Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

May (?) White Dwarf - Rise of the Ynnari

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
169 replies to this topic

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,306 posts
It could be that they are going to get the same treatment that the sisters got with a beta book. It seems likely that sisters pushed something out of the release schedule when they were unexpectedly demanded by the community.

The crimson fists article coincided with the upgrade sprue so it is possible that some plastic will accompany the article.

PiñaColada

PiñaColada

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,132 posts

I'm sort of wondering if it's possible that GW put the brakes on the Ynnari because of their lukewarm reception (at least in my experience). I haven't really met anyone that actually likes their fluff over say, normal craftworlds, and their current rules leave much to be desired. That put them in a spot where people didn't enjoy facing them or reading about them.

It's quite possible (IMO) that GW wrote a sort of lazy codex for them that was due to be released sometime last year but realised they actually needed a bit more effort put into the faction. Therefore they're putting this index into WD as a stop-gap before a more thorough codex drops later in the year. Perhaps also coinciding with a new Ynnari kit or two, or barring that, some new CWE/DE kit that they can ally in.

This is all baseless speculation on my part mind you, but I can't imagine GW are happy with how Ynnari are perceived at the moment. Unless of course the faction has more fans than I know about (not counting the meta chasers).

• Noserenda and Doctor Perils like this

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,831 posts
I’m personally hoping they don’t get fleshed out, the last thing the game needs is more options to strengthen Eldar. Until GW show that they can balance that faction then I don’t want to see any new units for them.
  • Dracos, DuskRaider and Juggernut like this

gallery_86689_11936_21517.pngsml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

ShibeKing

ShibeKing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 310 posts

Definitely excited for this one. I can't wait to see what new tricks I can pull off considering a soulburst nerf is inevitable.

• Lord Raven 19 likes this

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,767 posts
In a hundred years you'd expect a new culture would develop between these three sections of the formative culture - a ynarri creole or fusion - as that's at least one new generation for the two main ethnic groups, I think. I had hoped for something more inspired, like the new elf and dwarf factions in aos, from the ynarri. Something which shows GW go somewhere really new in design language with any of the aliens. Maybe eventually we'll have that release - but not for now it seems.
  • The Blood Raven likes this
Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,829 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

They're a niche army so wouldn't be right to give them a full focus until the other more traditional forces are completed.

Eh, I dunno - they’ve both released and fleshed out other “niche” forces in the meantime. Death Guard, Imperial Knights, Genestraler Cults, etc. They’ve all gotten full Codexes and new models since 8th Ed hit. The Ynnari are at least as important as any of them to the background, representing an enormous shift in Eldar cosmology and society, but there’s been very little actual coverage.

I’m not really put out by it, personally - like anything from Gathering Storm and beyond, the Ynnari are dumb garbage written for the express purpose of providing in-universe justification for a business model. It’s still weird that there’s been near silence on them since 8th’s release, tho.

I think it's a question of "When" and not "If. The release schedule has been pretty packed ever since The Gathering Storm. Ynaari kind of work as they do now, being an awkward but fluffy Eldar Soup. Based on absolutely nothing, I think we'll see fleshed out Ynaari after Sisters, just because at that point most ranges - save Guard infantry, Grey Knight rules and Craftworld Eldar - are on a pretty decent, if uneven, level of modern and they can start pushing the envelope a bit in terms of introducing new stuff.

It wouldn't shock me if they're being saved for a Ynaari vs Emperor's Children boxset, since that seems to be GW's new favourite way of 'previewing' larger releases.

Edited by Lord Marshal, 27 March 2019 - 10:58 AM.

gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.png

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,648 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I’m personally hoping they don’t get fleshed out, the last thing the game needs is more options to strengthen Eldar. Until GW show that they can balance that faction then I don’t want to see any new units for them.

As a tournament regular who hates seeing Eldar I wouldn't mind Eldar getting more competitive options. Eldar are top tier but their top tier is so samey that any change would be welcome.

