Black Templar livery on Knights Questoris; lore discussion

MOD EDIT: I've split the lore discussion off from the Alternative Bits thread, so as to keep it tidier.

Here's the post that kicks things off; enjoy! MM

Oh, hai. This is applied over standard bits, so you can Templarify any already assembled Knight. Steep price ($75 for preorders) but the quality is nice and the looks! :o

Poutarh.jpg

I'd be more keen if it wasn't so overtly covered in Maltese crosses. I absolutely love the crusader styling of the armour, and the way it can be placed on top of an exiting Knight, but in a universe where Imperial Knights are not part of chapters, but independent, it almost seems a bit too Black Templar.

Edit, apparently they have plans to do blank armour, so I'm happy.

I'd be more keen if it wasn't so overtly covered in Maltese crosses. I absolutely love the crusader styling of the armour, and the way it can be placed on top of an exiting Knight, but in a universe where Imperial Knights are not part of chapters, but independent, it almost seems a bit too Black Templar.

Edit, apparently they have plans to do blank armour, so I'm happy.

Its often happend that - due to respect - one house fought with a chapter changes his heraldry. So its okay to take this colors I think

If you want to be lore accurate this is going too far. There's a world of difference from fighting alongside the Templar and earning the honour of wearing the cross, to having an armor that practically tries to come across as being Templar armor. (Look at how toned down Hawkshroud oathsworn are) This crossed that line. 

That said, far be it for me to tell anyone how they should adorn or paint their plastic giant robots. Marine chapter Knights are extermely popular, there's a small industry of makining knights look like they belong to SW, BA, or heck even Custodes. People enjoy making these, and this Templar one is no different. The armor looks cool and I'm sure it'd look fantastic on a knight painted up as a Black Templar Knight.

But its not really lore accurate (but then again, you're free to change that too for your own personal use, the screeching of lore purists or others like myself be damned)

I imagine if a freeblade decided to swear him/herself to the templars, they could be granted such a livery over they course of a couple crusades, but this would be a "one off" sort of thing, not just uncommon, but the rarest of situations.

Yeah, that makes absolutely no sense on so many levels. A 10k year old freeblade? 

The fact that it's just a small blurb like that, with the source cites as the defunct warhammer visions, makes me think it's some fan's creation that was featured in the magazine, and then taken by the site to be official material?

But again, there's no reason why anyone couldn't have this as their personal fluff for their knight. If they want to do it, they should. 

Not having seen that particular issue, but warhammer visions wasn't exactly a source for story elements or any meaty fluff. It's purpose was literally gushing over huge close ups of officially painted minis, page after page, with like 1 sentence long flavour text blurbs. It'd also do things like showcase minis from the 'eavy metal teams collections and what not. I'd expect the "lore" on the lost knight to be literally a one sentence blurb saying what the wiki page then took as gospel.

One sentence is enough. You can accept or ignore it, same as any other tidbit, but it does show that there's precedent with an official GW-painted model.

With regards to the Freeblade being 10,000 years old, it's entirely possible that the Knight has survived that long. The pilot, though, most likely hasn't. There are plenty of examples of Freeblades passing their Knights down to successive generations.

• 1 month later...

Pardon me for raising this topic from the dead, and pardon me twice, Acebaur, for raising the topic from the dead only to go against your plea to keep the topic to bitz discussion only.

I did however, track down the aforementioned warhammer visions issue to investigate the "Lost Knight". All there really was were a couple of additional pictures and a text blurb oiffering as little info as we already knew.

"The Lost Knight, an Imperial Freeblade painted by Rob Fletcher. The Story behind Rob's knight is that he has served with the Black Templars since the Chapters inception."

So, seems to be fan's personal creation rather official fluff by GW

Again, sorry for the off topic, but figured some people were interested.

Archived