What's Working, Kin? Why?

Has anyone used the new Phobos Rune Priest in conjunction with Njal and another RP to maximize psychic disciplines and the Living Lightning Strategem? The Photos can infiltrate, then on T2 you can easily move the Jump Pack RP and deep strike TermiNjal to get Living Storm off. The new discipline seems to make it more worthwhile to field a psychic heavy force, since you have a plethora of powers to pick from.

Has anyone used the new Phobos Rune Priest in conjunction with Njal and another RP to maximize psychic disciplines and the Living Lightning Strategem? The Photos can infiltrate, then on T2 you can easily move the Jump Pack RP and deep strike TermiNjal to get Living Storm off. The new discipline seems to make it more worthwhile to field a psychic heavy force, since you have a plethora of powers to pick from.

I ran 3 RP before the phobos option.  I had a TDA-RP; JP-RP and Njal

I would teleport wherever I wanted with the entire strike force

The infiltration of the phobos RP is bad for tactical flexibility and makes you come in near him

The living lightning stratagem has very specific range requirements as well

So a solid mono codex list I've been running recently is a smash lord, supported by a smash battle leader running with wulfen while using a core of intercessors and long fangs for the extra firepower. Has been working well for me and I'm testing a new list now with 6 intercessors squads, 2 wilden, 2 long fangs, and a load of HQs

So a solid mono codex list I've been running recently is a smash lord, supported by a smash battle leader running with wulfen while using a core of intercessors and long fangs for the extra firepower. Has been working well for me and I'm testing a new list now with 6 intercessors squads, 2 wilden, 2 long fangs, and a load of HQs

Odd request, but could you swap 1 squad of intercessors for Infiltrators, to act as bubble wrap for the fangs?

Odd request, but could you swap 1 squad of intercessors for Infiltrators, to act as bubble wrap for the fangs?

Infiltrators cost too much IMO

You can squeeze one in but have to trim points elsewhere to make up for it

Infiltrators cost too much IMO

My concern also. They lose offensive capability and range vs Intercessors in exchange for some infiltration and Reserve-blocking shenanigans. However they also pay a 5-ppm premium on top of their offensive downgrade which is just too expensive IMHO. However, pretty much every Primaris unit has started out looking overpriced and then been cut in future FAQs/Erratas so I would not be entirely surprised to see them get a couple of points shaved off. That might be enough to make them competitive if they come down below 20 ppm.

I'm very much enjoying the new Phobos Rune Priest with the Master of the Vanguard warlord trait and the temporal corridor power (plus the extra one to taste). The master of the vanguard trait gives any friendly chapter units within 6" a +1 to move, advance and charge roles. The temporal corridor power give him a second move in the psykic phase, allowing him to keep up with the Wulfen.

I regularly get off turn 2 charge with Wulfen without having to pay for a transport (unless you want the extra 3" disembark move) or CP to put them on the hunt. It's a nice little combo.

I also put the armour of russ on the rune priest, for the nice little fight last bonus.

Doesn’t the temporal power only work on Phobos units? Pretty sure it doesn’t work on wulfen?

Doesn’t the temporal power only work on Phobos units? Pretty sure it doesn’t work on wulfen?

He is using the phobos WL trait master of vanguard to get the early charge off

move advance (turns 1 and 2) then charge

worth 5 extra inches

if you start in a vehicle and disembark immediately on turn 1 you can get another 3 inches (6 total bonus inches on turn 1 are possible)

I'm very much enjoying the new Phobos Rune Priest with the Master of the Vanguard warlord trait and the temporal corridor power (plus the extra one to taste). The master of the vanguard trait gives any friendly chapter units within 6" a +1 to move, advance and charge roles. The temporal corridor power give him a second move in the psykic phase, allowing him to keep up with the Wulfen.

I regularly get off turn 2 charge with Wulfen without having to pay for a transport (unless you want the extra 3" disembark move) or CP to put them on the hunt. It's a nice little combo.

