Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

May (?) White Dwarf - Rise of the Ynnari

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
169 replies to this topic

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,932 posts
LvI71JU.jpg

Just an index. ;)

Edit: edited title in light of recent news.

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka, 01 April 2019 - 09:05 AM.

• Noserenda and Spyros like this

mkbKIlr.png

NTaW

NTaW

++ SUSPECTAVI VENEFICI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,601 posts
Is an Index rules or lore in a WD?

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,702 posts

Both.

January had an Index article on the Crimson Fists that, ruleswise, included more Stratagems, Warlord Traits, and relics.

March's Index article on Assassins totally revised them and replaced their rules and datasheets from Index Imperium 2.

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,300 posts
  • Faction: Astral Claws, Mantis Warriors

With the Assassins it was a bit of both, didn't get the Crimson Fists one though.

Is there anything else from Index: Xenos that hasn't got a Codex? I can't find Index: Xenos on their webstore, so that would make sense.

Rik

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves, 
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

Jorin Helm-splitter

Jorin Helm-splitter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,014 posts
Would be great if they found a better mechanic than soul burst.

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,263 posts

I'd have thought we'd be seeing a real codex for these guys very soon, so this is a surprise. 

NTaW

NTaW

++ SUSPECTAVI VENEFICI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,601 posts
Thanks for the responses, I hadn't even realized the recent Assassin rules update had that name. Not and Eldar player or even fan personally but new stuff is good for everyone!
  • Sparkiered likes this

Jorin Helm-splitter

Jorin Helm-splitter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,014 posts

I'd have thought we'd be seeing a real codex for these guys very soon, so this is a surprise.

I would think with the size of the chaos release, another wave of primaris coming, and Sisters getting a codex this year that it would be hard for them to fit in a codex for a fraction that has 3 models. There just is alot that they would need to stand alone. This seems like a good solution to fixing them in the short term, before they became a fleshed out fraction.
  • shandwen and Karhedron like this

The Blood Raven

The Blood Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,187 posts
  • Faction: Cosmic Chorus
I was really hoping for a full codex with new units that would transition the Eldar into a more distinctive aesthetic. The Eldar units have remained largely the same since 2nd edition and many models date from that time as well.

I’m disappointed but hopefully this index encourages greater list diversity when it comes to the Eldar faction.

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,179 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
Here’s comes that nerf bat .
  • Iron Father Ferrum, Kierdale, Volt and 4 others like this
=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,831 posts

I hope so but doubt it, it’ll actually boost them even more.
  • Iron Father Ferrum, Volt and Lord Raven 19 like this

gallery_86689_11936_21517.pngsml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

Stofficus

Stofficus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 437 posts

I hope so but doubt it, it’ll actually boost them even more.

Remember when 6th ed Eldar were hilariously broken, and then with their 7th ed book, GW decided to buff them even more

My Death Korps certainly do. 

• Black Blow Fly, Stoic Raptor, Raven1 and 9 others like this
Therefore, I conclude, Valve should announce Half Life 2: Episode 3.
Posted Image

The Blood Raven

The Blood Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,187 posts
  • Faction: Cosmic Chorus
I remember trying to play Eldar in 5th edition with a 4th edition codex. No fun. Now codexes are largely irrelevant since people can pick and choose from several.

It’s also not much fun playing an army/faction wherein the same units are taken no matter the points level, player skill, or where the game happens.
  • Bruce Malcom likes this

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,064 posts

Not sure I like the change in naming convention. It should just be Index Xenos: Ynnari or something. Simple, straightforward, not trying to suggest some kind of story turn.

Like how the Crimson Fists one was just called Crimson Fists and not "INDEX: PEDRO IS COMING FOR YOU"

• Azekai, Celtic_cauldron, Lord Raven 19 and 1 other like this

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_02.jpg

Shield-Captain

Shield-Captain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 104 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Custodes
Well that is a bummer.

