A long War vet returns- Iron Warriors project

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fantastic work! I've been out for most of 9 years and have recently dug out the old storage boxes where my army has been hibernating for all that time. I'm happy to see that I'm not alone resurrecting an old chaos force!

Your guys look amazing, well done! :smile.:

Definitely, its surreal digging up old mini's, finding while the old paint jobs don't quite hold up, conversions are still pretty nicely done etc. Newer kits, like the mk III's also help, its nice to finally execute idea's after decades due to a more accessible kit. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I did some work on the IW's, well Borderlands 3 happened.... Anyway, here are the rotor/ reaper chain cannons done finally. Well I will return to them at some point if I can find a good tutorial for glowing hot mini gun barrels, for now they are pretty much 80% done (base, transfer, barel effects needed.)

gallery_154982_15357_92124.jpg

Edited by MegaVolt87

The power armour looks nice what paints are you using? 

Its just GW paints, its really basic as well.

Chaos black spray, leadbelcher spray, gold is just hashut copper, Abaddon Black on places like pads, non gloss nuln oil wash, agrax non gloss wash over everything. The trick to the metal highlights is to watch the pooling across the model and wait for each wash to completely dry. You could go back again with leadbelcher and Hashult, but I like more subdued highlights. Dark reaper highlight for the black last. Also GW washes behaves differently when you go just under 50% empty. At that point, use fresh bottles otherwise the finish will be different across the mini's. I noticed it right away on some testors with less empty washes VS fuller ones. 

The hazard stripes here were just one layer mournfang brown, then 1-2 layers Averland sunset with a bit of the brown showing at the edge as some patina. The original was grey>white>averland, was too bright so I glazed with agrax to tone down. The new method on these chain cannons is much better IMO, less bright but bright enough. 

Eyes were thinned khorne red, thinned troll slayer orange close to nose bridge, then white scar dot in corner on the red part. Small brush, steady hand and thinned paint gets really good results. It really looks good, its like painting gemstones, same principles. 

Base is just the basic one from the old how to paint citadel miniatures book. Asgronite>Athonian Camoshade> underhive ash> steel legion drab rim. 

My paint style is inspired from how FW does its HH stuff, minimal highlights, weathering, battle damage, more subdued etc. I just don't have the patience for more than one layer of highlights. I would go mad doing 3+ highlights on black etc. 

• 2 months later...

Very nice work on Narik there! The skin is quite nice. How'd you do that?

Narik skin was a lengthy one. I saw similar on insta for HH Destroyers.I had a guess and how I did it looks pretty close to the one I saw. 

Base- chaos black

layer 1- Mournfang brown

layer 2- cadian fleshtone (receses still mournfang brown)

Wash- heavy wash druchii violet (watch out for pooling +run off)

Layer 3- 1:1 or 1:2 of  cadian fleshtone +white scar highlight on raised areas (keep receses again clear of this step)

Layer 4- either 2:1 or 3:1 blend of grey seer + genestealer purple

Final detail- small amount of blood for the blood god technical near cybernetic/ side of the head as head wound/ implant not healing. less is more, you can add more of this stuff but can't take it away.

Also you gotta wait till each step dries properly or it won't look good. For my grunts I just stop at layer 2, since this was a character I thought I would put more effort in. I could do it for other grunts but too lazy. Up to layer 2 is good enough for rank and file for me. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...