I also put the armour of russ on the rune priest, for the nice little fight last bonus.

He is using the phobos WL trait master of vanguard to get the early charge off

move advance (turns 1 and 2) then charge

worth 5 extra inches

if you start in a vehicle and disembark immediately on turn 1 you can get another 3 inches (6 total bonus inches on turn 1 are possible)

This. I use the power on the Rune Priest (as he is in Phobos Armour) so he can keep up with the Wulfen. Sorry, wasn't overly clear having reread my post.

I had a bad experience with this tactic in my last game however. Some poor placement choices (I over extended myself for a turn one charge) and some really bad dice rolls led to my Wulfen getting wiped off the board, leaving the Rune Priest exposed so he followed them soon after (giving away warlord kill). Need to make sure you support the Rune Priest just in case. I have learnt from my mistake and will be sure to correct it

Has anyone tired 15 BC on the Hunt. Two with PG one with PP plus WGPL with combi. Come in on the hunt with WGBL and WP with wulfen stone.

Then try and "sling shot" them in to charge with wulfen. Move and advance the wulfen up the board and then use the 12" bubble to reroll charge for the BC. Not a try sling shot but if the stars align it might work

This is a current combo im  working on

Stalker pack battalion,

Smashbattleleader with wulfen stone, and +1 attaack trait

Wolf priest or RP, or really anybody as backup + Armour of russ.

2x bloodclaw unit of 5 powerfist in each

1x grey hunters or Intercessors just generally for objective grabbing etc.

termite assault drill.

Wulfen

alot of synergy here

bloodclaws with chainswords 12 chainsword attacks base, 16 if proc the wulfen extra attack, 20 battle leader gets his ability off. 3 -5 power fist hits for the sarge also. 

obviously the wulfen are wulfen, if within range of blood claws, you can use their rerolls, to get one unit of blood claws in more reliably, then use the strat to get an extra d6 on the other blood claws OR smash dude, Rune priest or Wolfpriest with armour of russ if you want. 

the termite is by far the best troop carrier i have seen so far, my opponant runs so much str6/7 weaponry, armigers, etc, that my rhino's go down turn 1 pretty much every time.

i found this to be effective. only run it once before though, will keep testing it.

it has limitations, turn 2 thats alot of things off the board. its expensive. CP heavy. etc. relies on having good options to deploy the termite, it has a large footprint, and wulfen must come in near the edge for the re rolls.

still a work in progress but the termite looks pretty sexy in my eyes.

Just thought about mixing Jaws cast from Njal with Tenebrous Curse with a Phobos Rune Priest.. reading over the wording of Tenebrous Curse you don't halve how far they can move, you actually halve the characteristic. Now you probably wouldn't make many friends with that, but wow.

That could be so good.

Just thought about mixing Jaws cast from Njal with Tenebrous Curse with a Phobos Rune Priest.. reading over the wording of Tenebrous Curse you don't halve how far they can move, you actually halve the characteristic. Now you probably wouldn't make many friends with that, but wow.

That could be so good.

Brings back memories of the old TH for initiative 1 then jaws trick

That could be so good.

Brings back memories of the old TH for initiative 1 then jaws trick

Haha good memories. Especially when that TH was thrown by arjac in the same shooting phase :biggrin.:

Edited by DanPesci

• 1 month later...

Hm.

After continuing to read up on this thread, perhaps rather than asking what's working, why not go with a slightly different approach?

What can we, as players, make work in a way that provides enough synergy to justify the points invested?

Wulfen supporting Aggressors.

Intercessors supporting Long Fangs with Light Fire Support.

Wulfen Dreadnought with (?)

Basically, what works for you, and how? If able to figure out the why, maybe we can as a subforum hammer out some lists that might shift the meta slightly more in our favor?

My two stormwolf packed with wulfen and support list is doing work for me. I also have a logan death star with dreds list that is killing it on the table so far. I'll post either list if people want.

