There's a story set post heresy about him fighting corax and the seclusion starting post fight.

So that's not going to happen.

Well I mean it's rampant wishlisting, so I can wishlist Shadows of the Past into some kind of fever-dream, perhaps by Corax himself.

My other big want (maybe already fulfilled? I haven't been spoiled on Solar War) is for Horus to display any kind of tactical ability, like at all. we sure hear a lot about it for something that has barely manifested in the series at large.

Isstvan III

Isstvan V, Drop Site Massacre

Battle of the Coronid Deeps

Battle of Beta-Garmon

Battle of Molech

Solar War

Horus was the one who plan and made most of the tactical decision in this list

Isstvan III

Isstvan V, Drop Site Massacre

Battle of the Coronid Deeps

Battle of Beta-Garmon

Battle of Molech

Solar War

Horus was the one who plan and made most of the tactical decision in this list

Certainly. but as mentioned I haven't read Solar War so I can't comment for or against him keeping the fleet functional is anything more than charisma, at which point he's got a very significant advantage in forces. 

Beta-Garmon also looked like overwhelming numbers at work, if the defenders saw it as a foregone conclusion I don't get much a sense it was because of Horus' intellect that he won.

I'm aware he's well portrayed in the Black Books, but I mostly meant in the BL products, so I don't count his battle in the Coronid Deeps.

Considering how fantastically inept he was portrayed as in Vengeful Spirit, I'd be surprised if anyone could have lost Molech with his level of resources.

Isstvan III was fine but doesn't strike me as especially out of the box thinking. Same with Isstvan V. 

That leaves Prospero, which I'll grant was a very elegant solution to a potentially enormous problem.

What I mean is that you hear a lot about Horus' genius but in-series he rarely does anything that makes me go "wow, never would have thought of that." Contrast, for example, Timothy Zahn's works in the Star Wars EU. They're always a joy to read because both sides of a plan are acting rationally and frequently using intuitive and obtuse thinking. Not so much with Horus, who wins engagements handed to him on a silver platter before everyone exclaims how genius it was to deploy his troops in an obvious manner.

Just my 2/5ths of a nickel.

Omegon surprises Dorn inside the Vengeful Spirit and cuts off his left arm. Jenetia Krole sacrifices herself, her blade Veracity (made and used by the Emperor) shatters, permanently wounding Omegon

Due to his wounds, Omegon can't lead the Alpha Legion and it fractures even more. Wounded, Dorn is slowed down by the Reavers and Justaerin enough that he doesn't make it in time for the duel

10k years later, an Alpha Legion Chaos Lord challenges both Von Hagen and Darnath Lysander to a duel to the death. Both the Chaos Lord and Von Hagen die, leaving Lysander as Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists

Omegon surprises Dorn inside the Vengeful Spirit and cuts off his left arm. Jenetia Krole sacrifices herself, her blade Veracity (made and used by the Emperor) shatters, permanently wounding Omegon

Due to his wounds, Omegon can't lead the Alpha Legion and it fractures even more. Wounded, Dorn is slowed down by the Reavers and Justaerin enough that he doesn't make it in time for the duel

10k years later, an Alpha Legion Chaos Lord challenges both Von Hagen and Darnath Lysander to a duel to the death. Both the Chaos Lord and Von Hagen die, leaving Lysander as Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists

Stellar ideas mate.  However, I don't know about the Jenetia Krole part, or what the shattering of Veracity signifies.  But Dorn facing Omegon on the Vengeful Spirit is a good idea. 

What I mean is that you hear a lot about Horus' genius but in-series he rarely does anything that makes me go "wow, never would have thought of that." Contrast, for example, Timothy Zahn's works in the Star Wars EU. They're always a joy to read because both sides of a plan are acting rationally and frequently using intuitive and obtuse thinking. Not so much with Horus, who wins engagements handed to him on a silver platter before everyone exclaims how genius it was to deploy his troops in an obvious manner.

It is always difficult to create a fictional character who is a genius at something, particularly if the author himself is not. I agree that Zahn's novels are great and he an author who can really pull it off. Too often what is meant to be tactical genius makes it look like the character is playing on easy mode or they just pull solutions out of thin air. The real genius is an author who can make us believe that their character is a genius. :wink:

Stellar ideas mate. However, I don't know about the Jenetia Krole part, or what the shattering of Veracity signifies. But Dorn facing Omegon on the Vengeful Spirit is a good idea.

Adds more to the Alpha Legion-Imperial Fists rivalry during the Heresy and in the 42nd Millenium. Unless Honsou goes after the Fists I prefer the AL to replace the IW as the current archnemesis to the Sons of Dorn (Have AL go after the BT and CF as well)

Jenetia's rank means she commands all of the SoS. Nobody after hef has the same rank and authority within the Sisters. The shattering of Veracity symbolizes another end to the Emperor's Dreams and also Omegon's mind. The Sos were fractured and lack political power after the Heresy, like during the war against the Beast Ork

It is always difficult to create a fictional character who is a genius at something, particularly if the author himself is not. I agree that Zahn's novels are great and he an author who can really pull it off. Too often what is meant to be tactical genius makes it look like the character is playing on easy mode or they just pull solutions out of thin air. The real genius is an author who can make us believe that their character is a genius. :wink:

Warmaster Abaddon doesn't need to do tactics but only strategy

The guys below him are tactical genius (the BL fleet admiral during the Pandorax Campaign is one example)

.....who can make us believe that their character is a genius. :wink:

I wholeheartedly believe this will be sorted out once space battle concepts are fleshed out further to make more logical sense.

The current idea of using old naval strategies with modern and futuristic weapon systems tunnel visions one's creativity regarding the plot.

Especially, when the setting is war and the major theater of war is space.

Archived