A long War vet returns- Iron Warriors project

I thought I would share a pet project I have been wanting to do for some years now- Iron Warriors. I have been in 40k since 3rd edition, having lurked here as a guest, finally deciding to join up recently. My first army was Black Legion with the glorious 3,5 dex. After the 4th ed decimations onwards I switched to Space Marines, they were just red and grey and I proxied them for everything from 4-7 edition. End of 6th start of 7th I was burned out by the flyer meta so moved on to other systems. I kept tabs on the hobby, via the net and kept following along with the Horus Heresy novels, which were replenishing that old hunger for 40K, healing my wounds from the 6-7th ed airshow I endured haha.

Having done my research and seen the chaos legions fortunes little improved, I still picked chaos because of the modeling opportunities, IW is my second favourite of the Legions as well. Not to mention forgeworlds expansion of the HH tipped me over to come back. The idea is a scourging era IW force I can use in 40k, with some models I can part out for 30K to slow grow into that system at some point. Here is what I achieved in three months so far.

gallery_154982_15357_732184.jpeg

EDIT Sorry I don't know the code to link it direct to the thread, will change if someone could help...

Edit2- lol I worked it out.

Edited by MegaVolt87

So what is in the potato picture here is-

6 melta gunners, 6 plasma gunners, 6 flamers (all Mk III)

15 kitbashed CSM with bolters- these were havock members, thats changing now (parts from old CSM, old/new SM tac squads, khorne bezerkers parts)

30 CSM troops (parts from old CSM, old/new SM tac squads, khorne bezerkers parts)

15 havocks- 4 las cannon, 2 ML, 2 autocannon, 4 heavy bolters, champions (mix old havocs, new SM devastators, some Mk3), old CSM)

1 terminator lord (indomnitus), 1 Terminator lord (plastic cataphractii), Warpsmith (finecast), converted Warsmith (metal one)

20 terminators (5 CSM old indomnitus, 10 cataphractii- magnetized, 5 tyrants)

10 CSM raptors (new plastics, though I have 10 metal ones from my BL I shelved)

10 chosen (FW combi meltas, mk 3 plastics, IW heads upgrades- I love this unit looks great)

2 FW Sicarian tanks, fully magnetized (I had these for a month but were assembled in two days when my internet was out for a week haha)

I have 10 rotor cannons from FW in the mail, Mk III squad and somehow I ended up with a Spartan Assault tank in the FW basket checkout, even though I only really needed the rotor cannons. :whistling: Most of the stuff here is base coated, some WIP painted, that leadbelcher spray is good stuff. However it was a bit traumatic re-basing a lot of the CSM troopers to 32mm from 25mm, they were earmarked for BL at one point. Thankfully I didn't assemble with bolters, so I used Mk IV ones I ordered online. Only have the 15 Havocs on the 25mm, waiting on what the likely base size is on the new 5 man havocs for Vigilus Ablaze. 

gallery_154982_15357_302458.jpg

Sorry this is as good as I can get pictures at the moment, I'll see if I can find the other camera. Anyway here is my Warsmith, power axe + combi plasma. Was hoping for a new generic termi CSM lord with new chaos stuff in Vigilus, looks like that ended up just a re-pack of the existing model. Just going forward, I am thinking of changing the base colour, so this grey rad waste style may change. Also I have the FW IW transfers, I like to add those last and just batch transfer + base, then matte varnish. So no eta on bases + transfers added if I put up more pics of infantry.

gallery_154982_15357_86961.jpeg

Here are some Iron Warrior indomnitus terminators with Power axes, combi bolters, power sword champ and reaper cannon. After the new CSM terminators reveal, I changed my mind and these guys will stay in service instead of decimation retirement. These guys are the Warsmith's bodyguard/ old command squad.

With the terminators, I used rusty SM helms on the base because I couldn't decide what colour they should be. Yellow was a bit obvious, so I just kept it rusty to be anyone really. Also the sword is from the old DA deathwing upgrade sprue, back when the Raven Wing battleforce was around (4th ed ?), with a swishy top knot trimmed for the end. It's one of the best power swords in the range IMO. No idea if its in the new deathwing box. I think trimming off the blades from the combi bolters and reaper look much better scaled. The bayonets are far too big otherwise for me. The style on the champ with sword I can live with- but just one. 

Just a quick update today. I found some old CSM bikers that are pretty rough in my older miniatures storage. I drafted a new list and had some spare points, so thought x4 CSM bikers with x2 plasma gun seem like a good option with the points cuts. Here are what they look like right now- they need a bit of work, but the bones are good. What bases would I need? I assume the old rectangle cav bases are no longer valid.

gallery_154982_15357_61852.jpg

Fresh off the forge, I finally detailed the 10 man Raptor squad. I was a bit nervous seeing them in the grey plastic, they looked very busy with detail. The muted colour palette definitely helps in making the detail not appear as busy. I only painted gold trim everywhere on the champion, he stands out really well as a result. Not sure if I will add a bolt pistol holster and chainsword to the melta gunners, since I will not be using the melta guns (probably). I got CSM bikes, FW rotor cannons and the 15 havocs needing re-basing on the desk, who knows what I will post up next.

gallery_154982_15357_93860.jpeg

gallery_154982_15357_783305.jpeg

Edited by MegaVolt87

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PROJECT UPDATE-

Happy to say my x10 tartaros terminators came in the mail today. Love the kit, I will be converting all 10 combi bolters to combi plasma, to use on the magnetized cataphractii. So I will have all the tartaros NOT magnetized. I will magnetize the plasma blasters and volkite for the cataphractii to use as well (2 eack I think).

gallery_154982_15357_620836.jpg

Also I found myself very unhappy with the Harkan World Claimer model. So I made my own version. I took cues from the FW Night Lord praetor. Used a plastic Mk IV jump pack from sang guard, head from Mk III tac squad, Mk III tac squad shoulder pads. Mounting it to the chainsword was a challenge, I don't see this particular model as a gaming piece I can travel with away from home unfortunately. :sad.: At the moment its just a one off Night Lord, could spark or not no idea. Doing one off character was actually pretty fun, might do more in the future.

gallery_154982_15359_628740.jpg

Edited by MegaVolt87

Got a good deal on x4 shadowspear obliterators. I am converting this particular one to be a demon prince, who morphs his favourite load out- to get through fortifications clearly. :teehee: Its still being clipped/ filed etc, GS sculpting after I get the form I am after- especially the legs.

gallery_154982_15357_401744.jpeg

gallery_154982_15357_208248.jpeg