I’d appreciate it if you could.

I want to run 2 stormwolves, 2 units of th/ss wulfen, smash wolf lord and smash wgbl. I’m not sure what to back it up with... I have 3x5 intercessors for cheapish troops. Was thinking maybe aggressors just so they can delete screens coming in on the hunt. Any ideas?

I want to run 2 stormwolves, 2 units of th/ss wulfen, smash wolf lord and smash wgbl. I’m not sure what to back it up with... I have 3x5 intercessors for cheapish troops. Was thinking maybe aggressors just so they can delete screens coming in on the hunt. Any ideas?

You have plenty of hard-hitting firepower but you do need something to stop hordes bogging you down. Aggressors are one option but are a bit limited on mobility.

I am quite a fan of Bolter Inceptors. At 135 points for 18 heavy-bolter shots, they are a pretty good price. They can come in from Reserves or jump up the field with your Smash characters to boost their shooting with rerolls. They are just as durable as Agressors and whilst they cannot fight much in melee, they can FLY meaning they can withdraw and still shoot which may be more beneficial. You can also pick up the DI Inceptors cheaply on eBay if you want.

Another option is to get a Repulsor. This thing absolutely bristles with guns and can provide some transport for your Intercessors if required. Normally 1 lone tank would be a target but since you already have a couple of Stormwolves, your opponent's anti-tank firepower will be stretched that much further. If he ignores your Stormwolves to shoot at the Repulsor, he pretty much guarantees getting 2 packs of Wulfen in the face on T2. :biggrin.:

Hm.

After continuing to read up on this thread, perhaps rather than asking what's working, why not go with a slightly different approach?

What can we, as players, make work in a way that provides enough synergy to justify the points invested?

Wulfen supporting Aggressors.

Intercessors supporting Long Fangs with Light Fire Support.

Wulfen Dreadnought with (?)

Basically, what works for you, and how? If able to figure out the why, maybe we can as a subforum hammer out some lists that might shift the meta slightly more in our favor?

My two stormwolf packed with wulfen and support list is doing work for me. I also have a logan death star with dreds list that is killing it on the table so far. I'll post either list if people want.

I’d appreciate it if you could.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [64 PL, 1,123pts] ++

+ HQ +

Njal Stormcaller [7 PL, 138pts]: 2. Tempest's Wrath, 4. Fury of the Wolf Spirits, 5. Storm Caller

Primaris Battle Leader [4 PL, 75pts]

. Power axe and bolt carbine: Power axe

Wolf Priest [6 PL, 97pts]: Bolt pistol, Jump Packs, Saga of Majesty, The Armour of Russ, Warlord

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Pack Leader: Chainsword

. 4x Intercessor

. 4x Intercessor

+ Flyer +

Stormwolf [16 PL, 279pts]: Twin helfrost cannon

. Two Lascannons: 2x Lascannon

. Two Twin Heavy Bolters: 2x Twin heavy bolter

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [51 PL, 876pts] ++

+ HQ +

Wolf Priest [6 PL, 97pts]: Bolt pistol, Jump Packs

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 155pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [13 PL, 170pts]: 2x Twin autocannon

Wulfen [11 PL, 227pts]

. 4x Thunder hammer & Stormshield: 4x Storm Shield, 4x Thunder Hammer

. 4x Wulfen

. Wulfen Pack Leader: Frost claws

Wulfen [11 PL, 227pts]

. 4x Wulfen

++ Total: [115 PL, 1,999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Adjust as needed. In my meta my Wulfen will be off the table without a rune priest and wolf priest to support them. Put those two with a Wulfen squad in a Stormwolf. Use the Intercessors for your objective holders. Keep the Primaris leader to reroll wound rolls of 1 next to the two dreds. The opponent will have several high value targets to try and deal with. The only problem that all pure SW lists have is limited or zero screening but you have to go with the tools we have.

