whites, which would make it pop and get the job done. As wanting it to be personal to him,  rather than related to the BT Crusade/s. 

So,,, gah! 

Isn't the heraldic emblem of each High Marshal a sword? (Example: see Armageddon,Vinculus, and Jerulas Crusade banners that each describe the heraldic sword of their respective High Marshal as part of the banner)

I recall the sword acts like a badge of office that he carries in the lore and a reminder of Dorn's failure to protect the Emperor. His personal banner depicts this sword emblem and stands in for a chapter banner, as other banners do for different crusades. But my aim was to give him some personal heraldry that in non-lore, from a hobby point of view is all. :) 

Apologies. I wasn't referring to the Sword of the High Marshals itself. 

unknown.png

Apologies for the size, but this should illustrate what I meant. From what I can tell, the Jerulas, Vinculus, and Armageddon Crusades all mention their respective high marshal and describes a stylized sword as the heraldic emblem or seal of the High Marshal. In each of the three banners, the sword looks vastly different from the other is so my guess is that each High Marshal has their own unique sword sigil. Seems pretty cool, though undoubtedly something of a bitch to paint. I'm not saying you have to use the sword or anything, it was just a thought that might help you out with some ideas.

I imagine that Helbrecht's name comes from the German town of Helmbrecht, perhaps. Helmbrect has its own Heraldry. Maybe you could use that as something of an idea for him with some little historical ties? :)

Helmbrechts.hagd.jpg

Maybe use like a cream or the Averland yellow colors and replace the red eagle with some small approximation to the Helbrecht's sword. 

Hope that gives an idea or two for you, man. Seriously looking forward to seeing Helbrecht finished. 

Ah very nice, was trying to find a Germanic theme to start with but was unable to find one I liked. What you have provided there is really cool. I certainly like the idea and it has some sort of connection to the real world that I was looking for. I'm sure there's a knight titan house that will have a transfer for it, at least for the animal part.

Thank you for that, as it's been doing my head right in. 

I accept this challenge !  

To the brushes!... at least when I get home from work. 

Chuffed that I actually finished, helps that it's just one model. I'm not the at best on skin, even more so eyes. But I've improved a fair bit since last I tried. 

May I present Helbrecht in all his Golden goodness. 

KiwaRep.jpg

AUhiJ15.jpg

xCtOdln.jpg

qbexdsA.jpg

dgMrcHt.jpg

LrlK5kF.jpg

K2KuqTd.jpg

05epUZg.jpg

eLHoPdh.jpg

Squire next.

Thank you,

@Sagentus,  after a few practise attempts this came out really good. I don't normally do free hand that much but after realising that I could paint this style of chain it was on!. As I always attempt to try and make it look real with shading and highlights, always ends up looking rubbish. But with the simple design it was an actual pleasure to paint it and came out really well. So I expect I'll be doing more of it in the future. 

The large white cross on the back I cheated on. Searched my hobby supplies high and low to find an old tank transfer sheet. Stuck it on, and painted over the top of it, dirtying it up and stuff. The little half crosses on the inside of the cloak, on the red side, are free hand though. 

Edited by Eberious

Thank you both. I am very happy with the cloak, have to say I'm also very happy with army painter's  detail and insane detail brushes. Have the get a magnifying glass next. Me ol'eyes having trouble focusing on the tiny details. 

Helbrecht's Squire.

Uv6OgM7.jpg

nCQ77iV.jpg

yx6NMv9.jpg

ai2wIFb.jpg

MQbvSZj.jpg

TCCYgOu.jpg

I love how expressive the squire's face is, and his pose for that matter. He looks like he's prepared and anxious to do his job well, and a little awed and intimidated by his master at the same time. And the eyes look great! Well done, frater; a worthy squire for your new Helbrecht.

This is truly shaping up to be a monumental project; your attention to familiar details from the 1st born range, coupled with accurate paint schemes that we all know and are instantly readable/recognizable is really awesome. If GW ever comes out with a ‘cross the primaris rubicon’ Templar’s characters for either Grimaldus or Helbrecht; they are going to have a lot to live up to!! Edited by Yosef Hausakluif

Thanks all.

@Chaplain Mollusc, he does, doesn't he. The more I look at it the more I imagine he's thinking  ' oh heck, what was that! '  to himself.

@Yosef Hausakluif, your comment honours me. I do try and carry forwards the small touches where possible, so thanks for picking up on that. And yes, GW should take note :)  

@Sherrypie, thank you. what's overboard? lol. You should see my older stuff.

• 1 month later...

Got distracted from painting a little bit. Made a banner for my Chaplain Dreadnought. 

Tester for sizing.

uczRHX0.jpg

LwoFQR8.jpg?1

S1AdaCd.jpg?1

had greenstuffed a load of drips and blobs but it looked awful. Glad I decided to remove it and give the candle plinth a rim and create there drips from plasticard/rod. 

xaG3ZfB.jpg

hyLH34j.jpg

Also added a few extra bits to the overall model and a greenstuff parchment wrapped around the hammer to join up where the current purity seal is. 

WGfYuhK.jpg

HJf2JMh.jpg 

Edited by Eberious

Incredible work. These are some gorgeous conversions. I felt my eyes actually pop when I saw that dreadnought, and I love how you've converted a squire for Helbrecht. It feels right, and the model is great. Wonderful job!

Whoever you play on the tabletop is going to remember facing your Templars for a long time.

Thank you all very much for the kind comments.  :) 

@Llagos_Tyrant , sadly, I don't really game. Mostly out of little free time and ever changing shifts at work. Didn't actually play 40k at all last edition, in fact didn't play any game during that time. :(   other then uno and that type of stuff with the kids. 

@Triszin, will have more soon as the banner is fitted in place, But leaving it unglued at this point so I can paint it. Plan to do some fancy donkey(if  you get my meaning) free hand on it.