combat sheilds or not on assault squads.

Imren

Hellow fellows,

I'm building 2x 15 man assault squads for a 1500p AL centurion list for tournament with jump packs and wondering if I should bother modeling them with combat shields or not.

Without shields the units cost 300p each (sgt has power fist, power dagger, a. armour and the rest of the unit have 3x power axes).

Adding combat shield cost additional 45p, I'm wondering if it is worth the extra 6++ against shooting and 5++ against close combat.

I'm planning to have an apothecary with jump pack for each of these two units.

(The rest of the list consist of an Champion in cataphractii, paragon blade and volkite charger, a unit of 2x misslie pod Javelins and a unit of Scimitars with 2x volkite culverin and 7x plasma support squads that footslog together with the termie champ).

If I face close combat lists (WE, SW, EC) I'll stay back, and soften up the enemy with the jetbikes and javelins before moving in with the assault squad, mutable tactics would preferrably be counter charge.

If I face shooty lists (IW, UM, DG, IF) I'll choose infiltrattion behind terrain and hope to be able to charger in with the assaults squads.

Skimmers to us their mobility and stay back and puonds from distance.

So my question is; Taking into account the rest of the list, should I invest in combat shields or not? I feel abit hesitant since I got apothecaries for each unit. What's your experience on combat shields on assault squads?

Thanks guys, I guess in the future in larger point games if I want shields on them I'll drill 2 mm hole in their forearms and magnetise combat shields.

You should consider the local meta a little also, how commonly are ranged AP2/AP3 weapons spammed? Against Ranged AP2/AP3 weaponry your apothecary is far more valuable than combat shields are. Combat Shields are only really useful against very melee capable targets and even against them you would need chaplain in the squad to give them sustain against morale check from casualties. Combat shields are pretty useless if you still end up losing the combat round against powerful unit and then your unit breaks from morale check, that's why I recommend Chaplain.

Then again against weaker targets that you easily outdamage you won't need the combat shields because you already (presumably) win the close combat.

As longer term plan I would suggest you think about equipping one of the units with Combat Shields, Apothecary, Chaplain and some strong melee weapons like Power Axes. This would be your melee power unit to either destroy or bog down very scary melee opponents, like Primarchs and their retinues and other powerful units. Chaplain, Apothecary and squad leader allow you to have 3 characters able to accept challenges so technically the unit will be able to hold out 2 close combat phases without losing Zealot rule.
Should be pointed out though that these kind of bog-down units are probably not needed in 1500 pts games, however in larger point games this kind of unit can be very useful.

Archived