Nowadays Eldar soup isn't really Ynnari based, its dark eldar with a few Eldar heroes added but no Ynnari while the Ynnari armies tend to be pure craftworlds plus Yvraine.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

In a hundred years you'd expect a new culture would develop between these three sections of the formative culture - a ynarri creole or fusion - as that's at least one new generation for the two main ethnic groups, I think. I had hoped for something more inspired, like the new elf and dwarf factions in aos, from the ynarri. Something which shows GW go somewhere really new in design language with any of the aliens. Maybe eventually we'll have that release - but not for now it seems.

I agree about the forming of a new culture in all that time, but keep in mind that there aren't new Eldar generations. Afaik they're stuck with the people they have and are ultimately doomed to go extinct sooner than later.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,598 posts

I agree about the forming of a new culture in all that time, but keep in mind that there aren't new Eldar generations. Afaik they're stuck with the people they have and are ultimately doomed to go extinct sooner than later.
They do have kids but it's super rare. Like each birth is considered to basically be a miracle.
  • Panzer likes this

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,701 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

I'm not super informed on Eldar lore, but I was under the impression the Craftworlders have kids rarely and the Dark Eldar have them more frequently. It's still no where near the nine months it take to make a human naturally, but it does happen. Wasn't there an eldar book by Gav Thorpe where none of the characters were alive for the Fall?

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,300 posts
  • Faction: Astral Claws, Mantis Warriors

I'm not super informed on Eldar lore, but I was under the impression the Craftworlders have kids rarely and the Dark Eldar have them more frequently. It's still no where near the nine months it take to make a human naturally, but it does happen. Wasn't there an eldar book by Gav Thorpe where none of the characters were alive for the Fall?

It's also about how long Eldar take to reach "maturity" and be considered adults.

Their children and adolescents need a lot of guiding and mentoring to be able to take on the Paths of Eldar life, so essentially it requires an Eldar couple to spend 100 years on "The Path of the Parent" which as someone 10 years into being a human parent doesn't sound too appealing.

Rik

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves, 
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,064 posts

I think if they were to flesh out the Ynnari, they'd do it in a way that also fleshes out the other Eldar.

Like, a new Aspect Warrior shrine that focuses on Ynnead. They'd be themed in a Ynnari sort of way but you could use them as regular craftworlders to.

Or a Commoragh death-cult dedicated to Ynnead. Again, the aesthetics would be rooted in Ynnari, but they can also run with Kabals. 

Edited by Shinespider, 27 March 2019 - 01:00 PM.

• The Blood Raven, Felix Antipodes and OgreOnAStick like this

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_02.jpg

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,279 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

It's also about how long Eldar take to reach "maturity" and be considered adults.

Their children and adolescents need a lot of guiding and mentoring to be able to take on the Paths of Eldar life, so essentially it requires an Eldar couple to spend 100 years on "The Path of the Parent" which as someone 10 years into being a human parent doesn't sound too appealing.

Rik

Well to be honest, if they spent less time whining about past glories and seeking to restore the past and instead move into the future that is now they might realise that spending a millenia or two doing some population rebuilding would be a good idea instead of having not only losses to war but also to temples due to being lost on them. Seriously...they need to get off their windriders and get riding! (or however eldar do it...I mean...not really an explored area of xenobiology...I believe).

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,400 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion

All interesting conversation, but more appropriate to the Aeldari forum (the parent Aeldari forum where the Ynnari are discussed).

Let's confine this to news/rumors about the contents of the Index Xenos article that will be arriving in May.

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 750 posts
  • Faction: Custodes, Eldar, Admech

I notice the Incubi in the background of the picture there, painted in the same red as the Visarch - which is one of the named groups in the Ynnari novels, I forget what.  But both him and Yvraine have some special bodyguards too.  So I wonder if they might get some rules that make them distinct from the rest?

Or perhaps if we'll get a list of 'can count as Ynnari in mixed lists' units? 

Plus I could see Eldrad, Prince Yriel, and the named Autarch from the novel also being brought into the fold somehow?

Finally, I'd note they said somewhere that the Sisters Beta Codex thing isn't going to be the only one, and they'll likely use White Dwarf for future betas... 

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,932 posts

Just got my WD today; Rise of the Ynnari isn't on the reverse. Take it that's from the reverse of the May WD.

