Cyber-Ghouls (Another Renegade Chapter Idea)

InAction

Augh, I'm having bad thoughts. I've been seeing a lot of these new Chaos models coming out, which has gotten me to really getting back to the game and hobby, do a proper canon army, but... I kind of want to do another homebrew. Maybe.

See, while ago I came up with something - a kind of renegade Marine chapter I rolled up with DW creation rules that I'd thought a few times might lend themselves well to Chaos shenanigans.

Rolling up I came out with a BA successor chapter made during the Cursed Founding that had loads of mutations; hyper-simulated Omophagea, oversensitive Occulobe, mutated Catalepsean Node, among some lost and/or damaged zygotes. Coupled later with some other rolls (possessing unique organization, Chapter cult, Steel Over Flesh belief, lack of Apothecaries), what I got out of this was that these Marines began to suffer so heavily from mutations that it led the Chapter to ruin; certain organ-implants grew to be weak and atrophied so they are left dark-eyed and shunning any bright light, incapable of steady sleep cycles, and an intense craving for flesh. Their Apothecaries weren't capable of administering to their marines' ailments, requiring them to adopt a radically divergent structure that embraced the use of devices and augmetics to keep themselves afloat all the while as they grew to be more and more monstrous.Also rolled that their homeworld was destroyed and that they are enemies of the Inquisition. So from that they were found out after having crossed some lines - maybe feeding on Imperial citizens or something there of. So they get routed by the Inquisition, their homeworld is destroyed, and what remains of the chapter is scattered to the winds.

At the time I'd thought that their ultimate fate after was that they'd retreat to a Space Hulk and from there just subsist on lost ships or unfortunate visitors that try to explore it, a ravenous horde that have been reduced to cannibalizing anyone just to survive.

TLDR; Blood Angels turned into cyber-ghouls

Maybe there's something there? That after a time the remains of their cult just starts trending towards Chaos and they begin to invoke the Ruinous Powers to revitalize them.

Working name I have for them is "the Iron Host".

Oh, there's definitely something there!

The mutations they have sound very ghoul or vampire-like as you say, which is entirely fitting with the blood angels. It sounds like a very extreme version of the red thirst in a way?

To make their downfall all the more tragic, rather than have the inquisition Exterminatus-ate their planet, what if they end up feeding on all the population of their homeworld?

They also sound like they'd be prime material for falling to a Chaos god - however, I don't think that should be Khorne, despite all the blood flow and murder etc. Instead, there unceasing thirst - more flesh, ever more flesh - sounds much more like Slaanesh worship then anything else...

Definitely sounds like a plausible idea to me. I think you'd want to make the background for one even that really pushes them over the edge- maybe they sate their hunger on some imperial citizens they are supposed to be defending, the inquisition investigates and finds that they've been doing that for years on their home world, which then leads to the inquisition lead attack on the chapter.   

Archived