Thanks for the replies guys. I’m not really sold on the Repulsor but I do like the idea of Redemptors. How good are they? I’d likely try to fit 2 in as extra anti horde as the onslaught cannons seem best.

How important are the Wolf Priests? I went with a Wolf Lord & WGBL both with th/ss and jump packs but I can squeeze a Wolf Priest in I recon if I don’t run a Rune Priest.

I’m also tempted to swap Intercessors for Infiltrators just because I play lots of GSC and they’re the closest to Scouts we’ll get and nicely block of DS and give me board control. Lots of food for thought!

Thanks for the replies guys. I’m not really sold on the Repulsor but I do like the idea of Redemptors. How good are they? I’d likely try to fit 2 in as extra anti horde as the onslaught cannons seem best.

How important are the Wolf Priests? I went with a Wolf Lord & WGBL both with th/ss and jump packs but I can squeeze a Wolf Priest in I recon if I don’t run a Rune Priest.

I’m also tempted to swap Intercessors for Infiltrators just because I play lots of GSC and they’re the closest to Scouts we’ll get and nicely block of DS and give me board control. Lots of food for thought!

I like the Redemptor. It isn't as good IMO as a relic contempt but with the gatling canons you can straight up dakka the loving crap out of people.

Wolf priests are vital for Wulfen. So vital I wouldn't play Wulfen with a WP to babysit them. They give your Wulfen two vital and I mean VITAL bonuses: they let them reroll ALL misses in combat so those TH/SS guys are even nastier. They let Wulfen use the WP Leadership so you won't have them running off the table. Also as a bonus: the WP can heal them too!

There's no reason to ever run Wulfen IMO with at least a WP with them. The Rune priest is there to buff and dispel enemy psykers. If you don't have that to worry about then you can drop a rune priest.

I've got another list with Logan running around with dreds I'll share next.

My Logan and Dred list that I've tinkered with a bit:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [31 PL, 563pts] ++

+ HQ +

Logan Grimnar [9 PL, 170pts]: Warlord

Njal Stormcaller [7 PL, 138pts]: 2. Tempest's Wrath, 3. Murderous Hurricane, 5. Storm Caller

+ Troops +

. 4x Intercessor

. 4x Intercessor

. 4x Intercessor

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [35 PL, 565pts] ++

+ HQ +

Rune Priest [6 PL, 108pts]: 1. Living Lightning, 4. Fury of the Wolf Spirits, Plasma pistol, Psychic hood, Runic staff

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 155pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Venerable Dreadnought [9 PL, 147pts]
. Fenrisian Great Axe and Blizzard Shield: Blizzard shield, Fenrisian great axe, Storm bolter

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [52 PL, 871pts] ++

+ HQ +

Wolf Priest [5 PL, 75pts]: Bolt pistol, The Armour of Russ

+ Elites +

Dreadnought [7 PL, 120pts]: Missile launcher, Twin lascannon

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [13 PL, 170pts]: 2x Twin autocannon

Wulfen [11 PL, 227pts]
. 4x Wulfen

+ Flyer +

++ Total: [118 PL, 1,999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Two Redemptors with their gatling cannons plus the heavy bolters from the storm wolf are going to flat out murder your opponents infantry. You clump the dreds with Logan and Njal and the Wulfen in the Stormwolf have a rune priest and wolf priest to support them.

Anybody else tried Wolf Guard Bikers?

I load mine out with Storm Shields and Storm Bolters, they exist for a single purpose - Killing screen units.

If it doesn't have T8 or a 2+ save the Bikers vaporise it leaving the way open for my Phobos Priest and Wulfen to come storming in from the side.

If the opportunity presents itself I'm happy to charge them into units to force them to fall back and forgo their shooting.

I do love WG bikers. I haven't built any as they are an Index-only unit and I worry they might go away. :sad.:

The Bolter Discipline rule makes them amazing. Maybe I should just go ahead and build myself some but magnetise in case GW take away our toys at a future date.