Free update for digital CSM codex

Sception

Announced via facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2262634767390483&id=1575682476085719

If you purchased an ebook version of the current CSM codex, you'll apparently get to download the updated version on the 30th without any additional charge.

Pretty nice for those who, like me, prefer the electronic versions.

Yeah I'd love to go full digital but I have a Kindle, not an ipad so I'm completely out of luck. It's really irritating that the only tabloid device the digital edition works on are apple products. I've tried using digital editions on my phone, but squinting and zooming in on stats is a painful to my eyes.  

Yeah, the epub versions lose a bit of the cosmetic presentions and I think a few minor features, but they're still very solid and provide all of the content in a convenient package. I really like that the points updates from CA books and minor tweaks get rolled out to the files so they stay more current and up-to-date.

Black library these days uses a somewhat hasslesome epub3 format. Epub3 lets the file have specified layputs, fonts, etc, so basically the page layout of the ebook is the same as the page layout of the actual book. Not always an ideal goal when reading on a phone instead of a tablet, but still. Iirc, it also has better ip security.

The problem is, epub3 isnt super duper standardised. And if any little bit of the file doesnt parse quite right in your reader- say, your reader doesnt have the right font, or reads some bit of formatting ever so slightly differently, the whole thing becomes totally illegible. And thats if your preferred reader even tries to handle epub3 in the first place, many dont. The format just isnt very good at all for standard ereading purposes.

I dont know if kindle does epub3, and if it does i dont know if it handles gw's particular files. Im sure istore has some reader that does it, but i dont have specific objections. On android i use an app called 'Infinity Reader' which works well for me.

I've had no problem reading GW's epubs on android (well, except that it's hard on my eyes being so small), but kindle does not support epub at all. There's a converter for epub to mobi (file type that kindle uses), but it hasn't worked at all for converting GW books to mobis, comes out terrible with the script all piled on top of each other and completely unreadable. Hoping that GW considers expanding their file formats in the future. 

Id imagine ki dle is focused on the reader experience for novels or the like, allowing for modifiable font, text size, bacground color etc. Regular epub files, which gw used to use, are like that, small files, easy for the reader to parse, easy for the user to display as they please, emphasis on accessibility. Minimal co trol on how the product looks or the user interacts with it on the part of the publisher.

Not at all what gw wants.

Given the endless creep of technology getting an old tablet for a reasonable price isn't out of the question; it's what I plan to do at some point, but for now, my phone and PC are fine. I completely respect the cost involved, even if it is reasonably cheap, but if you're taking part in this hobby than your perspective on expense should be at least a bit more open. The convenience of having an entire library in one slim portable device has to bring some value to the consideration.

Archived