23.jpg

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,111 posts
Makes sense as unless you are going to REALLY shake up the Aeldari status quo, with new models and a book that would require untold playtesting, Ynnari is probably just in need of a few tweaks and some unique strats/ relics/ powers/ traits.

Personally I don't think Eldar are getting anything for a while. If any it'll be Plastic Aspects or perhaps NEW aspects Bourne out of the new lore in plastic.

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,649 posts
  • Faction: Orks!
It still seems completely weird to me that GW created this ad hoc Eldar supergroup, gave it enormous importance in the background, then just...utterly ignored it for years on end.
  • Felix Antipodes, Dosjetka, Ranwulf and 10 others like this

gallery_23421_16101_14266.png

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,111 posts

It still seems completely weird to me that GW created this ad hoc Eldar supergroup, gave it enormous importance in the background, then just...utterly ignored it for years on end.

To be fair, it's only been what - two years? If that? Since then we've had an entirely new edition too.

The release schedule has been packed and they still got an update for indexes back when.

They're a niche army so wouldn't be right to give them a full focus until the other more traditional forces are completed.
  • Nemesor Tyriks likes this

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,263 posts

I would think with the size of the chaos release, another wave of primaris coming, and Sisters getting a codex this year that it would be hard for them to fit in a codex for a fraction that has 3 models. There just is alot that they would need to stand alone. This seems like a good solution to fixing them in the short term, before they became a fleshed out fraction.

Yep, that’s a great point. Especially as they’ve said we’ll see new AoS armies this year.

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 839 posts

For the record, this is a teaser in the April issue for an article that will actually be in the MAY issue, isn't it?

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

For the record, this is a teaser in the April issue for an article that will actually be in the MAY issue, isn't it?

Since it says "next month" and it wasn't in the March issue, yeah. ^^

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,400 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion

I'm not surprised this is an Index. A complete codex would simply regurgitate many units, rules, weapons, and wargear that appear in the other three Aeldari codices. An Index brings the lore to 8th edition, as well as revised rules that can be very streamlined.

• Black Blow Fly and Shinespider like this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

I'm not surprised this is an Index. A complete codex would simply regurgitate many units, rules, weapons, and wargear that appear in the other three Aeldari codices. An Index brings the lore to 8th edition, as well as revised rules that can be very streamlined.

Not necessarily. GW could easily create whole new units for the Ynnari to use. Even in-universe enough time passed for them to form a new distinct cult.

It comes for me as a surprise as well. Considering how important GW made them and how they came out of nowhere with a whole new god and everything I would have bet money on them getting more attention with new models/units and eventually their own Codex. Apparently I got lucky that I don't bet money though. Maybe in a few years GW will come back to them but for now Ynnari seem to be stuck like this.

• Bruce Malcom likes this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 839 posts

Since it says "next month" and it wasn't in the March issue, yeah. ^^

I figured as much, but the thread title implied otherwise.

At this rate, that White Dwarf feature might actually manage to cover another Space Marines chapter this year (unless they decide to start covering 'Index Militarum' in addition to the Sisters of Silence and the Inquisition, who I believe are now the only Index-only holdouts).

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,649 posts
  • Faction: Orks!

They're a niche army so wouldn't be right to give them a full focus until the other more traditional forces are completed.

Eh, I dunno - they’ve both released and fleshed out other “niche” forces in the meantime. Death Guard, Imperial Knights, Genestraler Cults, etc. They’ve all gotten full Codexes and new models since 8th Ed hit. The Ynnari are at least as important as any of them to the background, representing an enormous shift in Eldar cosmology and society, but there’s been very little actual coverage.

I’m not really put out by it, personally - like anything from Gathering Storm and beyond, the Ynnari are dumb garbage written for the express purpose of providing in-universe justification for a business model. It’s still weird that there’s been near silence on them since 8th’s release, tho.
  • Brother Chaplain Kage, Bulwyf and CaptainFrederickson like this

gallery_23421_16101_14266.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users