April WD article on painting Horus Heresy legions is good, though.

mkbKIlr.png

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 939 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

It's quite possible (IMO) that GW wrote a sort of lazy codex for them that was due to be released sometime last year but realised they actually needed a bit more effort put into the faction.

Ahh yes the Grey Knight approach as it's called in GW I believe. teehee.gif

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,234 posts

Finally, I'd note they said somewhere that the Sisters Beta Codex thing isn't going to be the only one, and they'll likely use White Dwarf for future betas...

This is slightly annoying. Personally I would rather see this stuff rolled up into Chapter approved. Having to carry around numerous issues of WD as well as rules, Codices, campaign suppliments etc gets irritating. 8th edition is less than 2 years old and already the rulebook bloat is getting out of hand.

Maybe its time I went digital.
  • Subtleknife likes this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,799 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

This is slightly annoying. Personally I would rather see this stuff rolled up into Chapter approved. Having to carry around numerous issues of WD as well as rules, Codices, campaign suppliments etc gets irritating. 8th edition is less than 2 years old and already the rulebook bloat is getting out of hand.

Maybe its time I went digital.

Lol and people said 7th had too much bloat, 8th is just as bad. 

Digital is a good idea. 

• Karhedron and Subtleknife like this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

Feral_80

Feral_80

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 668 posts
Digital is actually the only way to make the incredible mess of 8th ed playable (in practical terms) right now, but then again certainly not the digital GW has adopted so far. I mean free, constantly updated digital codex and *one* ruleset with all faqs, add-ons, clarifications, tweaks, etc. Anyway.

As for Ynnari: I think we all agree they are a tremendously stupid faction lore-wise, and tremendously annoying rule-wise. They should never have been created in the first place, also because they only served to make an already broken faction even more broken and boring to play (with/against). Still, while sadly we won't ever get rid of them now, I am not sure they will stay as they are either.

In fact, in the past GW has already created new factions out of nowhere, or from a couple units first published on WD (Necrons). And one of these newly born factions, despite originally having been met with immense contempt by the community due to having nothing to do with the 40k style, is now accepted as an established and respectable (more or less) faction: Tau. So, who knows what the plans are about the Ynnari. One thing is certain: GW never admits its mistakes, so no way they are removing them from the game as they would deserve.

Edited by Feral_80, 02 April 2019 - 09:40 PM.

• Scribe, Karhedron, D3L and 1 other like this

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 750 posts
  • Faction: Custodes, Eldar, Admech

As for Ynnari: I think we all agree they are a tremendously stupid faction lore-wise, and tremendously annoying rule-wise. They should never have been created in the first place, also because they only served to make an already broken faction even more broken and boring to play (with/against). Still, while sadly we won't ever get rid of them now, I am not sure they will stay as they are either.

Speak for yourself, I freaking love the Ynnari from a story standpoint - best move 40k's made in ages, and barely even play them due to not liking to play broken stuff, it's no fun if I'm always crushing my opponents. 

• Felix Antipodes, Bryan Blaire, Shinespider and 5 others like this

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,916 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

Disagree, so you think incorrectly.

And the Ynnari need more written and fleshed out for them, make them worthy of the idea that they are the culmination of a decade or more of story-building by hint for the Eldar. Yes, they need rules tweaks, but they need expansion as well - some unique units and models, possibly even an upgrade sprue to make existing Eldar models have a Ynnari appearance.
  • Felix Antipodes, Huggtand, Slave to Darkness and 2 others like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Tordeck

Tordeck

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 145 posts
  • Faction: Chaos
Personally I would rather see this stuff rolled up into Chapter approved.

According to GW CA 2019 will have all the Index stuff from WDs.

• Karhedron likes this

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,300 posts
  • Faction: Astral Claws, Mantis Warriors

Exactly, and for those of us who want some of these rules a little bit earlier, like myself with the assassins, we can get the White Dwarf to cover us.

Rik

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves, 
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,743 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé

glad of that... as I very infrequently buy WD... although I did pick up the assassins one

Dyspraxic & Dyslexic  - So I might not write/explain what I think I have as clearly as intended to.... 

I'm confussed... what side of the fence am I on???

happy.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users